• I Wet tumble

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • I Dry tumble

Votes: 48 53.9%
  • I use a sonic cleaner

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I use multiple methods

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Clean my brass! Silly people, I resize and GO!

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I have alternative methods (AKA other)

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shadow9mm

So I have seen a few threads on this topic several months back. Not really debating the methods pros and cons, just curious to see what you guys are using.

Last edited:

nhyrum

Wet tumble with stainless chips. I'll occasionally dry tumble loaded rounds, usually cast stuff to clean some of the lube off

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Shadow9mm

Wet tumble with stainless chips. I'll occasionally dry tumble loaded rounds, usually cast stuff to clean some of the lube off

Just be careful. Tumbling loaded rounds is not recommended. It can cause the powder in the case to break down / degrade and burn faster than intended.

jpx2rk

I usually wet tumble with pins, but have a old school vibratory drum I use on occasion. It all depends on my mood, and the volume of brass I feel like cleaning at that time. LOL

Nick_C_S

I dry vibra-tumble in corn cob first.

Resize/decap, flair, . . .

Then wet tumble with ss pins to get 'em looking good as new.

Load, shoot, repeat.

Shadow9mm

By vibrating the case in the tumbler it vibrates the powder in the case as well. Dust comes off the media because it abbraids itself, even if you run it with no brass. Thus the powder can abraid itself in the case as well

nhyrum

By vibrating the case in the tumbler it vibrates the powder in the case as well. Dust comes off the media because it abbraids itself, even if you run it with no brass. Thus the powder can abraid itself in the case as well
Both the chief ballistician for Hornady and hodgdon say that's false. I'm pretty sure there are some manufacturers that tumble loaded rounds

hammered54

i dry tumble then de prime and size then wet tumble with ss pins....I also give them a 5 min. dry tumble after loading.

Matt.

sparkyv

I sonicate brass with ~1/4 tsp. citric acid and 10 drops Dawn dish soap in 2.5L water for 30 minutes and sun dry. Gets them very clean, but not like-new shiny. Works great!

higgite

Just be careful. Tumbling loaded rounds is not recommended. It can cause the powder in the case to break down / degrade and burn faster than intended.

If that’s so, why does powder in bottles and jugs, or for that matter in commercial ammunition, not destructively abrade itself as it rides from factories to distributors to store shelves to end users? Not to mention military and law enforcement vehicles and helicopters.

Again I ask, do you have a legitimate source for your assertion or just internet myth?

Shadow9mm

If that’s so, why does powder in bottles and jugs, or for that matter in commercial ammunition, not destructively abrade itself as it rides from factories to distributors to store shelves to end users? Not to mention military and law enforcement vehicles and helicopters.

Again I ask, do you have a legitimate source for your assertion or just internet myth?
Riding in a vehicle, in a box, which minimizes vibration, is not the same as deliberately putting it in a confined space that vigorously vibrates with the intent of abrading things.

do you have any legitimate sources which disprove basic physics that vibration does not cause materials to abrade each other?

44 AMP

Staff

I'd say its a matter of degree. And by that I mean intensity and duration. powder in containers and ammo in shipment simply doesn't get the same kind or duration of vibration that a couple hours in a tumbler/vibratory cleaner does.

think of it kind of like paint. Paint goes in the can or bottle fully mixed, but over time, with all the vibration of shipping and transport, it still separates. A few minutes in a paint shaker and its mixed together again.

Constant agitation (and especially high speed/frequency) over even a brief time is different than low grade intermittent shaking.

Lots of people "tumble" loaded ammo. They just don't do it for hours on end, and I think the general warning about "its a poor idea" is because someone alsways goes too far.

I do tumble brass to clean, and then again to remove sizing lube (the modern stuff is great that way) but I process my brass in batches and all tumbling is over before priming and loading begins.

higgite

Riding in a vehicle, in a box, which minimizes vibration, is not the same as deliberately putting it in a confined space that vigorously vibrates with the intent of abrading things.

do you have any legitimate sources which disprove basic physics that vibration does not cause materials to abrade each other?
No one is claiming that abrasion doesn't take place. Of course it does. But, you stated in post #3 that tumbling can degrade powder to the point of affecting it's burn rate. I gave you a reference in post #5 in which 2 legitimate sources, the Chief Ballistic Scientist at Hornady Manufacturing and the Head Ballistician at Hodgdon Powder, both agree that what you stated in post #3 is a myth. I've simply been asking you to cite any legitimate sources who support the myth and can back it up.

Shadow9mm

No one is claiming that abrasion doesn't take place. Of course it does. But, you stated in post #3 that tumbling can degrade powder to the point of affecting it's burn rate. I gave you a reference in post #5 in which 2 legitimate sources, the Chief Ballistic Scientist at Hornady Manufacturing and the Head Ballistician at Hodgdon Powder, both agree that what you stated in post #3 is a myth. I've simply been asking you to cite any legitimate sources who support the myth and can back it up.
And I have stated basic science supports it, which you agreed with. Powder being abraded increases the surface area and thus will effect the burn rate. Now, will it be to a degree that effects the over all performance or makes things unsafe. That depends on the duration and speed/frequency of the vibration. Vibratory tumblers are aggressive in relation to the speed and frequency of the vibration, the only control one has is the duration. While the effect may be minimal if the duration is short, it will have an effect, the only question is to what degree.

A member here posted on a thread a few years back that he tumbled loaded rounds continuously for maybe a day and then tested them against identical un tumbled rounds. Result was.....no difference in velocity or accuracy.

higgite

And I have stated basic science supports it, which you agreed with. Powder being abraded increases the surface area and thus will effect the burn rate. Now, will it be to a degree that effects the over all performance or makes things unsafe. That depends on the duration and speed/frequency of the vibration. Vibratory tumblers are aggressive in relation to the speed and frequency of the vibration, the only control one has is the duration. While the effect may be minimal if the duration is short, it will have an effect, the only question is to what degree.
I absolutely agree that basic science supports that abrasion takes place when two surfaces rub together. But, it does not support the internet myth that tumbling affects burn rate. If you will take the time to read the article that I linked to in post #5, you will see that the deterrent which controls burn rate is impregnated into the powder grains, not just on the surface. It can't be rubbed off. Without any legitimate sources that say otherwise, which you have yet to provide, the myth remains a myth. I'm done.

pete2

For handgun, dry tumble then straight to the Dillon. Rifle, size, wipe off lube, clean pockets then dry tumble.