How do you get an anti to go shooting?

stubell

Okay insert punchline here.

Seriously though, I have a friend that I would consider an anti. She and I have had some long term arguments about firearms, but I need some info to share with her because she needs to learn how to defend herself.

She and her seven year old son are moving into her first place and it is in a not so nice area. (It was what she could afford)

I told her I thought she should learn how to shoot and purchase a firearm for her protection. She kinda sighed and I think she might be listening.

I just need to present the information to her in a non confrontational matter and she will listen.

I'm looking for books or videos she should watch. Books are especially good because she loves to read. Not anything like More Guns Less Crime. (too dry for her tastes)

I was thinking something along the lines of Best Defense or something like that. Any suggestions?

larry_minn

Not really on your question. But when you get to the range start her out on a 22 if at all possible. Or maybe a 38 but for heavens sake don't let her touch off a full house 44mag. A pellet gun would be good also. Then you can work up to serious rounds. I shudder everytime I see someone teaching a newbe with a thunderblaster.

Cliff

stubell - For a book, I recommend "Armed and Female" written by Paxton Quigley. Ms. Quigley used to be fairly anti, but re-evaluated. The book can be found at amazon.com

If you have the means and can exercise it without appearing like you're brow beating, schedule a range trip and let her fire a few rounds under proper supervision.

This is the best approach I know. What often gets lost amongst the fear and ignorance is that shooting is fun!

When the enjoyment is had, the fear fades.

Hope this helps...

Cliff

Zak Smith

The NRA has a really good "introduction to firearms" video, in which the primary "student" is a woman in a similar situation.

You should be able to get a copy from a local NRA affiliate, or nra.org

-z

stubell

I am going to try to start her out with a 22. I may be purchasing a 22 auto soon so thanks for the advice. After I get it I will try to schedule her for a range session. First I need to teach her some safety lessons though.

I'll try the book (ordering now)and video (right behind the book). Hopefully they will help her open her eyes and help her come around.

jcoyoung

If you don't have a 22 yet, try borrowing one from a friend. I'm sure he will have no problem removing that reddot sight so you can teach the fundamentals. ;)

alan

I believe that aside from a book or two, Paxton Quigley has written some magazine pieces also.

fubsy

Well theres ssomething we try around here but there smarter than they look and act....if we can convince em to go to the range we let them carry these neat signs that have black circles on them (and occasionally neon orange) and have run in a limited area...does wonders for their constitution.....and then when deer season comes along we have the hair coat and deer hat for them---its getting harder harder to find people who want to protest this way......ONLY wish it was true...fubsy.

Herodotus

True anti's have deep psychological fears about weapons that are difficult or impossible to overcome. I am not sure you should try to force it upon them.
Most people who are just not experienced with firearms and therefore open to misconcieved political arguments will some how make an indication that they would like to try out shooting if you have opened the possibility in some way. Just note that you would like to take them out to your range and pick up on it when they indicate a desire to do so.

Mike in VA

There's an interactive CD called "Safety On" (www.safetyon.com) that provides a very nice tutorial on almost all aspects of firearms ownership, care and of course, SAFETY. It's well done, segmented in a series of lessons, it's easy to navigate to the section you're interested in. It does a good job of de-mystifying how guns and ammo work, provides a lexicon, lots of annotated diagrams, etc. It removes the 'fear of the unknown' and familiarizes the newbie in a non-threatening environment where they can proceed at their own pace and move to the stuff that interestes them at the moment. I have used a successfully a couple of times, I sit with the interested party and we have an unloaded Beretta 85 and a S&W 60 for example/demonstration as we go thru the courseware.

I have 'seduced' some anti friends with the opening proposition that, given the proliferation of guns in America, at minimum, they should know how to make a gun safe (i.e. unload and clear) if they ever encounter one. I promise not to preach or pressure them go shooting, just a safety lesson. Once they handle the gun, realize it's has no will of its own, their confidence grows along with their interest. Once they get past their 'fear' and ignorance (no one wants to look stupid in public), they're at least willing to listen. Win some, loose some, it takes time.
M2

Ooops. Fergot about the snapcaps. I use snapcaps for the clearing exercises. No live ammo anywhere in sight.

[This message has been edited by Mike in VA (edited March 20, 2000).]

MrKandiyohi

You want to make sure that she doesn't see you trying to change her mind, just exposing her to your viewpoint. Offer to do something of her choosing in payment for her going to the range. It might involve going to a political rally for someone she supports (just grin and bear it) or something like mowing the lawn.

Offer to pay for the babysitter for her son.

Emphasize safety both at the range with the firearm and in storing the firearm at home.

Let her know that after the instruction, she can make an informed decision on firearms. She won't be required to buy a gun or shoot someone just because she goes to the range.

Tell her you're Pro-Choice on the 2nd Amendment.

Tell us if you're successful in either getting her out to the range or changing her mind.

stubell

She closed on her place today so I guess the time to approach her with this is drawing near. I will let you know if I have sucessfully educated her or not. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ben

Since Anti's don't like LOGIC, what I tell them is:

"I could sure use your help in getting rid of all of this evil ammunition. The more ammo we shoot, the less there is for the bad guys... so let's do our part!" It seems to work.

They're simple-minded people,
Ben

------------------
Almost Online IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Erik

Remind her of the old "you should try anything once" mind set. Then be sure to make her as comfortable as possible. I started the last new shooter with literature on the subject- safety basics and target shooting basics. I had him over to my place the night before to review basic safety and gun handling. The next day at the range he started with a .22 single action army. When he was comfortable he progressed to a .38 singl action Ruger. I didn't bring any .357 on purpose. I finally allowed him to progress to a Glock 17 9mm to get a feel for that. He did reasonably well, considering he had never been around firearms before. The ranges were never over 25 feet. Most of the time the ranges were from 7 to 15 feet. He eventually took a basic pistol course and purchased a 357 S&W. I do not see him much, but every time I do he asks when we'll go again.

Erik

stubell

A little update for anyone who cares. i've convinced her to at least learn how to unload a gun and make it "safe". She has agreed and I'm hoping she will want to learn more.

During her training I plan to hand her the books and recommend she read them. I'll post more if anything develops.

Glenn E. Meyer

Make sure you go to an upscale range without
yahoos and loonies.

Be sure it has a nice clean set of restrooms
and places to clean up.

Nothing like the oneholer for all genders with the floating XXXX to convince someone of the true nature of shooters.

Ed Brunner

You can tailor the presentation to suit the person. Your young lady would probably agree that she is responsible for her son's safety.
Explain that police have a reaction time and that she and her son can both be harmed in that time. Discuss a number of ways she can protect them and give the pros and cons. It very likely will lead to guns.
Then follow the advice of the forum on how to expose her to gun training etc.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

deanf

Punchline: At gunpoint.

(joke, people. joke.)

------------------
"Anyone feel like saluting the flag which the strutting ATF and FBI gleefully raised over the smoldering crematorium of Waco, back in April of ‘93?" -Vin Suprynowicz

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited April 07, 2000).]

alan

Was going to suggest giving her a copy of Armed and Female, Paxton Quigley but I see someone already did.

As an alternative, perhaps some quiet conversation over dinner, washed down with some Jonnie Walker Black. On the other hand, you may have selected a very difficult objective.