How did you start?

Harry Callahan

About a year ago I thought I was ready to take the plunge and get in to reloading. A number of fine people on this forum provided me with good information on equipment, safety, etc. Well, I'm still a little hesitant to actually start reloading, that is, before actually SEEING someone who KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING actually guide me through each step. I know this would be time consuming and quite possibly frustrating for a veteran of this "sport" to take a rookie like me under his/her wing and show me the ropes. I've tried to find people at the range I go to from time to time that would help me but they don't have the time. I'm a reasonably intelligent person and usually learn quite quickly but just need need someone to help me get my feet wet. I live in a western suburb of Chicago(thanks for the condolences)and if anyone who reloads lives nearby and wouldn't mind a student or point me in another direction, I sure would appreciate it:eek:!

LHB1

Harry,
I just jumped in. Bought a Lyman 310 Tong tool back in '63. After messing with it for several months, I bought a 3 station C-H H-press, dies, powder scale, powder measure, Lyman electric melting pot, bullet mold, SAECO lubrisizer, and began loading/shooting seriously.

Best advice I can give if you can't find a mentor is to buy 2 or 3 good reloading books (ABC's of Reloading, RCBS/Speer/Lyman/Hornady/etc.) and read the introductory chapters carefully. Reloading is like driving a car, it is as safe or dangerous as you make it. It does not require an Einstein to read and follow directions. Danger comes when you start taking shortcuts, trying to load hotter loads, find the "real maximum load above what the manuals publish that is one tenth grain short of blowing your gun up", or substituting components without knowing what you are doing.

remshooter

While it can be good to watch somebody that knows what they are doing its also a good way to learn bad habits. There are a ton of well meaning folks out there that reload that I would not pull the trigger of anything that was loaded with one of their reloads. Granted these folks have never had a problem but it seems their luck will run out someday.

Read all you can and follow the directions. You will do fine and then you will know the proper way to reload.

nstoolman1

I started 29 years ago. Started out reloading for my .357 Colt (38 spcl and Mags). Then my Marlin in .357. Then my .223. Hoping to start on my m1. In the process of moving so I can set up my man-cave and start again. I feel it's very relaxing. Let me also say that I am by no means an expert. I still learn something every time I crack open a reloading book or read something on this forum.

hodaka

I started with one of the Lee Loader kits. Basically a die with a hammer. It works, and shows the basics but hardly a volume reloader. It fit my budget at the time, basically no money at all, and let me make some .38's that went bang every time. As previously mentioned, get a couple of books. I recommend the Lyman one. The vast majority of the information you get on this site is good also. Enjoy.

GingerGuy

I started reloading in October of this year, sorry, last year and have pressed out over 2,500 rounds so far. I went to a gun shop that specializes in reloading after I had read a lot on the forums and other internet sites. It worked out great that the shop I use, also recommends the press I bought. Having them working with you and their having first hand experience was good. Any question I had, they had been there, done that.

I used youtube as 'my guy(s) to walk me through the process.' Not perfect, but with enough reading and those on youtube I got the job started.

I had saved my brass from factory rounds and had a good supply ready since I bought a tumbler several months prior.

.45acp is a good round to start with, I think most would agree it's the best place to start.

I hope this opinion doesn't start the 'what press to buy' comments, but I did buy a Dillon 550B. since I shoot quite a bit. After using it for several months, I believe for me it was a smart choice. I value strong customer service and the warranty for life is priceless.

Purchase a bullet puller from day one, I promise you will use it.

The Lyman manual is a great resource, I supplement it with the freebies from the powder guys.

I started with Bullseye powder for the .45acp, but discovered it's dirtier than the factory ammo I used, and have just tried Titegroup. I like it because it's cleaner and similar to the factory ammo.

CCI primers are fine to start with. Rainier has a good round nose FMJ bullet. Resist the desire to stock up on supplies until you have shot a while, you might decide to change something after you get some experience and reread posts on the forum since they will have even greater meaning with the new found experience you'll have.

Just take your time setting up the set, look at each part carefully to help you understand it's function in the press. Chances are, they all will be fine tuned to achieve your desired results...and have fun...I enjoy reloading as much as shooting, shooting your own rounds is more satisfying than factory ammo. good luck...

Sevens

I live smack dab in the middle of Ohio and if you were anywhere near me, I'd be more than happy to show you how I spend time at the bench. But that's just not close.

