How Do I Make My Revolver Dream Come True?

Skans

I have a vision of a very specific Revolver that I want, which is not made. However, the custom work needed to make it the way I want it should be easily possible. What I want is a S&W 627 8-shot .357 with 2.6" barrel; but with a fluted cylinder (they only come with unfluted). I was thinking just buy the one with the longer barrel (has fluted cylinder) and then have the 2.6" barrel professionally installed. Other ways is to buy the 2.6" barrel gun and swap out cylinders, if one can be found.

And, if possible, I want a very fine brushed stainless finish. I'm assuming that the entire gun would need to be polished and then brushed. Can S&W's custom shop do this work? Who would I talk to about this?

I would think that the best way to find out if the S&W Custom Shop can do it would be to call them up and ask. If they can't (or won't -- obviously they can), then start calling custom revolversmiths.

DaleA

I don't know what your age or financial situation is but a couple of events in the last couple of years would lead me to suggest if you have a dream gun you'd like to have do it sooner rather than later.

Good luck.

Dave T

I just created a gun S&W doesn't make and it was quite easy. I found a 4" 325 PD and like everything but the Titanium cylinder. A stainless cylinder from Gun Parts Corp. solved the problem. I didn't even have to have it fitted. I took the star/extractor out of the Ti cylinder and put it in the stainless one. Timing and indexing was as good with the replacement cylinder as with the original. No gun smithing needed, just the ability to take the cylinder apart.

Dave

bipe215

The early versions had a fluted cylinder. They were designated M627 PC. Probably worth two or three grand now.

Last edited:

lee n. field

I have a vision of a very specific Revolver that I want, which is not made. However, the custom work needed to make it the way I want it should be easily possible. What I want is a S&W 627 8-shot .357 with 2.6" barrel; but with a fluted cylinder (they only come with unfluted). I was thinking just buy the one with the longer barrel (has fluted cylinder) and then have the 2.6" barrel professionally installed.

Or shortened, and a new front sight installed.

If you're on the Book of Faces, check out the "I'm With Roscoe" group. Folks do that kind of stuff, in there.

Bulwyf

Personally, I had a couple of these “dream builds”.
Some turn out pretty good, but cost a lot and it’s kinda anticlimactic
The ones I never made? Forgotten and unneeded. Buy ammo and go shoot your guns. That will be more fun and better for you.
Friendly advice, if you make it, post a pic.
Best Wishes.