How dead is the 6mm Remington?

Dogger

Didn't see it chambered in anything on the Remington homepage. Saw lots of .243 Winchester, though. I have heard that serious reloaders prefer the 6mm to the .243. Curious to know what factory rifles the 6mm is still chambered in. Thanks.

orsogato

Dont know about what is still chambered for it. Maybe Rem 700. I can tell you that an old Rem M700 BDL Varmint Heavy Barrel in 6mm Rem w/ an old Weaver 4-12x scope is the most accurate gun in my stable.

It is a tack driver I can sometimes get a bunch of rounds damn near touching at 200 yards.

I use the 85 grain Sierra BTHP bullets. They are sweet.

I wanted to get rid of it because the cal is such an oddball, but it shoots way way sweet. I am sure the local Groundhogs wish I would have get rid of it!!

Great Cal. Major Drawback is it is uncommon. Get a lot of brass and load your own up.

Nosler makes a 70 grain bullet that really screams in the 6mm. Hogs practically explode with them.

Orso

Badger Arms

I doubt any are. Why would anybody chamber a rifle in 6mm Rem? It's virtually identical to the more common .243. Having owned both, as any good 788 collector will, I can say that neither holds anything above the other in performance. The .243 is nice because I can use readily available .308 to make the cases... and do. I don't use 6mm in general because it's sandwiched between .22-250 and 308. I don't see a need here, especially with the volume of calibers wedged in there such as the 220 Swift, .243, 6mm remington, 257 roberts, 260 Remington, 6.5 sweede, 7mm-08, 7x57 Mauser, etc. All good calibers and I own a few. When I go to the field, I don't need an inbetween caliber.

[This message has been edited by badgerarms (edited July 16, 2000).]