How Do I Remove The BHP Mag Disconnect?

glockopop

I am aware of the legal ramifications. This is a target/competition piece, not for carry or self-defense, so no flames from the armchair lawyers please. Just looking for the instructions to see if I want to do it myself or send it to the 'smith.

Wildalaska

If you have never done it yourslef, take it to a smith. Otherwise, drive out trigger pin, remove trigger, drive out mag safety pin, remove mag safety, reinstall trigger :)

WildwaittoyougettothereinstallAlaska

Mannlicher

Legal ramifications? What legal ramifications? Despite all the years of bleating by the "holier (and smarter) then you and I" crowd here, I have yet to find a single instance of the feared and dreded 'legal ramifications' for removing the disconnect from a BHP.

anyway, its fairly easy to pull one out.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

will help you through it.

Wrangler5

When I took mine out, the hardest part was getting the trigger pin out. THAT was a real bear. Be sure to tape off the frame around the pin, as there's a good chance your punch will slip at least once. The improvement in trigger feel is well worth the effort, though.

Pampers

You don't have to take out the trigger, just the small pin through the trigger.

But why not try what I've doen to mine? After removing the plunger, polish the face with a hard Arkansas Stone and reinsert it. Likewise polish the Magazines where the plunger contacts them. Apply a little Brownell's Action Lube Plus to the contact areas, cycle them all through the Gun and VOILA ... a much smother action.

Wrangler5

I think the reason to remove the trigger is to be able to support the trigger solidly while you drive out the little pin holding the disconnector in place. You can see it with the trigger still installed in the gun, but it's best not to pound on the side of the trigger while it's just hanging on the trigger pin.

Now if you have a spare set of hands to hold the gun with the trigger still in it, and can make a backing support small enough and solid enough to handle the pounding on the trigger without transferring the pounding force to the frame or pin, and provide a clearance hole in the support for the disconnector pin when you drive it out, then it would be no trick to do the job with the trigger still in the gun.

Polishing the disconnector pad and the front of each magazine is indeed a way to smooth out the feel of a disconnector-equipped Hi Power. But if you shoot much between cleanings the feel will start to change as soot builds up on the sliding surfaces, and you'll have to polish each magazine you have now or get in the future. Which may or may not be a big deal.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. On newer guns from about the Mk II onward, I've had to remove the trigger before removing the pin holding the magazine disconnect. On my '70's vintage guns, simply driving out the pin holding the mag disconnect place would allow both it and the spring to pop out by wiggling the lifter a bit. I wish it were still that way, but in the more recent guns I've tried, it wasn't.

Best.