how do i obtain an ffl?

gbob01

Could you specify which one for us please. 03 C&R or 01 Dealer? Either way you can start with the ATF web site, they will have most of the info you need and can get you started on the forms.

Redleg

Not trying to hijack the thread here but what's the difference? Obviously the 01 Dealer is self explainitory but whats the other? A while back I was interested in obtaining an FFL for strictly personal benefit, i.e faster checks, shipping for online purchases etc. I heard it was a PITA to get one though and probably not worth the hassle if not getting into the business.

gbob01

redleg, the difference lies in what you can actually order. The 01FFL is a dealers license. It allows you to order any firearm and sell them at profit to others on a business level. The 03 C&R FFL is a Curio & Relics collectors license. This allows the holder to order firearms that are classed as C&R by the ATF, by being #1. 50 years or more old, or #2. on an ATF approved list as a curio piece (demanding part of its value from its collectabilty). This license does not allow the holder/collector to trade or sell on a business level, but is for more personal use. Most C&R's you will find right now are bolt guns, but many more semi's are becoming available i.e., yugo sks, albanian sks, garands, original m14s, p17's. And it won't be long before theoretically older AR's will be C&R eligible once they hit the 50yo mark. The 03 license cost $30 and you will usually save that much in dealers fees and transfer costs with your first order. Good investment IMO, I have one myself.

2002gti

i poked around atf's website but didnt see anywhere to apply for the c&r. the only info i saw was the list of guns that are c&r. anyone have info and procedure on how to apply. whats the timeframe to obtain lic. ? tia

2002gti

got my c&r application today.

super quick delivery. i got 1 green form, the application and 2 white sheets that are called certification of compliance. the instructions say send 1 copy to atf and 1 copy to my cheif law enforcement officer. that would be the chief of police in my city. how do i adress it to him or do i just send it to the police department? i want to make sure i do this right. thanks

Last edited:

Rebeldon

I've been told by two people, albeit dealers, that it was impossible now to get an FFL without a storefront, and that you will have to have a profit of $5000 anually to maintain the license. Are they trying to discourage me?

Dfariswheel

There is no "Law" that says you MUST have a storefront, and nothing anywhere about a dollar figure to have a 01 FFL.

The BATF does want FFL holders to be actually "In the business", not hobby Dealers who have a license for their own personal benefit.

Years ago, we were told by the Feds "Get a FFL. It'll keep you legal, and you can save money".

Then Chucki Schumer threw a hissy-fit about "these hobbyist who just have a FFL to save money". (Apparently, saving money upsets liberals).

So then, under Billy Boy Clinton, the BATF started instituting all kinds of changes for qualification for a FFL, and made it much harder to have one.
The price went up, (Not as much as the Democrats wanted), they started requiring photos and fingerprints, and demanding photos of "your store".

IN any event, while not FORBIDDEN, it's tough to get an FFL unless you have some kind of storefront.

Much of this depends on where you live. In the mid-West, the BATF doesn't much care, in more liberal areas, even store front operations are getting a lot of picky scrutiny.

The BATF will also demand that you meet ALL state and local laws, ordinances, and tax and licensing requirements, like having a tax number and business licenses.

Dusty Miller

The down side of having an FFl and working out of your home his that the BATF has carte blanche to search your place of business at any time of day or night and if its your home then they can ransack the place and you can't do jack about it.

gbob01

the instructions say send 1 copy to atf and 1 copy to my cheif law enforcement officer. that would be the chief of police in my city. how do i adress it to him or do i just send it to the police department?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your chief LEO would be your city police chief, or if out of the city (like myself), it would be your county sheriff. Address it to him personally, at the dept.s address. It will get to the right place, as he probably doesn't open his own mail anyways. http://www.cruffler.com also has sample cover letters that you can use to send with the copy of the app. They will also have sample letters to send to the dealers with your license once you get it.