How did I do?

Big Yac

I just bought a gun from a coworker. The gun is a Ruger GP-100. Its in beautiful shape, he says he only fired one cylinder of .357 loads through it and has stored it since. The gun is only a few years old. Everything is nice and tight, no scratches or anything. I paid $350 for it. Is that good?

Big Yac

6" barrel. The guy is 74 now, got it for deer hunting a few years ago but said he figured if he couldnt get one with a shotgun the revolver wouldnt help him. Again, he only fired one cylinder of 357s through it and thats all. Hes selling it cause he wants to get a smaller revolver for CCW. I'm excited. He even through in the original grey hard plastic Ruger case, a holster, and a box of ammo.

Yankee Doodle

Big Yac
Every time I read one of the posting like yours, I remember what my Dad told me years ago. I'm not trying to be a wisea++, but I thought you might appreciate it.
He always said that "As long as the seller and the buyer are both happy, it is a good deal" He took the money, he's happy. You happy?
Y.D.

hpg

:eek: Do you want your money back? If so, I'll take if off your hands.:D hpg
pics man, we need pics...............

thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif

Last edited:

Gary Conner

He even through in the original grey hard plastic Ruger case, a holster, and a box of ammo.

Well here is one tip. If the box of ammo says it contains fifty rounds, and it has 44 rounds left, that would bolster his story of only shooting a cylinder of rounds in it.

If the box is full, then maybe he might have fudged a little?

But at the price you paid, he coulda ran three hundred rounds out of it and it would still be a heck of a deal, in my humble opinion.

Big Yac

yes I am extremely happy with the gun. Its stainless by the way and looks sweet. With the size and weight of the gun its hard to imagine that I'm actually downsizing from a SRH in .454 w/ 9.5" barrel:)
I've never shot a .357 magnum but I'm over the flu and going to get some ammo this weekend, nothing fancy, I cant reload since my reloader is still at home and I moved...so what would be good ammo to get to play with my new toy that I will eventually reload? Maybe some 125gr Winchester ammo? Owning a 454 Casull and S&W 500 recoil isnt a factor so any suggested ammo would be appreciated.

JohnKSa

Administrator
If you can find some, the Fiocchi 142gr stuff shoots well in my GP100's.

The price? I paid exactly the same price for my 6" stainless and felt pretty good about it so I'd say you done good. ;)

azredhawk44

My Ruger sp101 3" shoots dead-nuts POI=POA with 158gr loads. It's a bit low with 125's and such.

I would guess that Ruger would design their full sized revolvers for the heavier, denser bullets as well. Go for 158's if you are only shooting one weight bullet.

azredhawk44

Ben Shephard: How are they easier on the forcing cone? I've never heard of heavier bullets being easier on a forcing cone... I've never even thought about it.

Edjumacate me, please.

Ben Shepherd

They impact the forcing cone at a lower velocity than lighter slugs. Less wear and tear. Make sense?

Not really an issue with this particular gun, but helps with lifespan for sure. In a gp100 if you shoot standard 357 mag stuff with a 158 lead slug, it'll most likely be around and ticking like a clock for a great grandson.

Daves-got-guns

sounds good, stainless usually runs u for more and i would be totally for taking that gun out deer hunting! i think the .357 is one of the top 5 calibers in the world, but thats me. Good buy it reminds me of a baby eagle 9mm we got a few years ago in the same price range that had maybe 100 rounds thru it if that.