How does a S&W K Frame revolver stand up to 357 magnum?

Saab1911

I am thinking about adding a Smith & Wesson K frame revolver to my puny
collection of revolvers (I just have the one 686).

I was thinking about getting a S&W Model 620, but I heard mentioned on
this forum that K frame revolvers do not stand up to a steady diet of
357 magnum as well as say an L frame revolver, like my 686.

I want to get a K frame revolver because I heard that they are natural
pointers and have great balance. I don't have to have another 357
magnum revolver.

So If I'm interested in long term durability, am I better off with say S&W
Model 10?

Cheers,

Jae

18DAI

The 620 is actually an L-frame. I don't own one, so I won't opine further on that model.

I do own 23 K-frame revolvers. They stand up very well to 158 grain 357's. The lighter, faster, hotter 110 and 125 grain 357's are tough on the K-frame magnums. They peen the forcing cone and stretch the topstrap, when fired in abundance. how many 110, and 125 grain 357's to damage a K-frame? Your guess is as good as anyones.

My high round count K-frames are a 19-4 with just over 12,000 rounds through it, 2300 or so being 158 grain 357's, and a 66-2 with untold rounds through it. Many were hot 357 loads, based on the forcing cone erosion, and flame cutting on the topstrap. The 66-2 is just starting to develope some endshake. It still shoots like a laser, and regularly prints a 1" cloverleaf at 15 yards, using WWB 38's.

If you don't want the 357 power, a pre lock model 10 is a very fine revolver that will last you a lifetime. They are extremely accurate, and can easily handle 38+P. Hope this helps! Regards 18DAI.

scoutleader

I have two K frames both are the 65-2 prelock with a pinned barrel. They are both police trades, I know that one has had a bunch around 10 to 12 thousands round range. One was my Uncles duty weapon, he shot it often and so do I. All I have run in it are 158 grain 357, i just had it at the smith for a check up and it still shoots and points like no other handgun I own.

Saab1911

The 620 is actually an L-frame. I don't own one, so I won't opine further on that model.

Thanks for the correction.

Does Smith & Wesson make any 357 magnum revolvers on the K frame
currently?

How does one find out which S&W revolver is built on what frame? Smith
& Wesson web-site just says "Medium" for both K and L.

cheers,

Jae

18DAI

S&W did away with the K-frame magnums a few years back. I have no use for any current production S&W revolvers, so I don't keep up with the current models.

The good news is that S&W made many 357 K-frames prior to discontinuing them. CDNN has some model 66's as of Monday. They are beat up, but clean up well and the 4" 66-2 I purchased is a great shooter. you might want to call them. I paid $328.

IMO the K-frames do point more naturally, and I find them easier to shoot quickly, and handle them than my L-frame revolvers. Thats why I prefer them for IDPA matches. Regards 18DAI.

45_Shooter

Does Smith & Wesson make any 357 magnum revolvers on the K frame
currently?

How does one find out which S&W revolver is built on what frame? Smith
& Wesson web-site just says "Medium" for both K and L.

No current production K-frames besides the model 10 and 64 I think. No .357's anymore:(

Basically the k-frame is more than adequate as long as you know it's limitations. It is not designed for high volumes of .357 magnums, especially of the lighter weight (125gr and lighter) bullets. The forcing cone tends to crack in a small area that was clearanced for the crane. Endshake tends to appear, and the action can work loose.

The L-frame (686,586,620,681,etc) fixed the weak spot in the forcing cone and increased the frame size. Built like a tank, it can take most anything, but you pay for it in size and weight. The cylinder is wider and the frame is taller.

So, if you wanna carry it a lot and shoot mainly .38's, get the K. If you plan on shooting a lot of boomers, and are open carrying it or hunting, get the L.

Keltyke

K frame revolvers do not stand up to a steady diet of
357 magnum as well as say an L frame revolver, like my 686.

Crap! I have a Model 19 that's designated ".357 Magnum". "K" is simply the frame size - K meaning a mid-size.

I heard that they are natural pointers and have great balance. I don't have to have another 357 magnum revolver.

You'll love it. I wouldn't take $1000 for my model 19. A natural pointer, easy to control, accurate.

