How good are barrel liners for a rimfire?

mikenbarb

I got a shot out .22 rimfire and wondering if its worth the money to have a liner installed vs another barrel. Its for an old Savage single shot bolt action. And where is a good place to buy one except Midway? Thanks.

Tom2

I have had guns relined and it works OK as long as the smith does a good job of it. First the gun must be worth the trouble or something that is an heirloom or just that you want to shoot, as with alot of cheap rimfire rifles, the cost of relining it correctly may not be economical. A good smith can make the seam at the muzzle practically invisible. Then they have to chamber the liner correctly at the other end of the barrel. But once it is done, it can make a shooter out of a dud. It is not something I would try to do myself without being a machinist or having smith experience. But I think a rimfire job would be cheaper than the centerfires I had done. As for a new barrel, where do you expect to find a good barrel for an old rifle like that? Probably any pulled barrels that might match the gun will be not alot better. If you really think the gun is a keeper or will get alot of use out of it, then the cost may be immaterial as you are looking at using, not turning around for a profit, which will be nil. Talk to the smith who will be doing the work, versus trying to buy it and then have them install it. There are some listed in places like Shotgun News gunsmith section.

Scorch

I would recommend a new barrel if feasible. Relining a barrel works fine, but the machine time required and the labor required may cost as much as a new barrel.
You can buy barrel liners from Brownells or Midway.

kraigwy

I've relined several 22 barrels. I think that would be a cheaper route. Brownells instructions say you can do it with a slow turning power drill but I do it on a lathe. Its really simple, get the drill bit from brownells when you get the liner. Drill out the barrel from the breach in. Take some ruff sand paper and bullf up the out side of the liner. Clean the cutting fluid out of the barrel. You can either silver soder the liner in or like I do, use Brownells accra jel (thats why you ruffed up the liner). Slide the barrel in. Chamber and head space it then cut the crown. I'll rebarrel or instal the liners, I'd charge more for the re-barreling. There is more work to re-barreling.