How can I take care of my turner sling

Lavid2002

I just purchased a turner 50" police tactical black rifle sling for my ar15 I have heard that leather needs to be oiled to prevent cracking and dry rot....can you let me know what I need to do to take care of it. Thanks.

-Dave

P.S. man this thing looks complicated to use....Ive been following online diagrams and after a few minutes of fiddling I think im getting it :p either way tons of marksmen and veteran shooters at the range who can teach me how to use it...I love it when they help me : )
DSCF2358.jpg

Last edited:

Swampghost

Use Mink Oil, good for your boots too.

Just curious, why would you buy something that you don't know how to operate or intimidates you?

Lavid2002

Just curious, why would you buy something that you don't know how to operate or intimidates you?

lol I wouldnt say it "intimidates" me per se. I have shot the range masters 30-40krag with a shooters sling on it, as well as an ar15 with a sling on it. The RO set the sling up on me though so he walked me through it. I liked the stability the sling gave me, also....My first competition is on the 18th and the service rifle shooters highly recommended I get a sling, I have been contemplating it for a while and I figured I would get one : ) What would it hurt

Edit:As for the operation thing....I bought it BECAUSE I dont know how to operate it. Im 18 years old and I want to shoot for life. Im looking forward to joining the military, and I plan on shooting competitively at the college im attending. I have been learning free hand and now I want to learn how to shoot supported. Its not like I dont know what the thing does. :p Its like when I bought all my reloading gear. Did I know how to adjust my lee dies for .308 winchester...nope but I read the manual and worked it out. If I have any questions theres always the range buddies and..you guys

Thanks for the help can I get some mink oil at the local Ace hardware

Last edited:

bedlamite

Be careful, a lot of mink oil has silicone in it. That will dry out the leather. I use Fiebings 100% pure neatsfoot oil (their prime compound neatsfoot has silicone too). Lexol Leather conditioner is supposed to be good too. I get it a local tack shop.

lmccrock

The use of a M1907-type sling is harder to describe, easier to show. So if you go to a Highpower match, they can show you in a jiffy. I think you have it on right.

Caring for a good leather sling (like Turner - I have 2) is not a big deal. Unless you leave it in the sun for weeks at a time, occasional cleaning and treatment is fine. Use anything you would put on leather. Mink oil is good (I've used it), but I can't say if there is a 21st Century product that is better.

Lee

nbkky71

The sling setup is almost right. What you mainly need to do is relocate the keeper near the muzzle next to the other keeper near the pistol grip. Moving the keeper will help keep the sling locked onto the arm.

Some folks like the frogs facing out, some like them in. I was taught frogs facing inboard.

Here's a nice tutorial on how to rig the sling for positional shooting:
http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/slinghelp/slinghelp.htm

If you happen to be located in/around Charlotte, NC I'll be glad yo give you a hand with it.

Lavid2002

The sling setup is almost right. What you mainly need to do is relocate the keeper near the muzzle next to the other keeper near the pistol grip. Moving the keeper will help keep the sling locked onto the arm.
So when I lock my arm in between the d ring and the keeper there are 2 keepers holding the leather there not one (My question mark button is broken lol)

Sorry im in NJ not NC, Ill just get one of the veterans at the high powder service rifle comp to help me on the 18th : ) thank you very much though...p.s. why do you like the frogs in

nbkky71

The two keepers together work in tandem. One keeper keeps the sling cinched onto your arm and the second keeper keeps the first keeper locked into place.

I've always found that the sling easier to adjust with the frogs on the inside. The only drawback is that it scratches up the finish on the rifle. It's really a matter of preference...

It's always great to get some good coaching from experienced shooters, but be willing to experiment to see what works best for you. Over the years I've had the opportunity to get some quality coaching from high-masters, US Palma Team shooters and (most recently) folks from USAMU. You can ALWAYS learn something new!

Bayou Rifle

Some guys on the Army Marksmanship Unit don't do anything to their sling to perserve it -- they don't want the keepers to slide or the sling to stretch any so they just put it on and go shoot. Go to a service rifle match and visit with some folks. Don't get over anxious about putting anything on it, you don't want it to get slippery. It will last for years and years unless you leave it outside. Turner Saddelry does sell a bees wax compound for them.

As to how to put it on and sling up, you can also check out Jim Owens CD or DVD at jarheadtop.com. He was on the Marine service rifle team and then coached it.

Good shooting.

Jason_G

Check these out:

Dave,

These videos are a little long, but they are excellent videos for rifle marksmanship using iron sights and the 1907 sling. They are WWII training videos, so the rifle is an M1 Garand, but the difference in rifles doesn't matter in the least, since principles are the same.

Click here

Jason

4EVERM-14

Dave,
All of the posts have been excellent. The videos from the CMP are worth the price. But there's nothing like hands on coaching.
There are about a dozen ways to put the sling on. I have used the setup you have in your picture for 30 years. nbkky71's method is a Marine Corp version that is easy to use and strong. The key, no matter which setup is used, is to get the frogs as close to your arm as possible. I use nothing on my slings unless I get caught in the rain. Then I'll use Needsfoot.[for baseball gloves]

Citizen Carrier

Well, here's the problem.

You are not shooting what is called a "CMP-legal" or "DCM-legal" AR15

The National Match rifles sold by various firms like Bushmaster, Armalite, DPMS, Fulton Armory, and a few others all have free float handguards.

Outwardly, they appear to be standard issue handguards. In reality, they are a tube that in no way touches the barrel down at the end by the front sight assembly.

"Varmint" style AR15 rifles have a black aluminum tube as a front handguard, and this is also free floated.

Regular old AR15 rifles and carbines are not free floated. Thing is that when you "sling up" by putting the loop around your left arm in the prone or in the seated and pull the rifle tight into your shoulder, the AR15 barrel will flex and pull to the left.

I discovered this years ago when I started shooting High Power. I had to do my yearly qualification in the Army and figured I would employ the shooting sling technique to tighten up my groups. I slinged up to zero the rifle.

Yeah, groups were pretty tight. Then I went to the pop-up qualification range for targets from 25-300 meters. Having to shift and hit multiple targets at different areas and distances, I decided not to sling up for this stage.

I ended up not hitting anything past 150 yards. REASON: The barrel was not being flexed/bent/pulled to the left and down like it was when I was slinged up on the 25 meter zeroing range.

Half my shots were going high and right over the qualification targets.

I would not "sling up" with a standard AR15. Get something with free float handguards in order to do this.

Other high power shooters should back me up on this observation.

Casimer

Good call. CC is right. It's not hard to mount a FF tube, and you can get ones that look like a standard AR handguard.

Lavid2002

Quote:
Good call. CC is right. It's not hard to mount a FF tube, and you can get ones that look like a standard AR handguard.
I understand this, I figured a sling with no FF is better than no sling and no FF. The problem is, this gun as a muzzle brake welded onto it. So to put a FF that would have to be chopped off, then the FF installed, then have the bbl refinished on the end....meh....I discussed this in other threads. I am just going to buy a NM upper later in the spring when I have the cash, untill them my local range is only 100 yards and for now this rig will do for me : ) thanks for the help guys