How do you carry your Beretta 92 (or similar handgun)?

Yung.gunr

I was able to bet a Beretta 92 recently even though I wasn't planning on carrying it. I did decide to get a holster for it, just a cheap Uncle Mikes paddle holster off of BP. Just checking it out around the house it is very comfortable and now I'm thinking about carrying it after work hours and weekends (can't carry or have on company property).

So now the question is how to carry it? Like hammer down safety off, safety on, safety off hammer cocked? The only thing I would change about this gun is the option of having the safety on with the hammer cocked. I had a Beretta 9000s that I never carried that you could leave cocked and still use the safety. You just went one push farther then "Safe" and then it would decock. I know there are different terminology like "Condition 1" and what not but I don't know them (if you care to explain that as well).

I was thinking hammer down safety off, for the long heavy DA first shot. I have carried a XD and my TCP so this is my first DA/SA so a little unsure.

Sorry for the long post, I just get going and then find my post really long.

Sport45

I'd carry decocked as well with the safety off.

I'm not familiar with the Beretta. Will it allow hammer down, safety on?

ShipWreck

Loaded chamber, hammer down, safety off.

The DA pull being heavier IS the added safety to not squeeze a round off by accident (getting started, etc)

Carry IWB at the 3 o'clock position...

Carrygear2.jpg

ScotchMan

safety off hammer cocked

Just cause no one else has mentioned it, the above would be extremely unsafe. Hammer back only if safety is on, and I don't believe the Beretta can do this since the safe position doubles as the decocker.

dgludwig

Hammer down (de-cocked) and safety "off". The same way I carry my Smith&Wesson "third generation" traditional da pistol variants.

Jseteroff

The 92FS cannot be on safe if the hammer is cocked, this puts it in SA mode and would be unsafe to carry that way.

I can't speak to the other services, but the Airforce guys carry thier M9s with one in the chamber and off safe. As mentioned before the Double action acts as a safety, since the DA pull is 12 lbs, its won't fire unless you are intending to pull the trigger.

xLPlushy

I carry my PX4 the same way most have said, round chambered, safety off, hammer down, that is when I carry it.

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone

comn-cents

If it was me I would carry it de-cocked safety on. The reason being if you carry it safety off and somehow the safety is put "on" and you are not use to swiping it off, this can be confusing in a stress situation. It really doesn’t take any more time to learn "safety-on" carry as long as you train that way. I like blade-tech inside the waist band holsters or Galco summer specials.

LockedBreech

If it was me I would carry it de-cocked safety on. The reason being if you carry it safety off and somehow the safety is put "on" and you are not use to swiping it off, this can be confusing in a stress situation. It really doesn’t take any more time to learn "safety-on" carry as long as you train that way. I like blade-tech inside the waist band holsters or Galco summer specials.

That's a great point in general, but with the PX4 at least you KNOW when that batwing is set to fire :D

comn-cents

Are you talking the safety? if so, how do you know it's oof, unless you are looking at it? Dosen't seem to be a very good idea if you are facing a threat and having to take you eyes off of them.

LockedBreech

Are you talking the safety? if so, how do you know it's oof, unless you are looking at it? Dosen't seem to be a very good idea if you are facing a threat and having to take you eyes off of them.

Sorry, dumb joke, it'd make more sense if you'd owned and shot a PX4 for the last 4 years like I have - the safety is hilariously noticeable - either off or on - when a proper sight picture is being held. It looks like a big batwing when off.