How do you practice loading magazines?

1inthechamber

So how do most of you practice loading your magazines to reduce loading time? I usually load empty casings (at home) in a magazine. I don't put it back in the gun cause well, that's just dumb lol. But I've found that it simulates the same loading process. I'm not sure if I'm the only one that does it. It has helped with loading a magazine faster. Any other tips on getting rounds in faster?

Netzapper

I'm not sure why this is something to practice. It's not as if you're going to be refilling magazines in the middle of a gunfight.

But, I find that going shooting teaches me plenty-well how to fill magazines.

1inthechamber

Well, I sometimes see some people at the range struggling with their magzines trying to get the rounds in. I had sort of the same problem at first, but then started practicing and it seems like it takes me a good 5-10 seconds rather than 30-60 seconds.

I'm not talking about being in a gun fight. ;)

Gazpacho

After I saw Last Man Standing (Bruce Willis remake of Yojimbo) I started amassing 1911 magazines. I still don't have enough, but now I can go the the range with my two 1911s and not have to reload a magazine.

mta90412

want a hard mag to load try a desert eagle .50 Practice helped me but after 100 rounds you kinda don't want to shoot it any more lol (ouchy wrist) Just a crazy statement me and my friends practice loading mags while we watch movies just for fun and i'm the champ. I can load an ak mag in under 17 seconds and an ar mag in under 13. lol

281 Quad Cam

Don't go feeling like an idiot or anything....

It's just I, and I suspect many others have loaded quite a few rounds and dont have a problem getting them into the magazines. Than again I'm a landscaper most of the time, so my fingers love a light weight excersise like loading 9mm.

The way I fill pistol mags is to hold the mag in your left hand and use your thumb to press down the top round, which eases the effort; have a handful of rounds in the right and present the cartridge into the next space. You then push it down with your index finger, press back with the thumb and release with your left thumb all in one movement.

I tend to pick up ten rounds at a time and slot them in; don't be too artistic about how they seat as long as they go down, because once they are all in give the magazine a slap into your hand and it seats all the rounds to the rear.

Dummy rounds are best for practising loading magazines; naturally you want them to look like what they are so there is no confusion and a live round can easily be spotted.

1inthechamber

British Soldier, I do sort of the same thing you mentioned but a little differently.

I hold the magazine in my left hand, push down the top round with my left thumb while sliding in another round and continue until it hits max capacity.
I found that easier for me personally. Struggling with the magazine was sort of a pet peeve the first time I started shooting, but it gradually went away after the process of loading went smoothly.