how can I tell what these Remington barrels are ???

along with the other gun related stuff we inherited from my FIL, 15-20 years ago, was a bunch of shotgun barrels that were up in the rafters of the basement...

the only Remington shotgun I retained was a Remington 1100... I have a buddy that's looking for an 870 barrel for his grandson, so I pulled them out last night, & wiped them down... of coarse they are all marked by brand, & have the choke stamp "full" or "mod" but the Remington barrels are not marked for what model they fit...

both Remington barrels I found have "rings" under the barrels... can I measure these to the back of the barrel, or identify them by the shape of the back of the barrel ( chamber or feed area ) ???

any help would be appreciated...

the Mossberg barrels are marked for the 500... just no model on the Remington barrels??? he had the 1100, & an 870, & a collection of 11-48's... I assume these must fit one of those, & perhaps most likely fit the 11-48's since he had a whole collection of those... both barrels are 12 ga one a 3" vent rib with a full choke, maybe 32" & the other a 2 3/4" non vent rib modified at maybe 30" & both look to have the rings at the same distance from the back of the barrel, & ( at least outwardly to the untrained eye ) appear to be the same at the receiver end...

Last edited:

TomADC

9751968_1.jpg

sorry guys... had some puter problems yesterday...

TOM... thanks for the pics... if the top gun / barrel is an 870... it doesn't look like I'll be able to help out my buddy, as both my barrels have the wider ring style of the bottom gun & barrels...

Jim Watson

You can look for gas ports under the ring, too.
A wide ring like these with ports is an 1100, a wide ring different from the above with ports is an 11-87, a narrow ring with ports is an old 58 or 878.

No ports is a pump.

I'm not much of a shot gunner... didn't even give thought to the difference between the pumps & autos... assume the 870 is a pump??? 1100 I know is an auto... I honestly never looked for the ports on the barrels...

since FIL had a full collection of 11-48's any chance these barrels ( which look like the bottom ones in TOM's photo ) are 11-48 barrels & not for the 1100?? not sure but was thinking the 11-48's were recoil operated autos, not gas??? if that's the case, the presence of ports would tell me the difference... but I assume there are physical differences between the 11-48's & the 1100... more than gas ports???

if they fit the 1100, I may want to keep at least one of them, as the 1100 has a smooth bore slug barrel ( at least it has adjustable rifle sights on it ) in case I wanted to shoot birds...

I do shoot a bit of shotgun, but that is mostly CAS, with my double barrels of which I have 3... always wanted a Ruger over under, just could never scrape up the $$$

Goatwhiskers

The 11/48 is a recoil operated shotgun, like the A-5, as you thought. The barrel will have no gas ports. The wide ring is to house the seal/piston rings to activate the action bars of the 1100. GW

thanks for all the help guys...

from looking at pictures on the www it looks like there is a recoil lug or some sort of nub on the 11-48 barrel back by the chamber, that I don't see on the barrels I have, so I'm going to assume they both are 1100 barrels...

next question... since I am planning on keeping the 1100... ( remember it's currently set up to slug hunt... or perhaps turkey if you'd use sights for turkey hunting??? ) one barrel is a 32-34" vent rib, with a full choke, & the other a 30" plain barrel with a modified choke... curious if I'd really need both barrels???

full choke for ducks or geese... modified for closer upland game & trap or skeet??? or can i really get by with one or the other

Doyle

full choke for ducks or geese

No. You'll likely bulge the barrel. You are required (by law) to use steel (or other non-toxic) shot on waterfowl. You never use more than a modified choke with steel. It doesn't compress when going through a choke like lead does so it can bulge the barrel just behind the choke.

Also, steel shot tends to pattern one choke level tighter than lead does. Lots of waterfowlers (especially those shooting over decoys) use IC chokes.

Doyle

The ideal usage for 30-32" full choke would be handicap trap. For turkey, yes you want a very tight choke but you also want a short barrel that is easily concealed. Having that extra barrel length sticking out will just make it easier for the turkey to see you. For pheasants, I did some pheasant hunting when I lived in Utah and everybody I saw used IC or modified.

There is one thing about 1100 barrels that is very important. You need to know what series it is. There was a discussion just today about this on another firearms forum I'm on. One gunsmith on the forum said that over the years, Remington changed the gas porting and receivers several times - even going from one port to two, then back to a single port with a different size than the original. Mixing a receiver with one port style with a barrel with a different port style makes for bad cycling.

Virginian

All 12 gauge 1100 barrels from 1963 to present will interchange. A RemChoke barre may, repeat may, require the barrel channel in the fore end to be relieved somewhat. The only thing that has changed on thhe receivers is the rollmarking. The new RemChoked Target Contour barrels have larger gas ports, as do the older fixed choke Skeet barrels, and are not recommended for heavy loads.
20 gauge started out on the 12 gauge sized receiver, then the LW series, and from 1978 to present they are all LT. The different series 20 barrels will not interchange.

I did look over both barrels last night... & noted that one of them has a single port, & one of them has 2 ports... I've not had my shotgun apart ( or shot it ) since MRS dad died, so I don't know if it is a single or double port action...

do we know for sure that all receivers will fire either double or single port barrels ???

I'm learning a lot here... thanks again...

Virginian

One port is a Magnum barrel (3" chamber) and will likely not cycle with lighter loads. Does the gun's serial # end in M?
Are you measuring the barrel length from the rear of the tang or the rear of the chamber?
Before someone says their Uncle Billy Bob's 1100 will do such and such, I am telling you the Magnum were designed to shoot 2-3/4" and 3" Magnum loads, and that is all anyone can say with certainty they will cycle. One may run with less, or it may not; they are all individuals.