How do you like your S&W M696?

Murdock

Back when I still had the ability to run around the block without having my heart explode, Jeff Cooper posited that a 5-shot .44 Special on a K-frame with a round butt would be a very desirable piece.

In the late 70's or 80's a custom gunsmith marketed just such a conversion, but the cylinder was not fluted, and he would only guarantee the gun for factory loads. :barf: It was very pricey and didn't last. (Did any of you buy one)?

When the M696 came along, the photos looked great (its proportions looked just like a M19, which as everybody knows is the best looking revolver in this solar system ;)), but when I finally handled a M696, I questioned if it was really any more handy than the 6-shot M24/624, and it was larger than a M19. My ardor cooled.

I've got the .44 Special bug again, and wonder what you M696 owners who have been using these for a while think? (Especially those of you who have used the M24/624 to any extent).

As always, expert opinions and irrational ravings are all welcome. :D Thanks in advance.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I like mine, and a lot more than a 2.5" 686, too. The extra 1/2" of barrel on the 696 versus the 19/66/686 snubbies gives a full-length ejector rod stroke, which is a Good Thing

dalecooper51

I've owned a few Smith .44 specials, a 696, a 624, and a 24-3. The 696 was definitely more handy than my 6.5" 24-3. The 24 was a great range gun, but was considerably larger than the 696. Between the 4" 624 and the 696, I would choose the 624. I was always afraid to push my handloads in the 696 and normally limited them to no more than 6.5 gr of Unique under a 240 gr LWSC. Normally I shot 6 gr of Unique. It was fun, but I like the 624 more. The 624 isn't all that much bigger and can handle heavier loads easily. The 696 was bigger than I liked to carry and the prices were going through the roof so I sold it and more than doubled my money in a year.

Here's a pic of them at the range.
44s.jpg

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Between my 3" 696 and my 3" 624, I find the 696 to be much easier to carry (IWB in a Bianchi #3S "Pistol Pocket" holster.)

Plus, it is very much easier to find leather for.

drail

Possibly the best idea S&W ever came up with. If you like big bore revolvers it doesn't get any better. I have lots of other pistols. I carry this one every day.

Smith696

696 & 624

I have wanted a model 24 with a 3 inch barrel for a LONG time. Wasnt it that the 24-3 was the first 3 inch 44 special S&W??
Anyhow, from the prices I have seen, the 24-3 and 624's in the 3 inch barrel are very expensive. At least, the cheapest Ive seen are $650ish, for one in good condition. MOre than not, they are $700plus.
Maybe I havent looked hard enough.

Anyhow, I recently found a 696-1 for $650, and I have decided to get it. Id love to get a 696 NO DASH, but what can I do? They are priced at $800 on gb.com, which is insane, so for now I will get the -1. Plus, I figure the -1 isnt WORSE than the no dash, its just not as collectable, isnt that so???
Im also interested in reviews of the 696.......

GUNKWAZY

Anyhow, I recently found a 696-1 for $650, and I have decided to get it. Id love to get a 696 NO DASH, but what can I do? They are priced at $800 on gb.com

I got well over a "G" for one NIB with all paperwork.

I've never heard anyone complain about them.:D

696.jpg

short696.jpg

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
GUNKWAZY said:
I got well over a "G" for one NIB with all paperwork. :D

Out of curiosity, how long ago?

Prices went absolutely ballistic on them back in '05-early '06, but seem to have dropped a bit since then, although they're still much higher than actual scarcity would indicate.

Pappy John

I picked up a no dash, sans box, in the summer of '01. I put lots of rounds through it the first few years, but then fell in with the N-frames, then 9mms, and now 10mms. Since then it's been pretty much a safe queen except for being carried on a few fishing trips. I never pushed it very hard. The thin forcing cone didn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in handling anything like a Keith load, so I kept my handloads pretty tame, and stuck to CCI Blasers Gold Dot load for carry. Found a good Desantis Speed Scabard for the belt. Very accurate for a 3" gun. Todays prices have me thinking about what else I could buy for the money these things are fetching now, but I know I'd miss the thing as soon as I sold it.:eek: I keep seeing them go in the $800+ range on Gunbroker. Whew! I guess mine wouldn't do quite as well without a box though.

dgludwig

I had one for a time but eventually traded it because I decided it was way too heavy and bulky for a five-shot revolver. I agree that a .44 chambered in a K-frame chassis makes for an interesting concept indeed. Until then, if I want a reasonably- sized, five-shot, .44 Special, I'll have to settle for models made by Taurus or Charter Arms.