How do *you* pronounce "Walther?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

St_Genesius

As I've called around the past few days looking for prices on P99s, I've heard every concievable mutation of this name. As a child, I first heard the name "Walther" in whichever James Bond film it was that had the famous line about the PPK. In my memory, the villian said (phonetically) "Walter."

So, I always thought the H was silent.

After being laughed at a couple of times counter clerks, I adopted their more phonetic "Walther"...only to have the next clerk correct me with "Walter" again. Then, a couple of stores later, I came across a woman who pronounced it "Valther," which makes some sense given the Germanic rules of grammar. Then, just so I had a complete set, I had one man insist that it was "Valter."

So now I just ask for "The P99 in 9mm."

As a student of literature and linguistics, these things interest me, so could someone help me out?

longeyes

VAL-ter, if you want the German way. That's my understanding.

But Americans will Americanize. Fiocchi is rightly pronounced FYO-key in Italian but you'll a variety of pronunciations in gunshops.

BigG

According to the German pronunciation, it would be Valta (er), or as we say Walter. Walther is the way Americans say it. Think of Thomas. Do you say THomas?

VVG

Don't worry about it! Some of the people who say "Porsha" for Porsche say "Volkswagon" instead of "folksvagen". So if a "Fau Vay" doesn't cost enough to earn native pronounciation, neither does a Walther - especially one marked "Springfield, MA USA".

Northern Germans, Southern Germans, Swiss, and Austrians each have slightly different pronounciation (ignoring regional dialects, which are not understandable to "Amis"). I don't hear any Gun Shop Commandos talking about "ZIG ZAURS" or "TSIG TSAUERS", two possible, approximate regional pronounciations.

German has compound words, which are great fun. I had to occasional briefings to Bundeswehr (army), Zoll (customs), and Bundesgrenzshutz (Federal Border Police) units. My favorite was "Rettungshubschrauberfleigerin" - female medevac helicopter pilot....

Loading an M1 Garand, auf Deutsch:

Patrone ins Lager schieben, Handkante gegen den Spanngriff und mit dem Daumen den Zubringer nach unten drücken, Spanngriff mit der Handkante leicht zurückziehen bis das Gasgestänge ausrastet....

THAT's why we won the war!

St_Genesius

So, there's no real consensus, eh?

Ok.

I like Valter the best, I think. It's the cleanest sounding, without the clumsy W or TH sounds.

What was especially amusing about my calls/visits to various shops is that whichever option I chose for that shop was invariably the wrong one for that clerk.

aquapong

I don't think the Germans care how we pronounce the name as long as we keep buying their P99's. I say "wall-ther" the second syllable pronounced as in "thermos."

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
You could always ask mussi, T. Stahl, lendringser or Krautgunner. :)

Myself, "Walther" is one of those German words I pronounce in "when in Rome" fashion: If I ask about a VAHL-ter at the local shop, I'll get a blank stare, but if I inquire about a WAUL-ther, they'll know what I'm talking about. I avoid the pronunciation of the other most mispronounced German semiautos by referring to my P7 as an "aitch-kay";)

St_Genesius

--Myself, "Walther" is one of those German words I pronounce in "when in Rome" fashion: If I ask about a VAHL-ter at the local shop, I'll get a blank stare, but if I inquire about a WAUL-ther, they'll know what I'm talking about. I avoid the pronunciation of the other most mispronounced German semiautos by referring to my P7 as an "aitch-kay"--

LOL!

If only I could afford an Aitch-Kay...

I got more than a few blank stares during my inquiries and had one guy ask "WALL-tur? Whut's tha-eet?"

LiveWire

Vahl-tuh, if you want to be true to German phonetics.

I say Walter, as in Cronkite.

The way I pronounce Neanderthal, however, is accurately German. Nay-AHN-duh-tall, not Nee-AN-der-thall.

BigG

Livewire: Scheiss by any other name is still Scheiss. :p

Actually, your second way is pretty good, imho. Fohlksvagun

Edward429451

Walter, huh? Cool. I never corrected my polish MIL when she pronounced it like that. I'd just smile to my all knowing self cause I knew it was pronounced Wal-ther...!:eek:

T.Stahl

(Mocking Seaman Quist in "Captain Horatio Hornblower")

She knows my name! :D She knows my name! :D

(Cooling down)

Well, I think "Valter" is close enough. Definitely without a "tee-aitsch."

Oh, and as for the other manufacturer, Heckler & Koch, well, just think about the Spanish word for . . . balls. ;)
Or call them something like Haw-Kaw.

I think you'd be surprised to hear how Germans pronounce some brand names, like Para Ordonnanz, Magg-Tesch, Magg-Tekk or Fi-jodd-shee. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.