How bad is lead for you? What if I shoot in my basement?

HKP7PSP

So I fired a few dozen shots into a backstop in my basement. My girlfriend was really upset about the possiblity of lead contamination in the house. She feels it is a major hazard to children who might be in there in the future.

I know lead is a poison, but how bad is it to fire less than 500 rounds a year in the basement? I don't do it for target practice, but want to chrono some loads on occasion.

Ventilation is important as is removal of lead dust.

We're not talking just about removal of any lead bullets. That's the easy stuff because you see it. It's that lead dust that builds up and gets on your clothes and the soles of your shoes. Move around the house and you track it everywhere. If you have a furnace in the basement (as opposed to wall boards), it can spread lead dust through the house.

If you must shoot indoor, use lead free ammo. It's out there.

HKP7PSP

Good point. There is a furance there.

Lead-free ammo does not help me develop loads for the chronograph, but it would allow me to target shoot. I will stop the lead use. Less than 50 rounds so far fired total.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
I used to think it was silly, but my last tour I worked with some EPA types that did a lot to change my mind. Then two guys who worked in an Atlanta indoor range got lead poisioning and had problems. Knew them slightly and was surprised at the seriousness of the poisioning.

Mal H

Staff
One of the biggest sources of indoor airborne lead is not from the bullets, but from the primers which contain lead styphnate as the ignition compound. Most of the dust Gary mentioned comes from the primer. Even if you installed an effective bullet trap to catch the lead, you would still need a very good ventilation/filtration system.

Bottom line - it isn't worth it. Your GF has a right to be upset, it's not easy to catch all the lead. Lead free is the only way to go in a low-tech indoor range.

But in the '50s they told us heavy metals are your friends

The cleanup to ensure the safety of the rugrats is what would discourage me. Go airguns if you want to shoot downstairs. I do it in from my garage to my back yard. They're nice, quiet and with a good 22 bullet trap (overkill), you don't have to worry about overpenetration. Right now I'm trying to get a 3' diameter log for tomahawk & knife throwing. That ought to get my neighbors' attention.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
What about casting molten lead in the basement? Will the
fumes absorbed during the "cook off" cause lead poisoning?
And how good is the little ole' 3M Particle Mask's; as used
in automotive body shop's?

Thanks for the help, and all reply's!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

HKP7PSP

I know this is never done, but realistically speaking, how much sense does it make to wear a white paper dust mask when shooting at an indoor range? I bet it makes more sense than people think. I mean, people probably protect themselves from lower but more commonly accepted risks.

Penman

Another issue to consider is that it's illegal to fire a gun within the city limits of many cities, short of a SD situation.

HKP7PSP

Yeah, well. I would not do it in my condo in the city. But the basement of my large house with 2 acres of land -- no one will know or care, unless someone gets shot. No rule in my town anyway.

swampgator

as posted by HKP7PSP
I know this is never done, but realistically speaking, how much sense does it make to wear a white paper dust mask when shooting at an indoor range? I bet it makes more sense than people think. I mean, people probably protect themselves from lower but more commonly accepted risks.

Whenever the owner of our range goes down range to clean or oil traps, he wears a filtered mask and a body suit. The guy who does our lead removal wears the heavy biohazard type suits.

I've shot/RO'd matches that ran about 4 hours. At that point I could actually taste the lead. Kinda of a sweet taste. Not cool.

JohnKSa

Administrator
What about casting molten lead in the basement? Will the fumes absorbed during the "cook off" cause lead poisoning?
And how good is the little ole' 3M Particle Mask's; as used
in automotive body shop's?

Particle masks are a good defense against particulate lead in the air--like lead dust from bullet impacts, or particulate lead compounds from primers. They offer little or no protection against lead fumes or vapors. My guess is that there is some lead content in the gases which exit the muzzle and action during firing. A particle mask will not prevent this from being inhaled.

Lead fumes from casting are VERY bad. Worse than particulate lead. However, you can virtually eliminate this danger by keeping your melting temperatures down. I can't remember the exact number, but lead won't vaporize if you keep the temperature below a certain limit. There is a wide range of temperatures where lead is molten but won't give off significant vapor.

However, it's smart to carefully ventilate an area where lead is being melted. Most recommend that such activities take place outside.

LoneStranger

And if push comes to shove you contact the EPA and OHSA and ask them for the multitudes of information they have on lead.

Yes, I know that some of you are upset with the mention of those two agencies but you have already paid for the information that they have so you might as well use it.

Lead is a bad pollutant, it helps to bring on brain damage in infants and children not to mention yourself. Take care and enjoy.

Oh, by the way you may wish to investigate respirators rather than paper mask by whoever. OHSA regulations point out that not every mask is good for every situation. You need to know what you are dealing with or you can wind up like a LEO going into action against BG's with his issue unloaded Raven .25.:eek:

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Thanks JohnKSa, and Lone Stranger; I will heed the advice!:D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

SteelyDan

When I was in high school, I used to routinely melt lead in the bathroom at home, and cast various things (like key impressions in clay). Also lost a tablespoon of mercury on my bedroom's shag carpet. And it's not lik i sufered ani bran damge.

Actually, if you've got kids in the house, I'd err on the side of caution. They're particularly susceptible, especially under about age 8 or 10, if I remember correctly (which I may not, with all the frigging lead and mercury I ingested).

GunGeek

I know this is never done, but realistically speaking, how much sense does it make to wear a white paper dust mask when shooting at an indoor range?

Not alot, but because the paper masks are inefective, not because lead isn't dangorous. Whenever we cross the firing line at work we use the heavy duty filtered masks, we also wear the biohazard suits to oil plates or do other major work behind the plates like shovel lead.

A proper indoor range should have swamp coolers pushing lead downrange from the line. Masks probably arn't needed behind the line.