How do I buy a rifle in another state

Lavid2002

Warehouse in MI near my uncles cabin has better prices than here in NJ. What are the rules-what should I do to purchase a rifle in MI on a trip when I will be coming back to NJ where I live? Rules and regulations. Anyone know them?
Thanks!
Dave

Kreyzhorse

Good question. I know a person can buy long guns out of their home state, but it is only in a limited amout of states. For example, I live in Kentucky and can purchase a long gun in all the states surrounding Kentucky.

I'm not sure that you will be able to buy a long gun in Michigan with a New Jersey license.

I may be wrong however but I'm sure someone with a better understanding of the law will update this post.

mikenbarb

Transfer

Dave, You need a current FID card and a drivers license with the same address and info. I know from NY and Pa isnt a problem but you might have to have sent to a FFL here and pick up so they can do the N.J. paperwork. Go onto the State Police website and it should tell you how to do it. If not you can call them, They list their numbers on the site along with printable transfer papers. Also, check out Gander Mtn. in Middletown. They have good prices and might make the purchase a little easier for you.

wjkuleck

There are three sets of regulations here.

First, the Federal Law. Per FOPA '86, there is no Federal restriction on buying a long gun out of state, face to face, from an FFL Dealer.

Second, State Law in the state of purchase. The state where you wish to purchase a long gun may have a restriction (generally a residue from the original GCA '68, where contiguity was required, many states copied that part of the Federal Law) on purchaser's state of residence. Here in Ohio, for example, while Federal Law permits a NJ resident to purchase a rifle, Ohio law requires that the purchaser be a resident of a contiguous state. We (Fulton Armory) run into this when we have our store at Camp Perry during the National Matches.

Third, State Law in the state of residence. Purchasers of firearms who are residents of IL, MA, CA, and, from what I read in this thread, NJ, inter alia, have their state law with which to contend. FFL Dealers are required to sell to out-of-state purchasers only in a manner consistent with the puchaser's state of residence. Since the requirements of some states are arcane, and the requirement to be a courant with all the relevant state laws of other states (the BATFE publishes an annual book of state regulations to assist FFL holders in these matters) is burdensome, some dealers simply won't sell to out-of-state residents, particularly to those from states with difficult requirements. I've run into dealers who refuse to honor a C&R FFL because I was from out-of-state!

As noted previously in this thread, prospective purchasers should enquire of their local authorities as to what procedures they must follow or documents they must acquire, and also enquire of the vendor to what requirements in his or her state out-of-state purchasers must conform.

It was a whole lot easier when you could send a postal money order & get your rifle delivered by Railway Express. Of course, that ended forty years ago this year.

Regards,

Walt

Forwardassist

The basic answer is you can buy a long arm out of state as long as you adhere to the laws in your home state. You will need to show your NJ firearm license to the dealer, and can not buy anything that would be restricted in your home state. For Example you can not go to PA, to buy a AR with all the evil features and take it back to NJ.

FYI, I live in Mass, and have bought long arms in NYS without any hassle. It was quite painless. All I did was show my license to the dealer, filled out the Federal form, and was on my way. The dealer did not have to fill out the Mass paper work, mandatory for instate sales, but I had to fill it out the form (available at the local Police station) at home and send it to the state firearms records office. Now that might be different in NJ.

mikenbarb

Lavid, You absolutely have to have this registered in N.J., If not they can pull the crossing the state line bullcrap with an unregistered firearm in the state of New Jersey. Your best bet is to have it sent down to an ffl of your choice and let them do the paperwork for you.(approx 50.00) You need an FID card with a matching drivers license and they also have to do the required NICS background check before you take into possesion.(another 15.00) Ask an FFL dealer in your area what you have to do or like I said before, Check with the State Police before you purchase. Go to their website and take a look to be on the safe side. Its not worth taking the chance of doing it wrong.