How does steel work in Lee Load all?

Lavid2002

If anyone out there has a Lee Load All how does steel shot, size 3 and two cycle through it. Is it reliable? Thanks!
Dave

.45 COLT

I rarely say anything bad about LEE products, but I don't think you'll be happy trying to run Steel through it. I don't load Steel anymore, but I saw your question earlier and got a friend to give me a pound of Steel shot (#2) and unretired my old LOAD ALL 12 Gauge press, tried running the shot through it. It didn't go well at all. It just isn't built for that application. Even MECs (except the STEELMASTER) need an adaptor kit to run Steel (and large lead) shot properly.

As an alternative, if all you have is a LOAD ALL, make a scoop that holds your desired weight of shot and insert it manually. Might save you some frustration.

DC

snuffy

It's a PITA to try to load steel using a charge bar or with a bushing. It is normally larger shot and it doesn't want to move,(cut), like it should to measure through a bushing.

Your best bet is to weigh each load on a scale. Or find a way to quickly count the number of shot it takes to make the weight specified. An empty large or small primer tray is one way to count steel shot. Dipped into a bowl, the shot settles into the holes made for the primers. Find a chart to tell you the count for an ounce of steel the size you're loading. Then divide into eighths, quarters or whatever fraction you need.