How Do You Store Bulk Reloaded Ammunition?

ScottRiqui

When I started reloading, I bought 25 of the Midway 50-round boxes with styrofoam inserts for each caliber I reload, but now that I've found recipes I like for range ammo and am producing larger quantities, it seems a waste to use the 50-round boxes to store large amounts.

I have some military ammo cans already (the size that the NATO 9 mm and 5.56 mm comes in), and can easily get more. Would these make more sense for bulk storage? I feel strange just throwing several hundred loose rounds in a can, but I can't think that it would hurt anything.

Last edited:

maggys drawers

I store pistol ammo in 50 round plastic boxes, and those boxes in ammo cans.

Rifle ammo gets stored in 20 round boxes in ammo cans, or loose in ammo cans with a couple desiccant packs. I live in a dry climate, and not really sure the desiccant is necessary, but no green brass after 3 years.

Bigjim3

I keep mine in sealed ammo cans in a wooden box that is about 4ft wide x 5ft tall and have a dry stick in with that. The dry sticks work well in my safe also. But im sure you will get a lot of other better ways to store it. From other members.

PCJim

Reloaded pistol ammo is stored in ziploc style sandwich bags, 100 per bag. Reloaded rifle ammo is stored 50 per bag. Bags, as well as almost all of the store bought non-.22LR, are stored in ammo cans. .22LR is stored in the open. The bags make it easy to just grab a couple hundred pistol rounds when I head to the range.

fpchief

military ammo cans. Airtight and waterproof. Some folks dont like them but they keep well, stack well, and last a long time.

Doby45

Food Saver bags. 500 rounds per bag stored in a large 2' X 3' X 4' ammo crate. I have a single ammo can for each round that I load so that I always have an ammo can of loose rounds.

Qtiphky

How many?

Is there a limit as to how many rounds you can store at your residence before you are considered an arsenal or something like that? I just heard over the weekend that the number was over 1,000 rounds and you need to obtain a license to store that much ammo. Anybody know if that is true?

Rifleman1776

Old coffee can.
Qtiphky, that is an old rumor. Michigan may have such a law, but I doubt it. If it is true, we all need to start storing up a lot more ammo.

Qtiphky

I have a hard time believing it as almost anyone on this thread probably has more than that sitting downstairs right now, I know I sure do. It just came from so far out of left field and from someone whom I trust and has been loading for much longer than I that I was just wondering the validity.

Crosshair

I use the cardboard boxes from the vandal-proof dome cameras we use at work. They are sturdy, stack nicely, and if I break one I have plenty of spares. I think I can fit around 600 rounds of 45 auto in one.

oneounceload

The smaller green army surplus ammo cans work well for bulk pistol loadings. Bought some commercially reloaded ammo at one gun show and that was how they packaged them.

griz

I use the square plastic food storage bottles for pistol rounds. The one about a half gallon will hold several hundred handgun rounds and they store neatly. Never had a problem with the rounds stored loosely. Rifle ammo usually gets stored in the Midway boxes for 50 or 100, except for sometimes 223 plinking rounds get bulk storage.

cwok

Storing Ammo

Pistol reloading --- .38/.357/.45acp/10mm

When I started -- I used the 50-round plastic ammo cases.
Later I switched to 100 round cases.

Now I use plastic coffee can for bulk storage and pull enough ammo for a days shooting and put it into 'seal-a-meal' bags when I go to the range.
The coffee cans seem adequate, to me, for storage for a year or two.

If I decide I'm going to load more than I'll shoot in a couple years, I'll look at using military type ammo cans.

TOM RENZO

I never worry about this !!!!! I shoot so much i run OUT TO FAST no storage time. Just kidding. I use the old GI ammo cans with a bag of desicant packs to be safe. It works and the cans are CHEAP enough. I do have those plastic orginizers that i use to seperate ammo i am experimenting with different loads. But either way is OK . Coffee cans ammo cans orginizers ETC. Ammo is pritty forgiving. Only thing is keep it DRY. Good POST

mothermopar

Plastic dog treat beef jerky containers... from costco... yes the dogs get the treats before I confiscate the container! LOL

VonFatman

I use mostly 100 rnd plastic cases stored in MilSurp ammo cans. I also us coffee "cans"...the new plastic coffee cans.

Bob

BigJimP

I use the 50 rd boxes / plastic or just boxes I pick up at the range.

I stack the finished ammo up on top of my safe / and I stack them about 10 boxes high -- and 3 or 4 boxes deep --- by caliber ( 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp, .38 spl, .357 mag, .44 mag ) ......when I get down to 10 boxes in one caliber / I replenish the stack ....