How did you guys learn to shoot?

Camaro81

I'm new to guns. Noone in my family or any friends are really interested in them. I should be getting my Pistol Permit within the next few weeks(may or may not be restricted-who knows). I'm just curious how you guys learned how to shoot? Should I invest in taking a class or getting an instructor? Does anyone have any links to get me the basics?

I'm currently in college in NY and am extremely interested in going into law enforcement eventually so I want to learn the 100% correct way to shoot a pistol now so I don't have to re-learn in the academy and shake off any bad habits. Any help is appreciated!

Shorts

Get into an instruction class if you can. Go down to local gun shops/ranges and ask the shops guys there if any classes are available or if they have the # for a local LEO or shooting instructor. That should get you going in the right direction.

I learned to shoot from my dad. He always had rifles around the house. I was never interested in shooting my own gun until I was 14, which my dad got me a BB gun. From there I progressed. We eventually started hunting since now dad a hunting buddy to go with :D

Last edited:

Handy

I started with a Ruger .22 and shot it every which way - slow fire, quick plinking, bench rested - always at decent ranges (15 to 50 yards). Then I did the same thing with a centerfire until the gun offered no surprises and joined an IDPA club. IDPA is not perfect, but it will teach you to shoot and handle a gun in a combat type environment under stress.

seb5

I almost feel like I was born with a hand gun in my hands. I started with a Ruger .22 at 7, went to 1911 at 12, and from there everything else. I shot IPSC as a 20ish guy in CA. and went into law enforcement at 26. That was almost a step backwards until I got into training and SWAT. Practice, train, get instruction, reinforce good habits, try to eliminate bad ones, talk to others, read, be a sponge and soak up everything you can. It's a lifelong pursuit.

Ozzieman

The only thing that I would add to what "shorts" said

Is to talk to some of the local poliece officers, and tell them what your planing to do with your life and get there suggestions.
The only problem with guns shop traning is that some (not all) are ego trips trying to show off and traing to sell you a gun. Those can be there first and only output.
I have worked in gun shops for 25 years and the city that I live in we have had two gun shops with ranges. And one of them is known for there tatics of teaching people.
So talk to officers and if you have ranges, talk to people who shot there first before talking to the shop staff. you can get some straight talk from shooters, a lot straighter than shop owners.

38splfan

On the Farm.

Dad tought me on the farm with a Norinco ATD .22 (copy of a Browning).

Went out behind the barn, had an irrigation dike that served well for a backstop, and set up an army standard small bore bullseye at about 30 feet.
After that, we worked up to pop cans, bottles, etc.

I will probably teach my son the same way, as it is a tradition of sorts in my family. Probably use the same gun, too.

That being said, for handgunning, especially defensive handgunning, I would highly recommend a training course. At the very least an NRA certified safety course. Also, look into some of the practical courses. If it is within your budget, check out some schools like Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, etc.

Also, check with your local Sheriff's Department or Police Dept. and see if they offer training/safety courses.

capbuster

JUst a suggestion but this is pretty much how I started and it has stayed with me. Get yourself a good .22 rimfire semi auto pistol and a place to shoot at 25 yd bullseyes targets. Ammo is cheap and your .22 pistol will teach you alot. Acquire a good text on bulleyes shooting. Bullseye shooters have a forum and I think they have a copy of the U.S. army's pistol marksmanship instructions at this forum.study this information and apply this to your practice sessions.Start with the basic one handed shooting format. This will teach you the basics and you can later move to two handed shooting. Dont forget to practice with you left as you progress. You may need to use it sometime and besides you will make you a more accomplished pistolero.

PaleRyder

I took the basic 10 hour NRA course at a local gun range, got a membership there and starting practicing twice a week.

I started out when I was two sitting in my dads lap and him holding up a ruger mk1 22 and letting us shoot. Then as we got older the guns got bigger. My dad and I taught my kids to shoot at a young age.

Tim R

Cam, you would be better off the learn at the Academy......no bad habits to unlearn. I know that isn't quite what you wanted to hear. If you can't wait, then find an instuctor to teach you a proper grip, sight alingment and trigger control.

Or if that won't work get a 1911 and start shooting Bullseye.

Handy

Cam, you would be better off the learn at the Academy......no bad habits to unlearn.
I have to disagree with this. If you keep an open mind, I think it is much easier to correct a bad habit than learn how to shoot from scratch. If you are hitting targets with decent accuracy, you don't have 75% of the bad habits you'll see at the academy. Fix the small stuff and you're ahead of the game.

I did Navy flight school without any previous flight training. I would have rather "unlearned" flying a Cessna.

SnWnMe

To reply here, I have to presume that I already KNOW how to shoot. Still learning. I watch folks at the range, I read up online and printed matter and I apply.

omegapd

Like others here, I was 20 years old and the first time I ever picked up a handgun was in the police academy. Qualified with an old S&W Victory Model (with U.S. Navy stampings) .38 and been a wheel gunner ever since.
Here's an idea that may work for you- start with a double action revolver like I did. I think it's a little harder to learn with, but once you get good with it, shooting the issued Glocks (or whatever) would probably go smoother.

PsychoSword

Restricted Pistol Permit? What is that some Mass. thing?

Shooting is not rocket science, you just gotta practice alot. I haven't been shooting as much lately, but I was at the range the other day and did pretty good with a model 10 and MK9. It's something that you don't lose, kind of like riding a bike.

Dusty Miller

When I was a kid my father always had guns. ONCE in eighteen years I was allowed to shoot one of his guns. So, when I got to the point that I could afford the kind of guns I wanted, it was just a matter of doing some reading and going to the range as often as I could to practice the technigues I'd read about. Basically I'm self-taught, with some input via the printed page from people who know how to go about it.

Blue Heeler

It's an apprenticeship. If you can find a trainer who is sound on the basics then take the easy route and learn from him. In the long run it will save a lot of time and you'll avoid some nasty habits (probably). Look at it like this, if someone gave you a pair of skis, would you rush off to a mountain,try them out and then dash your brains out on a rock because you had no idea what you were doing?

Para Bellum

very well :D

depends on what you want. If its sport: go to the next IPSC-Club and get trainer lessons.

if it's defense: try to get in touch with police trainers and make friends with a good one. They tend to be very nice guys and good buddies.

Jack Malloy

You can learn fastest by going to some place and taking a class from an instructor. Usually CCW permit instructors teach basic firearms safety and marksmanship classes...

Or you can do what I did and read everything you can get your hands on about shooting.
I guess technically, I taught myself, with a little help from Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, etc....

chris in va

I simply bought a Ruger .22, read up on various safety issues and hit the local outdoor range.

Then I took a CCW basic class and found out a couple things I was doing wrong...but nothing too serious. Now it's time for more training.