I started as a 16 or 17 year old, completely alone, with no help other than a Speer Number 11 manual. For tools and equipment, I had bare bones on a shoe string budget. How bare bones? Check this out:

--One single stage Lee Challenger Press (called breech-lock Challenger currently)
--One set of Lee carbide dies, .38/.357.
--One set of the Lee plastic dippers with a slide chart telling me which dipper to use
--One RCBS plastic load block
--Lee Safety Prime, press mounted priming tool
--CCI Small Pistol Primers
--Once-fired Federal brass, .38 Special
--Speer 158 grain swaged RN and SWC lead bullets
--one pound of Hercules Green Dot

Yes... no tumbler, no scale, no puller, no caliper, no powder measure, just the few items listed. And no supervision, and I didn't have a TFL forum or a powder manufacturer's website or tech help. I made working, safe, successful and even accurate ammo for a Smith & Wesson 686 revolver.

My first trigger pull on my own ammo? Outdoor range, 100 yard line, pointed at the dirt back stop, one handed, head turned, eyes closed and it went bang. All subsequent shots were aimed with one eye open and a two hand hold, most of the shooting done at 25 yards.

This is something YOU can do, especially if you buy a decent scale. Some calibers are easier and more forgiving than others, too, and that helps a bit. There's even one guy around this forum (I think it's Smaug?) who has uploaded some YouTube videos that show him at the bench and others have found them very helpful. (I'm on dialup, I haven't actually seen them)

Do you have specific questions? Is there a particular part that has blocked you from giving this a go? Is there one step that doesn't make sense, keeping you from taking the next move?

Post the questions or thoughts here in this thread, or send a PM.

DEDON45

I was 14 or 15, with no help (my Stepdad just bought the supplies and encouraged me)... granted, I was raised up to be responsible, and I went about things very carefully. Started with a few of the old mallet-powered lee loaders and a set of the lee "scoops"... the constant banging noise in the garage (mostly from mallet blows, but I also had a few primers go off during seating ... I developed an impressive flinch when reloading with that tool), which was attached to the house, prompted my stepfather to invest in an inexpensive single stage press, a Lee Challenger, which broke several times at the toggle joint (they may be making them stronger now--that's what I hear--that's why I'm not a big Lee fan now... but it did get me started), a Lee "Perfect" powder measure, and some lee dies.

I reloaded everything, in fact before I was 16 (when I could go get a regular job), one of the tasks he gave me to tackle over the summer (we lived on 30 acres in the country, so there was farm equipment, plenty of work to do) was to develop warm (well, some were pretty damn hot) loads that were accurate and safe in his various pistols and rifles...

Fast forward to (I graduated High School in '94, if that helps with the timeline) college, etc. moving to the city, I didn't even have a gun in the apartment, house, etc. until about 10 years ago (just didn't think about it)... then I started getting back into shooting again, accelerated by an old High School buddy moving in with me (grew up shooting like I did)... about 7 months ago, he and I looked at each other, and his Dad's old Spar-T press that he inherited when his Dad passed away, and ammo costs, and decided to get back into it... he on his Dad's old turret press (he's married, etc., so new toy purchases have to approved by the Board), me on a new Hornady Progressive. I have to say we've really enjoyed it, and we are saving some money, but mostly, we end up shooting more.

Oh... and to answer the other question, what would I recommend that you start with... get one of the excellent kits offered by RCBS, Lyman, or Hornady for any of their Single-Stage or Turret Press kits... I think that the Lyman T-Mag kit probably offers the best of all worlds to the beginning reloader, although I use mainly Hornady equipment (my single stage and progressives are both Hornady). The only thing I think that none of the kits include that you will definitely need is a case trimmer, if you are reloading rifle rounds (I like my Lyman trimmer, others make good ones too)... I think most of them come with calipers; if the kit you choose does not, get an inexpensive digital set (you can get some for 30.00 to 40.00 that will be fine for reloading purposes). An addition you'll probably make soon after will be a tumbler, to clean your brass... Lyman makes a good, inexpensive, durable unit as well.

Last edited:

Antihero47

I started just last month. I had to go it alone, and learn it by myself. I wound up watching a lot of Youtube videos on the net, learning the different tools that I would need and in what order to do things. I always watched multiple videos of everything to try to back stuff up. I also kept a keen eye out and asked a lot of questions here.

I am 20 years old, and after I got a a few checks and knew my bills were paid, I went to bass pro and checked out prices compared to the internet. While I was there I just committed to doing it, and buying everything that I thought I was going to need equipment wise from the start.