Majic

Crap! I have a Model 19 that's designated ".357 Magnum". "K" is simply the frame size - K meaning a mid-size.
The K frame was designed for the .38 spl. It was beefed up slightly for the magnum round. Unfortunately the forcing cone had to be notched on the bottom to allow room for the yoke to close. There lies it's weak point. Some have been known to crack there if fed a large supply of lightweight, high performance loads. So although it does say magnum it was made before those loads were developed. Feed it the heaver 158 grain loads (which it was designed for) and it will last forever.

carguychris

No current production K-frames besides the model 10 and 64 I think. No .357's anymore...
The M67 and M617 are still in production, and S&W just introduced their very first scandium K-frame ever, the M315NG... but that's a little off topic. :)

The last of the K frame .357s, the M65 and M66, were discontinued in 2004.
Basically the k-frame is more than adequate as long as you know it's limitations. It is not designed for high volumes of .357 magnums, especially of the lighter weight (125gr and lighter) bullets. The forcing cone tends to crack in a small area that was clearanced for the crane.
FWIW if you handload, I've also heard S&W experts warn against using slow, hot-burning powders such as H110, H4227, and Accurate #9 in a K frame. They will reportedly accelerate erosion of the weak forcing cone and cause flame cutting of the topstrap.

Basically, the point is to avoid trying to hot-rod the round. Stick with heavy bullets and fast powders and you should be good. If you want to hot-rod, get an L frame or an N frame. You'll probably want to do that anyway to absorb the extra recoil. ;)

tenusdad

K Frame

I have a S&W Model 66 with 6" barrel, bought new in the early 80's I think. I carried, shot and abused it. Heavy hunting reloads, etc. At the time it was the only centerfire handgun I had so I tried to wear it out. I've heard all the stories, but mine is still tight, accurate, has never failed and looks good. Viva S&W - I have bought more over the years and still have this one.

kamerer

Shopping list, price vs. caliber

If you ever want to use it as a woods gun, or cc gun, some find the .357 K frames very versatile. You will pay more for this versatility in the used market; I find a K .357 will run $100 or more over a .38 K of the same quality.

Shopping list:

Adjustable sight .357 models: 19 and 66
Fixed sight .357 models: 13 and 65

Adjustable .38s : 14 (6" only), 15, 67
Fixed .38s: 10, 64

If "pointing" is your main criteria - e.g., really light and sooth handling, should you go the 10 route I recommend the standard barrel vs. the heavy barrel. Others like the heavy, but it is a tad slower. I have two 686s, and quite a few Ks, but I think my very favorite is the 2.5" Model 19 .357. Does just a HUGE range of what a handgun can be asked to do.

Elvishead

You'd have to shoot enough ammo threw it to ware it out, to buy the gun many times over.

I see no issue.

Doesn't mean I own one, I got me'z an N-Frame .357.:D

Stainz

The 620 is the replacement for the 4" 66 - and weighs a massive 36.9 oz. Compare that with the 4" 66 at 37.0 oz. The 620 is just an L frame 4" 686+ with a half lug. Like the last run of 4" 66s, it has the two piece barrel liner/frame construction. The 66s came with Uncle Mike's Squared Combats, the 620 come with Hogues - K & L frame grips are the same size, of course, so they are interchangeable. The 620 is a great value today, as it is a 7-shooter without that full lug - and a few bucks cheaper than the 4" 686+. I love my 686+, but it is a 5" half lugger - I am not as fond of full lugs.

Now, for $150 more in MSRP than the 620, you can have the new this year 627 Pro - an N frame 8-shot with lots of extras (moonclip ready, chamfered charge holes, tuned action, spring-loaded front sight, custom barrel). It has to be this year's 'deal'. Mine jumped ahead of the 620 on my 'short' list, causing me to hurry and divest myself of some Rugers to pay the CC bill when it arrived. It was $719 + s/t locally. I am not fond of the IL, but I won't permit it's inclusion to prevent my owning a new S&W model.

Stainz

PS BTW, that 627 Pro is a keeper! Here it is, along with my 625JM, with a HiViz front sight and rounded cocobolo Ahrends stocks:
IMG_0582.jpg

Stainz

salvadore

A design flaw was the reason for the 66's bad press about using lotsa .357 rounds? I have an older mod. 60 .357 3" that I use to fire high pressure .358429 blue dot loads, and am currently using 358156/2400 +P+ .38 loads and always wondered why the 66 was suspect and the 60 isn't. Ya learn something new everyday.

Majic

The Model 60 (a J frame for those that don't know) doesn't have the notched forcing cone creating a weak point. It's that area where there is less metal that can crack. It didn't used to be a big problem but today there are no more factory replacement barrels.

Evyl Robot

With the 2008 lineup of K's, I have to wonder if they are slowly phasing out the frame. I think there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth over that beloved frame. Then again, my K is somewhere around 85 years old... Discontinuation does not mean extinction afterall does it?

--Michael

Majic

Yes Salvadore, you can shoot your M60 all you want.

No Evyl Robot, the K magnums were dropped because that problem did exist and they had a stronger frame. I could see someone filing a lawsuit if their K magnum broke and Smith knew about the situation. The .38s, .32s, and .22s have never been a problem in a K frame and are still good sellers so they will remain with us for a very long time.