How "Clean" does powder need to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5whiskey

Ok, so I tried to search this topic before starting a new thread and couldn't find anything so here we go...

So I decided to use a Lee autodisk powder measure for the powder charges in my current run of .223. The powder I'm using is Western Powder's X-terminator... which is a very small grained ball powder and not at all friendly with the autodisk. I still weighed every charge (it'll throw +- .5 grains, which isn't good. It averages about +.2 grains and is pretty consistent though). Long story short, the powder leaked around the seams of the autodisk and got all over my reloading table. Okay guys, I know this isn't the smartest thing I've ever done (and continued to do even after I noticed it), but don't slap my wrist too hard.

I reload in my small shed and my reloading table is also my small engine repair/gun cleaning/every other chore or project I have table. I do try to clean it between one activity and another, but it's a rather course plywood and it doesn't clean well unless I vacuum it. Long story short, I cleaned up the powder and have safely discarded it. I was afraid to use it for anything as I could see some specks of dust and other foreign material in it. I was amazed at how much I spilled though. Nearly 120 grains total. So... in the grand scheme of things it's enough powder for about 6 rounds. It's not gonna break me and I would much rather be safe than sorry. BUT... I started wondering. Has anyone else in this situation introduced a small amount of foreign material into a powder and continued to use it with success (i.e. safety)?

flashhole

A hand-loaded round is a potential face grenade.

Never have I seen a load recipe that calls for contaminants.

Common sense dictates you use clean powder.

Clean your work area before you start reloading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shootest

I would not load any powder that has even the smallest amount of debris in it. You don’t know what it might do.
I don’t think it is proper to call others names just because a question is asked. Even if that question sounds silly to you. Is that not what these forums are for? We all had to learn sometime.

lee n. field

So I decided to use a Lee autodisk powder measure for the powder charges in my current run of .223. The powder I'm using is Western Powder's X-terminator... which is a very small grained ball powder and not at all friendly with the autodisk.

Any reason you're using the Autodisk for that? Are you using this on a turret press?

I think I'd be using a different powder measure, if you know you have problems with this powder in the Autodisk.

5whiskey

To everyone else... I was given an auto-disk. I do have a turret press, but I'm manually throwing the powder charge by hand with the autodisk. I thought that this would be quicker than using a dipper. I'm still measuring with a scale every time because it's not accurate enough. After today I have found that I would rather take the extra time and use a dipper.

I'm aware... big boy sport. I get it. Sorry. I won't ask another question here amongst the elite... many of whom I've been shooting longer than :mad:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I do NOT give prizes for Snark of the Day, nor are insults and personal attacks conducive to long tenure at this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.