Commygun

I would be interested to hear about anyone's
experience with, or knowledge of, the effect-
iveness of shotgun slugs in hunting or self-
defense situations. Also, how accurate are
they from rifled or smoothbore barrels?

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Killed maybe 15 deer with them,and used within their range, they're quite effective.

I've two 870 Remingtons that I've shot slugs with extensively. One's a smoothbore that "likes" Brennekes, the other has a rifled tube and the old Winchester 1 oz Forster style works best in that.

As a loose rule, in fully rifles bbls the sabot types shoot best, but after some herd control hunts we've noticed the blood trails are longer than those of the full bore diameter stuff.

And, there's no hard and fast "best" slug. There's also no ineffective slugs. Wounds with any are huge. Range testing to find what's best for your shotgun is essential.

FWIW, the two 870s produce 50 yd groups of around 2 1/2" with peep sights from the bench.Shots in the Md brush run typically under that distance.

Hope this helps...

monoboy

I use Brennekes out of my 590A1 with Ghostrings to +-100 yards.

Haven't tried other brands or sabots.

They've never been "tested" on animals, two legged or otherwise.

Shok

Commygun,

Very effective for hunting. Unless you hit the shoulder on a deer there is almost always an exit wound. For HD a 12 guage 1 oz slug will go through doors, walls, and cinder blocks so it is not the best choice for the home due to over penetration.

Accuracy is good but isn't as good as a rifle unless your shooting a Mini14. :)

Shok

Nestor Rivera

There is a nice write up in this months American Rifleman, the author seems to like the modern full sabot and "slug gun" type shotguns.

As for Home Defence BAD idea imho way to much retained energy at range.

TheOtherMikey

Hitting anything more than 50 yards with a slug gun involves a lot of luck. If you want a close-in defense weapon, there is nothing better than a shotgun....loaded with pellets or buckshot (actually smaller buckshot like #2 or BB works best). Beyond 50 yards (and usually less), you will be really hard pressed (read that justifiable homocide) to shoot anybody.

Boneyard

I love slugs for hunting....I routinely make 50 yard shots...I shot a nice 19 lb Gobbler with a 1 oz. winchester slug this year...hit him right behind the leg and exited is butt...and gutted him for me!!.. :D

------------------
A MASTER OF HIS ART REVEALS IT IN EVERYTHING HE DOES