how did 94 ban affect shotguns

BOB89

Retired Screen Name
How did the 94 ban affect shotguns. What features are availabe pre/post ban. I dont know much about shotguns but am thinking of getting one.

Daren Thompson

Sell U my pre-ban Mossberg 590
Just kidding 94 ban only as best of my knowledge affected semi-auto's mag capacity was limited to 5 rounds I think, but that number might not be correct
Later
Daren

fal308

Staff Alumnus
Daren is correct about pumps not being affected, by federal laws. State/local may have variances (witness the freedom-loving peoples of the PRK and elsewhere). Semi-autos are affected by mainly the furniture; pistol-grips, bayonet lugs and folding stocks for the most part. I'm not overly sure about the import parts count but I think it's the same criteria as the "assault weapon"'s.
Many shotguns can be legislated out of legality by reclassifying them as a destructive device (USAS 12, Street Sweeper, et.al).

pate

It prohibits:
a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of-
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine
Pumps would only be affected by being prevented from having mag capacities >10. However, a pump capable of using a mag tube and a detachable mag could exceed 10+1. Now if Benelli would just build a stock with a little tube connecting the bottom of the pistol-grip to the buttstock - thumbhole-stocked, legal 7+1 semi-auto shotgun. You can find the text of the law here: broadway.vera.org/pub/crimebill/cbcont.html