How can you know the used gun you are buying is not

B9mmHP

a stolen gun?

A member of TFL ask a question, just recently if $850 was a good price for a Car15 pre-ban. I think it was a Colt?
Most said, go for it, great deal. They go for $1100+. Well I am also considering buying a pre-ban from an individual not a dealer.

How do you know it is not stolen when bought from a gun dealer, pawn shop or an individual?

When a gun dealer or pawn shop buys a used gun does he/she run some kind of check? I dont think a pawn shop even takes a sellers name, just gives him a pawn ticket if not bought outright.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Pawn shops do take the customer's name and address for their own protection. In some states, gun dealers and pawn shops are required to check stolen property lists from the police for any serial numbered item, either on taking an item in or before selling it. Some do this even when not required to do so.

Dealers have to have a name and address and ID of the seller when they buy from an individual, and in some states, the police check also involves a stolen gun check (it does in Maryland).

Even that small protection is not available when buying from an individual. It would be best if you don't buy from or sell to anyone you don't know when a gun is involved.

If you don't know the person, demand ID. Whether buying or selling, an exchange of ID is necessary. What I have done in the past is to obtain some 4473's from a gun dealer and ask the buyer to fill one out as well as show ID. If they do so, I have a record; if they won't, I don't sell. I had one guy take off running as soon as I took out the yellow form. I think I am glad I didn't sell anything to him.

The gun you buy might have been stolen or, worse, used in a crime, so you could end up with a gun that matches some battered and bloody bullets in the police lab. If you, for some reason, are found with the gun, things may become very awkward. "I bought it from a sort of tall guy with dark hair" does not do much to allay suspicion.

Of course, I am assuming that in your state sales between individuals are legal. If not, that would be another problem you could have. Police have set up "scams" to sell guns illegally then arrest the buyer.

Jim

Justin

There's a web page;

http://www.isthisgunstolen.com/

It used to be a web page where you could enter the serial number of a gun to see if it had been reported stolen.

It appears that the site is down for the time being, though.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a gun from someone that I either didn't know, wasn't willing to furnish personal contact info, or didn't seem to be on the up and up.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
They're SUPPOSED to be pretty careful - - -

In Texas, at least, pawnbrokers - - -and some other second-hand dealers- - - must see a valid photo ID--State or U.S. issued, to purchase serial-numbered merchandise. Must see ID, must record information, with the ID numbers. And, most cities of any size have a detail that picks up copies of the pawn tickets and runs the serial numbers on the NCIC and TCIC databases for stolen reports.

From Texas Government Code, Chapter 157
§ 371.157. Pawn Ticket

A pawnbroker, at the time a pawn transaction is entered, shall deliver to the pledgor a pawn ticket or other memorandum that clearly shows:

(1) the name and address of the pawnshop;

(2) the pledgor's name, address, and physical description and a driver's license number, military identification number, identification certificate number, or other official number that can identify the pledgor;

(3) the date of the transaction;

(4) an identification and description of the pledged goods, including serial numbers if reasonably available;
. . . . Federally licensed firearms dealers have their whole set of hoops, as well.

It is not unheard of for thieves to use stolen ID, but pawnbrokers and gun shops have enough hassles anyway, so they are pretty careful about buying stuff.

It is much more worrisome, purchasing something from an unregulated flea market or swap meets, or from classified ads.

Hope this helps - - -
Johnny

MeekAndMild

It helps to know somebody on the police force or a deputy sheriff. They can get your answer within a few minutes. Do it BEFORE you buy the gun, because it will be impounded if its stolen.

vertigo7

Jim Keenan and anyone else interested, download the 4473 form in PDF format from TitleII.com, print on yellow paper, and you're good to go.

Here in FL, FDLE has a web page which will let you check a firearm's serial number to see if is stolen property, but it only covers items reported stolen in Florida.

vertigo7

B9mmHP

Thanks All.
After reading about the AR15 in posts here on TFL i`m not sure I even want one anymore. I will just keep shooting my M14 and my SKS Car that accepts the AK mags and let someone else enjoy the Colt SP1:)
I don`t normaly buy used guns anyway, got burnt twice, my Daisy BB gun shot better than both of them ,thats enough for me.