How come you never see FAL's from India?

Jamie Young

I never hear of anyone getting parts from India? I've heard there are some differences between the India FAL's, but I've never seen one. Are they just not in circulation? Or are they just total "Junk"?

DaveH

Indian FAL parts kits have been available and individual parts are offered for sale on a regular basis.
Quality is generally considered poor and building a complete example can be difficult. The Indians used a mixture of inch, metric and unique parts to manufacture their rifle. The story I have read is that they reverse engineered the FAL and never licensed it from FN.
If you run a search on the FAL Files board, you can find more information.

Destructo6

I don't think India gets rid of any weapons. I've seen Ishapore Enfields in the hands of police and such over there.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Going by some recent pictures, the Indian Army is still using their FALs, so any kits might be from reject guns.

Jim

DaveH

The wood is a good example: buttstock is metric pattern, grip is inch pattern and handguards are "homemade".
If you like wood other inch pattern weapons, like some Australian versions, also used it.
As for still being in use, I have also seen recent pictures of police and guards with Enfield style bolt actions. Supply must be a real interesting situation in India.

Snowdog

How can you rip-off Coke? Didn't Sam Walton do that too? :p

Destructo6 makes a valid point. Considering how economically atrophied India is and due to its constant quarrel with Pakistan over the equally piss-poor land of Kashmir, I don't think they have a viable surplus of anything other than rats, grenade pins and emaciated sacred bovine in that vast land of Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and whatever other elephant-headed deities they've got.

( :eek: Oooooooh, got to remember... tolerance of religious diversity... tolerance of religious diversity... Hey look, it takes time and I'm working on it!)

Last edited:

MuzzleBlast

Ganesh. He is the elephant-headed one. His old man accidently cut his head off when he was a baby, so he got an elephant's head to replace it with. Ganesh is the god that removes obstacles. Very positive and easygoing.

kindlyoldcoach

I have one. It was given to me. It is the worst piece of junk I've ever handled. My father's Cooey .22 seems like a David Miller custom rifle in comparison.

I'm afraid to run a cleaning rod through it, let alone chamber a round.

'coach

Steve Smith

"Ganesh. He is the elephant-headed one. His old man accidently cut his head off when he was a baby, so he got an elephant's head to replace it with. "

That explains a lot of things about India.

Snowdog

Thanks MuzzleBlast... I guess that's the one.
The remover of obstacles? I guess he's still working on doing something about that head of his, huh. :)

BRS

India does sell off older surplus weapons, look at the flood of Enfields marked ERI, GRI, and RFI on the side of the socket.
I've got two Ishapore Enfields in .308 and one in .303. The Enfields being sold by Springfield sporters that I've seen in their showroom were FTR'd at Ishapore. The telltale is a flathead wood screw in the stock under the chamber area screwed in from left to right, and slightly countersunk.

Also, since they have some time ago adopted a Galil knock-off as their MBR, some demilled Indian FAL clones have found their way here in the form of parts kits. I would avoid them, myself because of the lack of direct interchangeability. They probably still have lots of the FALs in use in reserve and non-front-line units.

BRS