I bought the Lee Turret Press Kit,
30/06 Lee Pacesetter Dies with shell holder,
Frankford Arsenal Bullet Puller,
Lyman Tumbler,
Crushed Walnut with additive,
Lee Auto Prime - Small and Large Primers,
Lee Auto Prime ShellHolder,
Hodgdon Varget 1lb Powder,
1 Box 100 Sierra 150gr Matchking,
1000 CCI Large Primers,
Lyman Case Lube,
RCBS Reloading DVD,
Powder Funnel,
50 Holed cartridge holding block,
2 50rd Ammo Boxes
1 Caltec Digital caliper - From Harbor Freight

Everything came out to about $400... :eek:

I got home, popped in the RCBS Reloading DVD and watched it a few times, then mounted my press onto my workbench, watched how to install the dies, opened up everything else and threw some lube down, rolled 50 of my brass I had, and ran them through the resizing die. Had some issues and asked here, got the awnser, resized them all. After I resized I deburred and chamfered the cases. Pulled out the autoprime, got them all primed. Pulled out my scale included with the kit, zeroed and looked at the starting charge at the hodgdon data center for 150gr hp and started throwing 5 charges and into the cases in a stair step fashion up to the maximum charge.

Marked each charged cases primer with a Sharpie in various colors, as to know which round was which powder charge. Then went and ran them through the bullet seating die, checked the C.O.L. with the calipers, brough down the die, ran, checked, and adjusted again until I had the right C.O.L called for.

Wen to the range, shot my loads and got a .90" group with 49.5gr of Varget. Loaded more with charge differences of about .3 more, and .3 less. Did not see a difference, so I stayed at 49.5gr of Varget with a 150gr Sierra Matchking HPBT, C.O.L. of 3.25", with CCI large primers.

Thats just to start.. but its how I started.

I just purchased a Rem700 SPS Tactical Heavy Barrel in .308 Win... I just got the dies the other day, and I can load all the components I load in my 30/06 into the .308Win. Score.

Harry Callahan

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I have seen Smaug's "clinic" on reloading and actually saved them in one of my folders, but seeing it done and actually doing it are 2 different things. I'm kind of a safety freak when it comes to firearms and feel it's absolutely incumbent upon me, for my health and those around me, to make sure nobody gets hurt and I wouldn't be at that comfort level until I sat down with an experienced reloader and learned the proper way to do it. I have paged through "The ABCs of Reloading" for over a year and have a good idea of what's involved so I'm getting closer as far as confidence is concerned. Would all of you agree that I should plan on spending about 1K to get started(with all/most of the bells and whistles)? I'm thinking about a Dillon 550 or 650.

DEDON45

Oh, and while there may be fewer of us in Chicagoland, check around (maybe at the local range, online, etc.) to see if you can find a buddy or mentor around that reloads that can help show you the ropes; when I got back into doing the reloading thing 7 months ago, my buddy (who lives only about 15 minutes away now) and I put our heads together when we both had to re-learn a few things we'd forgotten over the years...

I've tried to pay it forward, as I've had a couple of somewhat casual acquantances show interest in reloading themselves, and I have had them over to the house to see how my progressive, and how my single stage, reloading processes work... I've even had them make a few rounds on the progressive (ammo that I shoot, and I am over their shoulder during that process), showing them how to adjust the powder measure, etc... a 1 hour brief if you will (can't learn it all in 1 hour, of course, but I show them how it's not rocket science, and enforce how much attention must be paid to be safe). I know of at least 1 guy that has made the leap afterwards... most gun folks are friendly and will help you out if they can. If you lived here, or nearby, you'd certainly be welcome.

DEDON45

Harry, The Dillon machines are good equipment... if you are very careful, one can learn to reload on a progressive (the 650)... the 550 is a manual, turret style press. I still would recommend to anyone that they start with a turret or single stage press, but it's possible to learn on a faster machine.

If you are going to start with a Progressive... seriously consider the Hornady LnL AP... I've tried the Dillon, and it's great, but I think the Hornady is a better value overall... and you'll have more money left over for "extras" and reloading components. I did all my research last year, and I concluded that the Hornady was for me... 1000's of rounds later, I can say I'm not dissapointed. Check out the Youtube videos of the Hornady in action, and the Dillon... and if you can get your hands on them in person, check them out up close too.

