How do you know you are getting old?

DrLaw

Your son beats you in shooting, that's how. :mad:

Took my 14-year old son who does not shoot much (it's hot or cold with him - after all, he's a teen) to the range yesterday after his school day was over.

Also took my piece-made AR-15 to shoot for the first time. He had not shot an AR-15 before and the largest rifle he had tried before that was an M1 Garand. He has shot a Ruger 10-22 on occasion, but not the AR.

So imagine my surprise when looking through the spotting scope to see him nail the X-ring to the 9:00 of the X! At the time, we were trading off shots while following the clean after each first 20 shots instruction that came with the DPMS barrel. That was his third shot. I was still trying to find the black and adjusting the sight, slowly walking my bullets up the target.

He went on to do that 3 more times! :eek:

Closest I got, the 10-ring, once! :eek:

Yep, that's when you know you are getting old! :( Pray for me, guys!

The Doc is out now. :cool:

bigbird34

AR-15

It's the Ar ,not you ! It probably fits him a tad better ......better sell it and get him some old C&R weapon with ammo that is difficult to find!

Like a blunder bust !:eek::):eek::)

BB34

badlander

My son is 24. and goes to work with An M60. He still can't out shoot me. I do hope he is getting better. Im still old ! :D

DrLaw

Like a Steyr?

Already have one of those.

Just in case somebody was wondering. I was having fun, I am pleased as can be that my son was shooting so good, and I was very pleased that I put together an AR-15 and had no problems shooting it, other than finding the black! :D

I think the real problem is that I have started to flinch when shooting. I'll just have to work on that and trigger control.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

wmeSha

One of my colleagues says you can tell you are getting old by the way you feel at bedtime. The young don't want to go to bed, because they might miss out on some life while they are sleeping. But if you look forward to going to bed, and when you lay down it just feels soooo good... you aren't young any more. I think I've been old a long time.

ndking1126

But if you look forward to going to bed, and when you lay down it just feels soooo good... you aren't young any more. I think I've been old a long time.

I'm 25 and been old for a couple of years apparently.. :( I've yet to outshoot my dad, but I haven't tried in a year. I think I might be able to now. So this means I'm old, but my dad isn't?! What, is that possible? :D

I had a friend my senior year in high school that came home and slept after school. Then got up to eat and hopefully find a soccer game with me and other friends to play in. Other than my 88 yr old grandmother that sleeps just about all day and night, I've never met someone as tired as he was.. and yet he was so fast and alert on the field.

308nato

At 69 I feel that going to bed and sleeping is a waste of what time I
have left and dont want to missout on anything.:D

One of my colleagues says you can tell you are getting old by the way you feel at bedtime. The young don't want to go to bed, because they might miss out on some life while they are sleeping. But if you look forward to going to bed, and when you lay down it just feels soooo good... you aren't young any more. I think I've been old a long time.

That's a great indicator. But, when you have a hard time getting OUT of bed the next morning is when I found out I was getting older.:eek::(

I think the real problem is that I have started to flinch when shooting. I'll just have to work on that and trigger control.

Minute discrepancies in trigger control multiplies greatly out at the target. Look at it this way. At least you can blame it on lack of practice rather than your "old eyes".:D

skidooman603

My "almost 17" year old out shoots me with "everything" It is mostly a young eye and lack of caffine thing. Does kinda stink when you are "teaching" OK son like this. He picks up the gun, shoots the hell outta the X and says " you mean like that Dad"? Smart a$$. Always good to outproduce yourself:D

DiscoRacing

Took my 14-year old son
be glad that you only have one Dr... not two like I have....ones 15..and..ones 17..they Both are outshooting me.... Now I like shooting on days when they are both in school:cool:

JWT

Unfortunately the 'kids' have better eyesight, hand eye coordination, and are not as shakey as some of us old farts. Age does take it's toll. The Flomax helps some aging problems but saddly not the shooting ability. Still getting 'old' is lots better than the only alternative.

levrluvr

Still getting 'old' is lots better than the only alternative.

I agree. Dirt tastes bad.

When he was still alive, I asked my father-in-law why he made a mark on the calendar by his chair for each day. I was thinking that it was maybe so he could just remember what day of the week it was.
His answer? "The mark is proof I woke up"

crowbeaner

I know I'm getting old because it takes me all night to do something I used to do all night. I can still outshoot my kid, but he's getting better every day and it might not be all that long before his groups are better than mine. Just remember that old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. CB.