How do you clean your Ruger 10/22's bore?

How do you clean your Ruger 10/22's bore?

• Brush and patches through the muzzle

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Brush and patches through the muzzle using a bore guide

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Boresnake through the chamber

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Remove barrel from receiver and use brush and patches through the chamber

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I don't clean my 10/22's bore

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters

dav

Semi-auto .22, but not a 10/22. Patches only, through chamber. Never use a brush. (nothing against a brush, just have never needed to on my .22)

Pahoo

Pretty much what DAV listed especially the omiting of any brush. I run the rod from muzzle to breech without a jag and at the breech, at the breech, I screw in the jag with wet patch and then draw it back out in one direction only. I repeat the process as needed. However, I do not clean all that often. Some folks clean .22's to often. On other older .22's that have been neglected, I may brush.

Be Safe !!!

L_Killkenny

I just shove in from the muzzle but many, many 10/22 owners drill a hole in the back of the receiver so they can clean from the breech.

brinky

I have a rod guide that fits on the end of the barrel to line up the rod to the bore. I also use a carbon fiber .22 rod so it won't tear up the crown and like above only use patches. Or, a .22 caliber bore snake would work with a little work and patience.

Pahoo

many 10/22 owners drill a hole in the back of the receiver so they can clean from the breech.

Personally I have never seen any real advantage to drilling this hole. You still have to remove the barrel and action, drop the trigger group, remove the bolt stop pin and then the bolt, in order to use this hole, just to clean the bore?? What am I missing ??? :confused:

Be Safe !!!

hoytinak

99% of the time it's just a boresnake but once a year or so I'll completey strip it and clean it real good.

wogpotter

I used to use a rod with a bore guide, then I got a .22 bore snake.
I put solvent on the first part of the snake in front of the brush & use 2~3 passes.
The rifle is field-stripped & the rest of the "guts" cleaned with patches & solvent.
Finally I use an oily rag wipe down on everything except the bore. That is oiled with a wool mop on the rod with a bore guide.
The (cleaned) bore snake is passed thru the bore before firing to remove excess oil.

wogpotter

Personally I have never seen any real advantage to drilling this hole. You still have to remove the barrel and action, drop the trigger group, remove the bolt stop pin and then the bolt, in order to use this hole, just to clean the bore?? What am I missing ???
Cleaning everything else:eek:

David the Gnome

My 10/22 is a trooper and rarely requires cleaning. I usually just thread a wet patch and run it through with the bore snake, then do the same thing with some dry patches until it's clean. I also run a brush over the bolt face and under the extractor to get the little particles and dust out whenever it needs it. My 10/22 is the only gun I really don't worry about. :p

erwos

One or two runs with a bore snake, then a wet+dry Hoppes #9 patch push. Comes out pretty clean at the end. After that, it's a wet+dry oil patch push.

I might not be a particularly good person to ask, though, as I'm still somewhat OCD about cleaning all of my guns after every range trip, even if they only had a hundred rounds of .22LR through them.

Gewehr98

No bore cleaning, at all.

Wet Q-Tip with Ed's Red.

Clean chamber from breech end.

Clean bolt face while in the neighborhood.

Clean crown at muzzle end.

Call it done.

(Clean the residual wax and bullet lube out of a Lilja-barreled or other quality heavy-barreled 10/22, and watch your groups open up until the bore is adequately lubed again...)

Picher

Being a benchrest shooter, I hate running a rod or anything across the crown, including a bore snake.

I drilled a hole through the receiver and run a rod through. I don't clean the bore of my Shilen barrel very often, but whenever I take the rifle apart to clean the action I'll run a patch through the bore.