How do you use double triggers?

OkieCruffler

I only ask because I got into a conversation with a couple of fellows at a gunshop about it. We were looking at a sexy little Spanish .410 SXS and one of them said he would buy it but his fingers were too big to get two fingers into the trigger guard to use both triggers. The shop owner agreed. I tried to explain to them how you only used one finger to pull the triggers and was berated as a fool for not knowing what I was doing. Have I been doing it wrong for 30 years? Has my grandfather who taught me been doing it wrong for the past 70?

jmr40

I have always used 1 finger. Seems like too great of a chance for it to unintentionally double with 2 fingers in there. But I don't consider myself an expert by any means on this topic. Just the way I've always done it.

The only evidence I can provide to support my claim that 1 finger should be used is based on the fact that the English style straight stock is designed to make it easier to reposition that finger from one trigger to the other. Pistol gripped shotguns became more common after the development of the single trigger doubles.

Doc Intrepid

I don't know how young (or old) your gunshop gurus were, but it takes me some fraction of a second or two to regain a bead for that second shell. Plenty of time to move your index finger from the first trigger to the second.

Unless you use your SxS to clear phone booths at 3 feet, or you like to fire both barrels simultaneously, I can't imagine that you'd gain much in efficiency or performance by using two fingers - one on each trigger. Can you pick up another sight picture that rapidly? Sure it can be done...but what does it really buy you?

OkieCruffler

They were both from a generation older than mine which is why it confused me abit. A 20 year old sees double triggers, heck it would probably be for the first time, I can understand the confusion. Now I'll admit to hooking 2 booger pickers in there to fire both barrels at once a few times for kicks, but its a very unnatural feeling. I wonder if that's why so many people hate double triggers?
After 3 decades of shooting double triggers I honestly don't notice any delay in bringing the finger back to the rear trigger. Even shooting rear trigger first isn't that noticeable.

Willie Lowman

Run of the mill idiots is right.

...But how can you pull both triggers at the same time if you don't have both fingers in the trigger guard?

OkieCruffler

At first I thought they were a funnin' me. When I showed them how to slide your finger back the owner informed me that if that was the way they wanted it done they wouldn't have bothered putting two triggers on the gun.

Pahoo

Stick to your guns and one finger !!!

I'm of the opinion that they were setting you up. .... ;)
If that is how they want to shoot, then fine but to then berate you for your opinion, was wrong. In this situation I would have had the last word. I guess you can say that I am of that generation and learned to hunt with doubles and using one finger. There were times when I chose to use two fingers but not often .... :rolleyes:

I think the problem might have started when you challenged that old fool on the use of just one finger. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

44 AMP

Staff
I won't say they are wrong to do it that way. But they were wrong to berate you for doing it differently. (assuming, of course that they were serious, and not just old pharts giving a "kid" a bunch of BS, because they could)

I would have asked them if they use two fingers on a rifle with two triggers? (double set triggers, NOT a double barrel rifle) :D

Personally, I've never been really comfortable with a double barrel that only has ONE trigger.

Traditionally, the front trigger is for the more open choked barrel (usually the right), and the rear for the tighter choked (longer range) barrel, where you are taking a bit more time to aim, so moving your finger back to the other trigger costs nothing in terms of "efficiency".

Pahoo

What about Skeet or Clays ???

On a related issue and understand that I do not shoot skeet or clays. In fact, the only clay birds I shoot are ones I lay on the berms and shoot with my rifles. .... ;)

If one shoots skeet or clays with a double, do you still use the one finger of go with two? .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

jaguarxk120

Generally a double rifle has two triggers. That's because there are less parts to go wrong.

Two fingers on two triggers is asking for a double discharge. The guy's in the gun shop are idiot's and if you ever go shooting/hunting with them make sure they are the next county over.

BigJimP

One finger inside the trigger guard - when you're shooting clays...or in the field for live birds for that matter....is the predominant way to shoot a double trigger gun.

Putting 2 fingers inside the trigger guard - really changes your grip on the gun / and it makes no sense to me ---- to me its in the, you could do it that way, but why ?? -- and you'd run a pretty big risk of the gun doubling in my view ( which may not be a big deal with a .410 / but it'll mean a lost target or a lost bird ) firing both barrels at one target is not the way to go !

I'm no expert with double triggers...but I consulted a buddy, who is - and he agrees with my approach. One finger gives you more feel of the trigger - and more control of the gun with your other 4 fingers holding the gun. He's hunted in Scotland, and shot clays all over ...with double guns / says he's never seen someone put 2 fingers inside the trigger guard.

PetahW

Yep - the only time I shot a SxS with both fingers on the triggers was about 50 years ago when I was young & foolish.

I almost broke my collarbone, when both barrels discharged.

I only found out later, the reason why - the recoil of the 1st bbl, combined with a natural human reflex to "hang on", caused the 2nd finger to pull it's trigger almost instantaniously.

OkieCruffler

Well I grew up and was taught bird/clay shooting by my grandfather and his friends who saw anything other than a SXS to be undesirable and just a bit uncouth. I never saw any of them use two fingers. Just for kicks (turns out literally) I went out back and attempted to shoot with a finger on each trigger. First off, it's uncomfortable. I can't imagine ever getting used to it so that I could get a smooth swing. Secondly, as I suspected, the recoil from pulling the front trigger caused a second trigger pull a fraction of a second later. Even with my light loads that was eye opening.
I should add that this shop is more tactical leaning than sporting. A lot more plastic than wood and barrels over 20" are few.

Pahoo

Works for me !!!

One finger gives you more feel of the trigger - and more control of the gun with your other 4 fingers holding the gun. He's hunted in Scotland, and shot clays all over ...with double guns / says he's never seen someone put 2 fingers inside the trigger guard
Great reply and although a few may disagree, I'm buying it. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

zippy13

One finger.
Perhaps your gun shop gurus have seen too many movies with lines something like, "Give 'em both barrels."

SDC

The way I was always told is ONE finger in the trigger-guard, and you go from front to back, because that's the way hunting guns are usually choked; the front trigger fires the open/less-choked barrel, and the rear trigger fires the tighter/more-choked barrel, because a follow-up shot will usually be on a target that's already flying away from you.

Jim Watson

Are a lot of British and Continental doubles set up to fire the choke barrel first, the open barrel second on driven game?
Not everybody shoots rough on flushing game.

OkieCruffler

Most double birds in skeet I fire rear trigger first on the outgoing clay then rear on the incoming. I'm shooting a single trigger Citori now but still say the double trigger is superior.

B.L.E.

Working behind the counter of a gun shop does not necessarily mean someone is knowledgeable about guns or shooting. His gun expertise might be in something other than shotguns and he just passes on what he is told when it comes to shotguns.
Remember, the guy behind the counter is a salesman, not necessarily a shooting expert.