How Do you Know It's a Lew Horton

JBP

I have a line on what the seller says is a S&W 610-3 with a three inch barrel that was made for Lew Horton Distributors but w/o any box or paperwork. Since I'll be paying somewhat of a higher price for it how can I tell it is what the seller says it is..

coonan357

as a horton owner some of the distingusing marks are LHN as the begining of the serial but not always , get the serial number and call lew horton and verify , they will ussually be glad to do this , you can also call smith and wesson too .

ViLLain

Lew Horton three inch model 610 has a product code 148120 and say "Lew Horton Special" and both are on the box. No box, no point in paying a premium price and it is strictly a shooter.

lonegunman

A Lew Horton gun doesnt command any premium just because its a Lew Horton, does it?

I thought he was just a distributor who bought in fairly substantial quantities from S&W and therefore could specify how he wanted the guns set up.

dinosaur

According to the Blue Book any 629 is worth more than a Lew Horton. 100%-$400. 98%-$350, 95%-$275. Hey, I didn`t write the book!

ViLLain

Many of the Lew Horton specials command a premium due to their low numbers. In the case of the gun being mentioned, only 300 were made and there is a large and rather devoted following of 10 mm enthusiast. $500 to $600 is not uncommon for this model.

coonan357

my horton mentioned earlier is a 66-4 with a 3" heavy lug barrel and is a performance center piece with magna porting ,one of 500 made. it came with funky grips . some people say i paid too much , but like they say beauty is in they eyes of the beholder in my eyes nice firearm .

dinosaur

Now I agree with that. How many can say they never overpaid for a gun that they really, really, really had to have?:D

Ledbetter

My Lew Horton experience

Nicest .45 I have. It's a Colt Commander with a 1" carry comp on the threaded barrel. Same OAL as a Gov. Model. "Royal" blue slide and stainless frame. Chip McCormick parts, full length guide rod, Novack sights, etc. Manufactured in 1998, bought in 1999. Serial number CMPCOxxx.

Came in regular Colt Custom shop box with no papers besides Colt series 80 manual. Extra Colt/McCormick magazine.

Called Lew Horton to see if they could tell me more/send me info. Got told it wasn't a current model, they didn't know about it and couldn't be bothered to help me.
Nice guns, but not because of anything Lew Horton does. Mine is one of 500 like it and came right from the Colt Custom Shop. That's good enough.

Regards.