How do you avoid wasting your Hoppes?

D-Bak

I always end up wasting a lot of my Hoppes solvent.... which is not all bad because that just means the room smells like it longer.....but on the other hand I would like to be a little less wasteful....

Thanks guys...

D-Bak

Anon

Wow, Ralph, what a great first post.

That's exactly what I do.

And the big bottle is cheap.

scottys1

I use needle oiler bottles available form Brownell's. Great for squirting or injecting a little oil where needed. Also works for wetting a cleaning patch with no waste.

I have two in my cleaning box (a fishing tackle box), one for oil and one for bore cleaner.

rem33

Yep bought buy the quart then used in a smaller bottle. If you make a mistake your quart isn't contaminated is another plus of the smaller jar.

D-Bak

how do you think an eye dropper would work?? Would the solvent eat away at the rubber and plastic?

rem33

how do you think an eye dropper would work?? Would the solvent eat away at the rubber and plastic

I keep several different syringes in my gun room. My lady works in a pharmacy or they can be had at a farm supply. Usually I remove the needles but on occasion I will DULL! the needle before use. I find they're handy at times for lubes. solvents. and oils. I find them especially good for Oxpho_blue cold blue or any other product you need to be very careful to not contaminate what you don't use.

Dfariswheel

I use plastic paint transfer bulbs.
These are plastic bulbs with a long, thin spout.
These are solvent proof and are used to transfer paints and various solvents and thinners.

I fill the bulb, insert the cleaning brush or patch into the bore, then give it a squirt of bore solvent.
No contamination of the solvent, no solvent in the action, and no wasted solvent.

You can buy these at most artist's supply houses, or order them from Brownell's.
The ones they carry are made by Accubore specifically for bore solvent:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9953&title=ACCUBORE

mjrodney

Even less expensive is the yellow mustard bottle with the cone shaped top.

This top twists to close (store brand mustard) and is impervious to Hoppe's.

I've had one on the shelf filled with Hoppe's for nigh on a year now.

Twist and apply directly to the patch.

Bud Helms

Great ideas. I like scottys1's best. Large hypodermics sound like a good idea too ... yeah, with the needles dulled. ;)

moredes15

Lame, lame, lame. Buncha rank amateur answers here.:rolleyes: :D

Let the king cheep step in here...only Derby FALs came close, and he was off by half... make a hole, fellas:

I clean all parts over a bread pan. (remember--'cheap' is the name of the game: Walmart's aluminum bread pan, about 10" x 6" x 4") Anything drips drips into the pan. Look up 'automotive paint supplies' in the phone book and go to one of the wholesaler suppliers and ask for some paper paint strainers. They'll strain lint fibers like you see floating in sun rays. Strain your used Hoppe's into a jar kept specifically for "used Hoppe's". After a few days, the remaining carbon sludge that strained through will settle on the bottom and you can pour off the clear Hoppe's into a squeeze bottle. I remember it used to look 90% as clean as new Hoppe's.

"Method Numbah Two" is 'way cheeper though.... use the same straining method with "Ed's Red". :D :D :D

Ed's works at least as well as Hoppe's and costs about 1/4 as much; I never sat down and compared final costs, but roughly, from below, ER costs ~ $15 per gallon; Midway sells #9 in quarts for $15. Without the lanolin ingredient added to Ed's Red, there's no purported lubrication. I use Mobil One for lubrication as a following step, anyway. Good enough for piston rings, good enough for me. My guns don't complain.

Ed's Red:

Makes slightly more than one (1) gallon of Ed's Red.

http://www.totse.com/en/politics/right_to_keep_and_bear_arms/eds_red.html or
http://www.flat5.net/eds_red.html

Ed's Red Notes
* 1 qt. ATF III (Automatic Transmission Fluid), Walmart automotive department, about $2.00
* 1 qt. Acetone, Home Depot paint department, $5.69 plus tax. (Probably also available at Walmart.) This ingredient is listed as "optional" in the original formulation -- it accelerates the cleaning action -- and is the most volatile [and hazardous] ingredient.
* 1 qt. Deodorized Mineral Spirits, Home Depot paint department, $3.69 plus tax. (Probably also available at Walmart.)
* 1 qt. K1 Kerosene. $3.20 (cash) for one gallon.

I read a tip somewhere once, and I'd bet money they're right--if you use acetone with your ER, store the mixture in a metal or glass container. DO NOT store it in anything made of plastics. It'll dissolve over time, and you'll have a soft, sludgy "bottle" with its' evident solvent leak.

Dave Markowitz

I buy Hoppe's in a large bottle but transfer that into a small bottle that fits in my range box. When I put the solvent on a patch or brush I use a pipette.

Hal

I only use a drop or 2 behind the ears these days and quit splashing it on like aftershave.

:D:eek: :)

gwalchmai

I don't do immersion cleaning any more. I just put a few drops on a GI toothbrush to clean my actions, and a few on a patch for the barrel. There's very little waste.

If I need to dunk something I mix a cup of HD motor oil in mineral spirits and use that.

Re: Eds red

Will the acetone in Eds Red hurt the finish on a wooden stock? how about polymer?

also, anyone have a link for good prices on Hoppes? if not, brownells has a quart for about $18.

thanks.

Hal

Will the acetone in Eds Red hurt the finish on a wooden stock? how about polymer?
Maybe.
Then again, the ATF may also.

Polymer?
Probably not.
Still it's best to check it in an inconspicuous place first.