How does Marlin 336 lock? And 308MXLR ramblings

Hafoc

The title says it all. I just bought one for the first time. Well, actually, it's the Model 308MXLR, but the action is the same.

I've fiddled with Winchester 92s and 94s before, and a Savage 99, and it's clear how those actions lock. But darned if I can see just what holds the Marlin closed when it goes bang. Can anyone direct me to a cut-away drawing or diagram that illustrates this?

As for the rifle itself-- a totally irrational purchase. I just fell in love with it. For a hundred years lever action hunting guns have been carbines, small, light, simple, honest, utilitarian. With their MX and MXLR series Marlin has reintroduced the "rifle style" to lever actions; longer barrel, half magazine, rifle-style fore-end. I always admired the style and elegance of those 19th Century lever action rifles. Now I can have one of my own, designed for my own century. Wouldn't surprise me any if these are considered classics some day.

Last night I put a Williams Foolproof Receiver Sight on it. Also a Williams sight blank, where I tapped the factory open sight out, leaving a sharp 3/8 open dovetail in the barrel-- better to fill that up, both for looks and to prevent catching and cutting things such as my hand, no? It is probably silly, especially with my eyes, to avoid putting a scope on a lever gun which exists solely for the purpose of longer range shooting. But that receiver sight impresses me. I think it should be accurate enough for me out to whatever range I'd want to try around here. And who am I kidding, I'll shoot the thing on a 100 yard range more than anything else. As I said, this was a completely irrational purchase- a long range lever gun in a place where most hunting shots are 20 yards and all (as far as I know) of the rifle ranges nearby top out at 100.

FYI I got the Williams sight and the sight blank from Natchez Shooters Supply. I have no connection with them, so it's fair for me to point out that they had the sight for about 20 bux less than most places, and they had it on my doorstep in about three business days.

The sight installs using the two rear scope mounting screw holes. For the first time in my thumbfingered gunsmithing career I managed to get everything in place perfectly on the first try. Everything fit, all the parts were there, I didn't lose anything and I didn't even manage to bleed on the project. This has me full of fear, for if I didn't bleed on it, it can't be done!

roklok

The Marlin 336-1895 action has a "locking bolt" which moves vertically into a "notch" cut into the underside of the bolt at the rear. I am not sure what Marlin calls this part, but that is the simple explanation. With the action open, it is easy to see the notch in the underside of the bolt where the locking bolt engages. It is just in front of the rear of the bolt. When the locking bolt engages the cut in the bolt, it also pushes the rear of the two piece firing pin in alignment with the front firing pin. An easy way to see how the Marlin locking system works is to remove the screw holding the lever, and remove lever, then pull bolt out of the rear of the receiver. With the lever and bolt removed, you can push the locking bolt up and down in the receiver with a finger, and see how it engages the bolt. It is a pretty strong system for a traditional lever action, which is why Marlin is able to chamber such cartridges as the .308 and .338 Marlin.