How good are Imbel 1911's?

New_comer

Hello all :)

I've come across an Imbel 1911 38 super for sale at around $490. Here's the description the owner published, along with a couple of photos:
Imbel .38 Super pistol; made in brazil by Imbel, makers of another world-famous brand, Springfield Armory. Set in the timeless design of John Browning, the classic Government Model M1911A1. The pistol features an Ed Brown beavertail, match trigger, front and backstrap checkering, flared ejection port, polished feed ramp and is hardchromed. it also comes with 2 slightly used colt and mecgar 8-round mags and one brand new 10-round Shooting Star mag. will throw in around 50 rounds of ammo and case. excellently maintained, must see to appreciate.
1032655501.jpg

10326555012e.jpg

Good buy?

Thanks for all your comments ;)

New_comer

P.S.

I was also thinking of the possiblility of converting it into a race gun later on, maybe replacing the stock receiver with a high-cap frame, installing a compensator, the works...

'Tis ok to do with this as a base gun?

Thanks again... :D

Chapman

New_comer,

Here's a link to the Imbel website: http://www.southamerica.com.br/eng/index.html

If you're planning to convert it into a race gun later on then you will be better off buying an STI. Since you want a race gun, it's better to start with a hi-cap frame right away than buying a single-stack frame and changing parts along the way. Won't be cost effective if you ask me.

Chapman

New_comer

Thanks for the link, Chapman! ;)

Yeah... I guess the idea of "dressing up" a single-stack Imbel is a poor proposition for now, considering the underwhelming response this thread got so far...

Unfortunately, I'd have to scrap that STI idea too. A Trojan is worth $1500 already. What more for a double stack STI original...

Oh well :rolleyes:

The search continues... :D