How big of a risk was this? Neck sizing question

AL45

I use to own an H & R single shot .308. I neck sized the brass using the Lee Loader (the mallet and die type) and produced some pretty accurate ammo. I traded this rifle off a few years ago but still have about 50 rounds on hand. I have read that this ammo will only safely chamber in the rifle it was fire formed in since it was only neck sized. I have also read that it may or may not chamber in other rifles. Today I purchased a Ruger Gunsite Scout and decided to try this ammo in it. The cartridges chambered fine and I put 4 rounds in a 2 3/4" group from 100 yards open sighted from a kneeling position. No problems with ejection. Can I assume that it's safe to fire the remaining rounds?

F. Guffey

I traded this rifle off a few years ago but still have about 50 rounds on hand. I have read that this ammo will only safely chamber in the rifle it was fire formed in since it was only neck sized. I have also read that it may or may not chamber in other rifles.

I have heard that also; I consider it memory work, it also qualifies as “repeat after me”. I believe a reloader should develop methods and techniques that would all them to measure the length of a case from the shoulder to the cases head and diameters. I had a new Model 70 Winchester chambered to 300 Win Mag, the chamber was so ugly cases fired in it could not be stuffed into any 300 Win Mag sizing die. I have 300 Win Mag forming dies, small base dies and BAR dies. Winchester and I had words; I wanted a chamber that fit my dies or I wanted Winchester dies that fit their chamber.

F. Guffey

603Country

Mr Guffey, I don't want to redirect the OP's thread, but what ever came of your dispute with Winchester over that 300 Mag?

T. O'Heir

There's no safety issue at all. Operative words are "may or may not chamber". Usually, necked sized only cases won't fit right in another rifle, but nothing bad will happen when they do.
"...a 2 3/4" group from 100 yards..." Good enough for hunting.

AL45

Thanks guys. I didn't think it would be a problem, but most of my reloading has been straight walled pistol cases. Thought I better make sure. Thanks again.

F. Guffey

I don't want to redirect the OP's thread, but what ever came of your dispute with Winchester over that 300 Mag?

603 Country, they returned the rifle in a new box with the same serial number; they did not inform the gun store/smith what repairs were made, there was no information inside the box.. I left it that way for 5 years; I decided to take it to the range with a new box of ammo. Problem: the extractor would not jump the rim meaning the bolt would not close. I know, when the bolt will not close the reloader must bump the shoulder but everyone knows I am the only non bumper among reloaders so I removed the bolt and placed the case head against the bolt face by sliding the extractor over. The bolt closed.

Point? Winchester did not test fire the rifle. I removed the extractor and did some work on it. I also attempted to remove the case from the bolt face without sliding the extractor over. I like to cut down on case travel; I do not want the shoulders on my cases moving when I pull the trigger. I dug out 5 boxes of cases and started loading for a trip to the range.

I dug out a sled; I do not mind the recoil of a rifle I have confidence in. I have 2 bench rest type blanks I was planning on using on M1917 receivers; if the M70 accuracy does not improve it will be a candidate for another barrel.

F. Guffey