How do you like the Armscor 1911 Medallion?

New_comer

Hello all! :)

Seems like Armscor Philippines has a new website, which showcases the Medallion 1911. Check this out:

M1911-A1Medchrome45ACP.jpg

At around $730, this is the top of the line. There's also a camouflaged version:

M1911-A1camo45ACP.jpg

This one's milspec & pegged at $500. I guess they'll be competing against CD :eek:, since these models will be carrying the Armscor name.

What say you? ;)

New Armscor Website

New_comer

There's also a high-cap version (where legal):

M1911-A1Med45ACPwide.jpg

As you can see, Armscor wasn't pulling any punches when they came out with these beauts...

Grip checkering, ambi safety, bomar, fiber optics sights, the sexiest beaver tail, hand-fitted to perfection...

As I mentioned a year ago, and am saying it again: A Medallion would be my first 1911.

The good news is, I may be able to squeeze enough funds to take this baby home in December!:D

CastleBravo

:rolleyes:

Hint: adding an off-brand ambi safety to a junky third world 1911 doesn't make it any less of a junky third-world 1911.

Kermit

I've seen a couple imported from Armscor...I think they were Rock Island. No big deal. Plus, the ones I've seen weren't $500-$700, more like $300- $500. The Mil Spec might be okay for a base gun since you'd prolly replace all the small parts anyway & just keep the frame & slide. My biggest concern would be the quality of the metal used on the frame & slide.

zxc

my first was a "Danao" version of the 380 Colt hammerless. Id carry a paltik again if necessary. Long time ago. Good luck pare.

stmcelroy

According to a thread on 1911forum.com Armscor was assembling these guns for Charles Daly. Now they will be selling them direct themselves and CD will be assembling their own guns.

Pretty sure this is true:

My CD EMS SS .45ACP:

20021046673979365259980.jpg

And an Armscor Compact .45:

M1911-A1cs45ACP.jpg

New_comer

Hint: adding an off-brand ambi safety to a junky third world 1911 doesn't make it any less of a junky third-world 1911.
But Armscor fabricates the safety themselves:
4541L Ambidextrous Safety Left $9.95
4541R Ambidextrous Safety Right $9.95

Hmmm, I guess you may have more info as to the quality of metallurgy of Armscor pistols. The point is, they're already ISO 9001 certified, meaning processes and quality are at least equal to world standards. Otherwise, they couldn't have gotten this international stamp of quality... :rolleyes:

I'd like to hear more...

SteveC

Armscor claims CNC machined 4140

The Armscor specs say that their frames and slides are CNC machined 4140 steel, and I've seen several messages from people who have smithed the CD and Armscor guns claim that the steel is pretty much like Springfield Armory steel (one of the messages came from a famous 1911 Bullseye pistolsmith).

Springfield Armory's stuff is Brazilian isn't it? Have they been promoted from Third World status? From what I've heard, the Filipinos love 1911's almost as much as Americans do.

Anyway, once my gun fund reaches the point where a new Armscor/CD, used 1911 or 625 is possible, I'm going to have to make a tough choice...

Steve

CastleBravo

AMSCOR brand IS off brand. Duh. :p

You obviously don't know anything about ISO 9001. I'm a certified internal auditor for ISO 9001. Being ISO 9001 certified doesn't say anything about how good your finished product is, just that you follow a documented process on how you make it. ISO imposes NO objective quality requirements on a company to get ISO certified. I've literally seen where an ISO 9001 certified company had the MAJORITY of a particular product line be defective for a long period of time, and it has absolutely NO bearing on their certification.

You aren't on the Amscor payroll by any chance, are you? :rolleyes:

New_comer

Armscor payroll??? Heck, no!! :rolleyes:

What made you conclude that? I've been posting HK USP pictures left and right, but no one even suggested that I'm from HK (but I hope i am ;))

Let's be objective here, Mr. CastleBravo. Tell me, have you had experience with any of their products that would cause you to :barf:, and incite you to hellish :mad: that might explain your obvious disdain for an Armscor.

Your experience in process certification is truly invaluable as you established your credibility in clarifying what those internationally accepted symbols really stand for.

But isn't it a fact, sir, that in any quality endeavor, the documentation of how things are to be done - from raw material selection to the step-by-step manufacturing processes - is the first decisive step towards consistency of operation, repeatability of steps, scrutiny from third parties, and compliance to tolerances, that lead eventually to a quality product.

