How did I do for $100???

shooter_john

Today I happened into a local pawn shop just to kill some time, and I saw what I thought was a 1903 Springfield (sporterized... quite poorly unfornately) on the rack. I asked the gentleman behind the counter to look at it and he replied with "that ain't a '03, that just an old 7mm Mauser." So I said well I want to look at it anyway while thinking that I at least have a enough sense to know a Springfield when I see one. So he handed me the rifle and right below where it said "7mm Mauser Rifle" on the tag was the price of $119. I offered $100, and off we went, me with my "7mm Mauser" 1903 Springfield .30 and him with a hundred bucks!

The stock is very poorly sporterized, but the rings look straight. Unfortunately the Weaver K4 is badly beaten as I'd like to keep it, but it will probably have to go. I haven't really even checked out the bore, but I did find a stamp on the barrel... The stamp consists of a "R.A." over the flaming bomb, over 7-44. Now this is where I get a little ignorant. A quick google search advised me that at least the barrel was made in the Raritan Arsenal in NJ circa July of 44. I know the flaming bomb is also a desirable proof, but I really don't know why so.

So I leave the rest to those of you who know a lot more than me... How did I do for $100?

DSC_0599.jpg

DSC_0606.jpg

DSC_0605.jpg

DSC_0609.jpg

DSC_0604.jpg

shooter_john

I'll throw in another question... I'm going to have to replace the optics to get any real use out of this rifle, and I want to keep a "traditional" look. I'm thinking of maybe a 3-9x40 if not even 1-4ish type scope. I'm not going to have a lot of $$$ to throw at this project, but I'd at least like to come out of it with a good hunting rifle. With that in mind I'm leaning towards a Redfield or Nikon Bushmaster. What do you guys think?

I'd also like to replace the stock... Maybe a Boyd's sporter or even a repro military stock. Does anyone have recommendations on that front?

jrothWA

WHat is the SN of the 03?

Reason asking is the LARGE gas port (aka "Hatcher hole") that indicate to me it MAYBE a low numbered 03. Check a Dixie Gunworks catalog, in the back section, they have a listing of the Rock Island Arsenal "RIA" and Sprngfield Armory "SA". "Lo-Number refers to the single heat-treat action that were dropped infavor of the double heat-treat.

I see the barrel is R.A. (Remington Arms) and dated from 1944.

Get a smith to confirm safe to shoot.

kraigwy

What scope is on that rifle now?? What mounts?

Besides the stock, and addition of the scope what other modifications have been made?

This needs to be addressed before you do any more modifications. You might have more of a rifle then you think.

Go to this sight, post your pictures and you can find out a bit more.

The CMP has started a Vintage Sniper Rifle Program which has been jacking the price of these rifles sky high. You may find that if you put on another stock (obtained from CMP) you may find you have more of a rifle then you think. Hard to tell from the pictures but will worth looking into.

shooter_john

JrothWA... Thank you for the head's up. I checked my rifle after reading your message and my serial number is 5,04x,xxx, which should put me into the safe range according to the little amount of research that I did. I will certainly do some more checking.

Kraigwy... Thanks for your input! The scope is an old Weaver K4, with post reticle, and the rings are Weaver also. Unfortunately the glass seems chipped inside. There are several places around the edge where it looks like water drops inside the scope, but closer inspection reveals that it looks more like chipped glass. You can still see through the scope, but I dont know what kind of shooting could be accomplished with it. The windage and elevation do work however.

The trigger also seems exceptionally light and nice for a milsurp, though it still looks original. But then again I've never pulled the trigger on an '03, so they may just better than the other ones I've tried.

Slamfire

I think you have a Remington 1903A3, assuming the barrel is original to the receiver.

Someone put more money into that rifle than you did. They had to pay for the low scope bolt handle and the drilling and tapping of the receiver.

If it is an A3 receiver, the rifle has almost no value as a military collectable as the receiver has been drilled and tapped and the cost of original wood and metal parts would be high. If you have an A4 receiver it has a lot of value.

But as a sporter, you have a lot of options.

