How common were full-autos before the ban?

Husqvarna

How common were full-autos before the ban?

Did hobbyists have them like you have semi-autos today? were they the same price? Affordable for the common guy?

Was it just to exercise your rights or for fun? Collecting?

was there a scene for competition?

Are "all" the pre-ban guns still around or did a mass destruction take place?

Microgunner

When full auto firearms were offered to the general US public with little restriction they were still uncommon due to their high price tags.
Tommy guns & BARs have always been pricey.

BPowderkeg

from my limited experience, those who chose to pay the $200.00 tax they were fairly common, most of us cheapskates refused to or could not afford the extra $200.00 for the tax stamp. an AR-15 cost $235.00 as for price, they were about $300.00 more than an AR-15, back around 1972 i was a partner in a gun shop in Calif. i could have bought M16's wholesale for around $400.00. i made the huge mistake of NOT buying one or several, today a "transferable" M16 will cost you anywhere from $15,000.00 to $25,000.00 :eek: :eek:

Are "all" the pre-ban guns still around...
yes, most are, some folks who owned them were afraid to keep them so they turned them over to the local "cop shop" others started selling them and the asking price was about what they paid for them, then around 1996-97, the price started climbing rapidly, around 2002-04 an AR-15 that originally sold for $250.00 to $350.00 were selling for $1600.00 to $2500.00 !!

between 1994 to 1998 i picked up a "few" at $400.00 to $600.00 and sold them all except for a "couple" of NIB to almost NIB for the ridiculous sum of $1800.00 to $2400.00...., YES.., i was a capitalist :eek: during that time.

i hope my reply has answered your questions.

Webleymkv

It depends on which "ban" you're referring to. If you're talking about the NFA, they were fairly uncommon before it because man-portable full-autos were still in their infancy and were very expensive. Other than belt-fed heavy machine guns like Maxim, Vickers, Hotchkiss, and Brownings, the only full autos widely available in the U.S. prior to 1934 were the Thompson Submachinegun and BAR which were both expensive. While $200 doesn't seem like all that much today, it was a lot of money in the 1930's (particularly when it's tacked on top of the price of an already expensive gun) and thus made legal full-auto unobtainable to all but the extremely wealthy at the time (there were very few wealthy people in the 1930's). The NFA, in effect, "killed" widespread civilian ownership of full-auto "in the crib".

Really, the Hughes Amendment in 1986 accomplished much the same thing. By closing the NFA registry, the Hughes Amendment forever limited the supply of legal full auto firearms. While firearms are durable goods, they don't last forever particularly when large volumes of ammunition are shot as is often the case with a full-auto. The Hughes Amendment limited, and over time, shrunk the supply of legal full-autos but did nothing to the demand, thus the prices have sky rocketed. To get an idea of what prices would be like without the Hughes Amendment, simply look at the prices of NFA weapons which were unaffected by it such as suppressed firearms, short-barrel-rifles, and short-barrel-shotguns. While these are still more expensive than comparable non-NFA weapons, they are still much, much cheaper than a transferrable machinegun (non-full-auto NFA weapons usually run $1,000-2,000 in my area while transferrable machineguns usually run $10,000 and up).

DaleA

A fairly recent book about the 'Tommy Gun' mentioned over and over that the price of a new Thompson when they came out was about the same as a new Model T Ford automobile.

BlueTrain

The Sears, Roebuck catalog of military equipment, which is undated, but is probably from 1917 or 1918, lists for sale the Colt machine gun (the potato digger) in .30-06 for $865 plus shipping (180 lbs shipping weight). It says machine guns are used largely by police organizations, home guards and municipalities in case of riots. It doesn't mention any restrictions on purchase, however. Cartridges were $7.50 per hundred. For comparison, the same catalog lists both the Police Positive Special revolver and the .32 automatic pistol for $16.50. In today's money, the machine gun might go for $25,000 (plus shipping) if all the rules were the same.

Sort of surprising the old Colt machine gun was still available that late.

Mello2u

At the inception of WWI the U.S. Army had very few fully automatic weapons.
After WWI it is estimated that soldiers brought back to the U.S. from the war between 1,000,000 and 2,000,000 war souvenirs. Machine guns were relatively new and soldiers grabbed what they could and brought them home. An unknown number of Maxims and Schwarloses were stuffed into bags and carried home.

The population was 103,000,000 in 1918.

Last edited:

BlueTrain

While there is no doubt that many war souveniers were brought home, a million firearms sounds a little high, if you're only speaking of Americans. Supposedly there were only a million US soldiers in France at the end of the war and only half of them were on the front line (the rest were in Paris, I assume). Do you thing they were all lucky enough to bring back one or two firearms each? But as you say, "unknown numbers."

jonnyc

I'm not sure what the actual question is here, but when people talk about "Pre-Ban" and "Post-Ban", they are usually talking about the Clinton "Assault Weapons Ban" of 1994. That legislation had absolutely nothing to do with automatic weapons. The Clinton ban outlawed the production, import, or sale of certain weapons and parts made after the enacting date, but did not really have any effect on items produced before the ban.
In effect, we ended up with one of the dumbest, most divisive, ineffectual laws in the annals of US history. The law had no effect on crime, other than to possibly turn a few law-abiding US citizens into criminals.

BlueTrain

Thompsons were advertised for civilians at one time, calling them an "anti-bandit" weapon. Couldn't tell you how many got sold that way.

Speaking again of the old Colt machine gun, Louis Tiffany, the jeweler, provided two of them to the army during the Spanish American war. They were for some reason chambered in 7mm Mauser, so they were able to use captured enemy ammunition.

1918 Average National Salary
$1144.00

Average Cost of a Home
$4,821.00

Population of the U.S.
106,021,537[6]

Price of an Automobile
$500.00

Price of a Postage Stamp
$.03

Price of a Gallon of Milk
$.55