How Do You Change the Hammer Spring in a SIG

Incursion

I have a 228, and I can't figure out how to change the hammer spring or mag spring. How do you take the magazine spring off the plate?

Incursion

Ok, the entire rod that holds the hammer spring came out. How do I take off the old spring, and how do I get the rod back in place?

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Incursion, isn't there a pin at the bottom of the mainspring? If there is, compress the spring, remove the pin and then slowly ease off the spring. I believe the mag spring is held onto the plate by little tabs. You either need to just pull it "forward" from the tab or you might need to bend the tab a bit to get the spring off then bend it back when the new one is in place. George

Incursion

I can't get the pin out with needle nose pliers and I can't knock it back in all they way to put the entire strut back in to relieve the tension. What should I do?

slickpuppy

Is the hammer cocked? It shouldn't be

You may want to update to the newer plastic mainspring seat and avoid all this hassle if your pistol can use it.

Try calling Sig to see if you can use the new style. You can order the part from them or from
http://www.rbgunparts.com

If you go the plastic mainspring seat route you will need to use the shorter mainsprings instead of the long ones. www.gunsprings.com will give you a pricing idea on that.

Incursion

The strut isn't in the frame anymore. I can't get it back in correctly because the pin is not in the right place. It's almost completely out.

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Incursion, if you don't want to take it to your local smith or if there isn't one near you give Sig a call and maybe they can talk you through it. George