I wish I ran into these bargins, this would be a great basis for a 35 Whelen, a 270, or just leave in 30-06.

shooter_john

The vintage sniper matches sound quite intriguing Kraig, I may look into that a little more seriously.

Jaguar... I appreciate the link for the weaver rebuild. It would néed A LOT of work, but I'll definitely talk to them.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
You can send the Weaver scope to www.ironsightinc.com and they will rebuild it for you. The cost is around $250 but you retain the old look of the Weaver. Avery nice find, will be a great shooter.
That would be my suggestion too.

Only I would call these people first.

W.S.R.S.
1121 Larry Mahan Dr.
Suite B
El Paso, TX 79925
(915) 593-1005

oneoldsap

Love those old warhorses

If you want to stay with a 60s style Scope you can buy another Weaver for about half the rebuild price . Or you can find an old Leupold M7 and if it's bad , Leupold will rebuild it for you free of charge ! I've done this several times , in fact the Sporterized 03-A3 that I have wears a Leupold M7 that I bought used online (GunBroker) for $100.00 . It cost me $9.00 to ship it to them and 10 days later I got it back as new FOC . You did get a fair deal on that gun , but I did much better on mine ! It's an 03-A3 in a Bishop Stock with 03 bottom metal , a Beuler low swing safety and an after market trigger . The barrel has been shortened to 22" and turned down just a tad . All nicely blued and with Weaver Pivot mounts for $150.00 . I had to do the Glass bedding myself and install a trigger shoe . Haven't shot it yet but if I don't keep it I will make Money on it !

Eagle0711

Nice find. I traded for two a couple of years back when prices and demand was higher.

Just got around to shooting them. One shot for the first time at 25 yards was horrible and will need the barrel floated and possibly re-crowned. The other shot consistsnt 3/4" groups at 100 yards with the first load that I tried. Most would say that the barrel is worn out, but a lot of new high dollar rifles won't do that well.

I really like playing around with these old gun. I wish you well with your project. I think that you will enjoy it, and the accuracy will probably suprise you

Good Luck, Eagle

PetahW

FWIW, there's NO question but that you definitely have a 1903A3 there - witness the male dovetail atop the rear receiver bridge, originally used to mount the military-issue receiver peep sight.

The Raritan Arsenal rebarreled it in 1944, most likely while refurbishing issue battle weapons - excellent.

It also has the stamped bottom metal common the A3's, ILO the 1903's milled steel bottom metal.

The scope "could" be refinished, if you like it; and the sporterized scant-stock is easily replaced with a semi-finished Classic Sporter stock.

I like it - Congrats !

Loader9

SJ, you have an original Remington Arms 1903A3 as manufactured in July 1944 with the exception of the stock work and scope. The action and barrel are original. The action was part of the end of the Remington contract for the Springfield rifles. Your rifle most likely was never issued as the war was over for the 03 rifles by the time it hit the arsenals.The Garand and Carbines were the rifle issued late in the war along with a few Thompsons and Model 97s. After the war, these rifles were put in mothballs and later sold to generate money for the Gov't. I still have a bunch of the old ads where you could buy an unissued, new 1903A3 for $19.95 shipped to your door. Headspace outstanding, it should be fabulous shooter. The scope is probably from the 1950's and I would recommend sending to WSRS in El Paso if you want to keep the ol shooter period correct. The standard issue late in the war production was a 2 groove barrel. It's really the same barrel as the 4 groove but they cut production time down by eliminating 2 of the grooves. Yours might be sporting a 4 groove as your rifle was made from left over parts as indicated by the serial number. There was no difference in accuracy between the two from testing by the Feds. That pretty much mirrors my experience with the 2 and 4 groove barrels as well. It is not an 03A4 action however as production of the A4 had stopped the month previous. Good luck with the rifle- you got a hellva deal.

shooter_john

Thanks for all of the comments and insights guys. I've got get some rounds loaded and get her to the range. I typically don't load my '06s really hot anyway, but do i need to take any precautions with this rifle?

I may indeed get the scope refurbished, I really like it, and as mentioned it keeps the rifle more "correct".