Either the Hornady or Dillon will serve you well.

sserdlihc

I started about 10 years ago or so. My father-in-law got me started. I watched and helped him.

When it was time to reload my own, I started out by reading 2 or three good manuals...made some notes...then started out with 9mm, using a min charge.

Don't be afraid...but have respect for what you are doing.

benzuncle

Harry C, I bought a Sig Sauer P220 Compact last December after shooting a couple different Sig P220's. I fell in love with the "shove" of a 45acp. Last Christmas, my wife put a gun magazine in my Christmas stocking and there was an article about reloading. That did it. I got online, lurked up the butt (afraid to ask silly questions and being told to read the stickys first, etc.), decided on a single-stage press, changed my mind, decided on a Dillon Square Deal, no wait, a 550, oops, that Lee stuff looks pretty inviting and not so pricey. All of that went through my head. Back and forth, pro and con. On and on. When all was said and done, I ended up purchasing a Lee Classic Turret Press to load my 45's on. When I tallied up everything I needed to really get started (not just the press, but everything including a bench and light, tumbler, calipers, scale, bullet puller, etc; you know, all the little things one needs to reload) I spent $430. Since that time, the only additional money I have spent is for another turret and a set of Lee carbide 380 dies and factory crimp die ($34 total). Oh, and a digital scale which told me the Lee beam scale is accurate to within 1/10th of a grain as advertised. So my grand total, other than loading supplies is $500. I have since loaded approximately 3900 rounds of 45acp and 1000 380's. I'm way impressed with the quality I got for the money invested. My rounds are accurate and go bang every time. This has quickly become a 2nd hobby. This is a safe hobby if you like to concentrate. I visually check every single casing to make sure it has been charged with powder and only charged once. If you look at CrustyFN's Lee, you will see he has added a light for just that purpose. My overhead fluorescent works for me, but the visual check is paramount. BTW: the money I saved by chosing the Lee Press bought me another 45acp firearm! Good Luck to you. It isn't as difficult as you might imagine, and there's plenty of help out here for whichever brand, make and model reloader you decide is right for you. Please keep us aprised.

DEDON45

Bezuncle reminded of something with his post; if you do go progressive, definitely invest in a Powder Cop or Lockout Die; Hornady and RCBS make one (I have the Hornady die, but am considering getting an RCBS lockout die as it locks the press up in the event there is an error in the powder charge), and I think Dillon has their own as well. I do still peek in each and every case, even after the powder cop indicates the powder charge is within specs... never had a problem with powder being wrong yet, but it's important enough to take extra precautions, and in the grand scheme of things, the extra die is inexpensive.

Another hint for you; if you always use powder that nearly fills the case when at max charge levels (normally the ones that show better performance in the reloading manual), it's impossible to double charge a round, the powder runs over the top, or is drastically larger in volume, and would make a big mess, something you would notice. In .45ACP, I use HS-6, for example, as opposed to Bullseye, which fills so little of the case it's hard to tell at a glance if the thing is double charged or not.

BigJimP

I started reloading 40+ yrs ago / under the guidance of my grandfather - using an RCBS rockchucker on pistols and rifle cartridges. Got into shotgun reloading about 10 years later - and into MEC loaders.

About 5 years ago, I got back into metallic - and went with a Dillon 650 and its done everything I need it to do. 550 is a good press - but it lacks an option for the "powder check" station - which to me is a big plus and I initiate the grandkids into reloading / just because of the additional safety factor it gives me on preventing a squib or double charge.

Your idea of a mentor is good / I do mentor in my area, to guys I know, not to the general public - and I think you'll find someone to give you a hand. But I must say that Dillon is very good in terms of helping you out / having people to talk to, even on Sat's in their shop.

I also help local guys with shotshell loaders - and I still use MEC - although I upgraded to the MEC 9000HN hydraulic series.

I think you can do it without a mentor / but there are a lot of guys out there that may not share your careful nature / so you have to take what they tell you with a grain of salt too.

dakota223

just starting now i got a lee turret press and a few sets of lee dies ive gotten the prepping and priming down now i just have to get to charging gonna take tuesday night to do so got a gunshow tommorrow to find some more bullets looking for 124 frn hollowpoints as cheap as i can get them. Bad thing for reloading in ohio availability sucks if you dont order in. I had to go with titegroup so i dont have to pay hazmat. Im hoping that .3 difference in the loads dont get me as a beginner. That powder must have a high pressure and hot burn to make the difference between minimum and max only .3l.