"ISO imposes NO objective quality requirements on a company to get ISO certified"

True. Which means to say that there should be some other quality stamp we must look out for to ensure that the minimum level of quality is expected. But what??? Is there any???

I've worked in a steel pressure vessel fabrication company for four years. I supervised the building and installation of industrial LPG tanks that comply to ASME standards. Guns, being pressure-activated devices, are no different, even simpler.

Do Colt, Kimber, SA display an ANSI, ASME, JICA or equivalent quality stamp to prove they really are up to par??? None??? Don't tell me a "third world" foundry beat them to it? :rolleyes: And while I'm at this, I'll return the favor: are you in the employ of any of these shops? ;)

People don't walk inside a gunstore and look for the spectro-ultrasonic-radiographic certificate of the vital materials in a gun. I am quite sure that more than 90% of all gunowners simply walk inside their favorite gunstore, ogle at the piece that catches their eye, buy it, take it home and never even fire them. To those people, even pot metal guns would do. But to us active shooters, especially the technically-inclined, 'hearsay" advise that you've just forwarded simply won't do. :rolleyes:

If it isn't much of a bother, please educate me. I feel you have more convincing evidence to divulge...

I'm more than willing to listen. ;)

New_comer

I doubt if they come with ivory grips. :cool:

But any gun that has ivory exudes that "pimp" aura... :D:D:D

I'm more inclined to take the blued. But if ever they come out with a much tougher finish, like parkerized, that's the one I'd get. ;)

indy7

yes mr. castlebravo. why dont u stand in front of me so that i could test the quality of my third world junky on you.:D he he. . . kidding!!!!!

Eric Larsen

Just a note on a couple of points...

ISO doesnt guarantee good quality...just that it can be tracked accurately when they find the bad product....thats all.
Im not an ISO guy...just helped put the manual togethor with a couple of companies I used to work for.....trust me its a big PITA!
Typically if a company is ISO certified..it does lean towards a good product but there are no rules......

Armscor guns are not bad but not the best either....RIA, CD and others use the parts..frames, slides, internals etc.....lately these have proven to be worth consideration if looking for a med priced 1911......IMO.

shoot well

schild

If the metal (and guns) are quality how come all the grip screws visible in the photo's look buggered-up?

schild

I see crappy buggered-up screw heads in the photo from new_comer, the high-cap version and the photo from stmcelroy.

Wildalaska

"Tell me, have you had experience with any of their products that would cause you to , and incite you to hellish that might explain your obvious disdain for an Armscor."

I personally have seen numerous failures and problems on Charles Daly (Armscorp) pistols, such as broken slide stops, broken barrel bushings, broken extractors, poor slide to frame fit, poor barrel fit, mis machined rails, mis machined dovetails and so on.

Our shop will not work on those guns, nor repair them.

A gun shop has an obligation, IMHO, to offer the customer a choice. One can argue all day about the merits of Colt, Kimber, Les Baer, Wilson etc. However, each of those brands, while perhaps having certain problems inherent to each one, is far superior IMHO to Armscorp, Rock River, Charles Daley and other "knock off" brands. The top of the line Armscorp"Medallion" at $730 is not much less than a Colt Gold Cup, a pistol which is made in the US and far superior.

New Comer by the way you would get more credibility if you would just be honest about your connection with Armscorp.

New_comer

New Comer by the way you would get more credibility if you would just be honest about your connection with Armscorp.
Yeah, you're right.

I have to admit I'm the CEO and concurrent COO/production manager/chief mettalurgist of Arms Corp. of the Phils. I own all seats of the Board and believe in the concept that all guns suck except my USP9.

Oh, and may I add that I'm also the president of the HK USP Forever Fan Club in my district in Southern Manila.

All this while I hold a full time supervisory job in one of the public utilities serving the National Capital Region. Concurrent to my fatherhood duties to two very beautiful children and "house-bund" to a very loving wife. :D:D:D

Quoting myself:
Armscor payroll??? Heck, no!!

What made you conclude that? I've been posting HK USP pictures left and right, but no one even suggested that I'm from HK (but I hope i am )

Credible enough? ;)

LOL!!!

Sorry, I haven't had my mandatory cup of coffee just yet :D:D:D