How are you all CCing medium-sized guns

ScotchMan

In my experience talking to trainers, range officers, and otherwise people who carry for a living, the most common choices of CCW for these people has been the Sig P229 followed by the Glock 17 or 19. I've never seen one of these people carry a Glock 26, XDm Compact, SR9c, Walther PPS, etc. They all seem to carry what I consider medium-sized 9mm, but large for concealed carry. And it seems like they choose it year round.

For those of you that carry guns like this, how are you concealing them? Perhaps it is a body type thing. I find that with a SR9c at 3:30 (gun has a height of 4.61"), it conceals well, but if I sit down in an open-backed chair or a stool, I have the butt poking through my shirt. This is true even with an over-sized hooded sweatshirt. Don't get me wrong, I can easily conceal this gun, but there are issues at times, and I can't imagine going to something LARGER. The P229 is an inch taller and the G19 is half an inch taller.

But ultimately I'd love to be able to carry a P229, it's a much nicer gun, easier to shoot, and I can get preban magazines in my state to carry more than 10 rounds.

Lately I've been carrying a PPS AIWB and having a LOT more peace of mind during former trouble spots, like getting out of cars, and sitting in restaurants. But that is moving the wrong way capacity-wise.

Any tips?

hulley

The P229 has been on my list for a while. However I have and do CC a CW9, P225, FNH FiveseveN and FNP-40. The only way I can comfortably CC the P225, FiveseveN or FNP is OWB with a cover shirt. Depending on weather the cover garmet is a light windbreaker or short sleeve button up shirt with some kind of pattern to break up the lines. Jacket weather is a no brainer.

Or I just IWB my CW9, LCR or pocket carry LCP. I had a Crossbreed supertuck for the FNP-40 but I couldnt get comfortable when sitting and once I discover OWB I never considered it anymore.

OWB is the cats meow for me. :D

TheNocturnus

I carry 2 guns. One is a Stoeger Cougar 8000F which is just a little smaller than a Beretta 92. I have it in an OWB Fobus Evolution holster and just drape a t-shirt over it. My second piece, a Bersa BP9cc, I carry in an uncle mikes IWB.

Although I have been rethinking the Bersa lately. The gun is awesome but the grip is a little too long for what I want as a BUG. I'd feel like an idiot if I sold it since I just got it but what can I do?

Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread. It's just been on my mind the past few days or so.

So back on topic, go with OWB for larger guns. If you have the body type for it.

BarryLee

I carry a P229 basically every day and use a Milt Sparks VM-2 IWB holster with a 5.11 belt. Personally the set up is very comfortable for me whether standing, sitting, driving, walking or whatever. As for it printing in certain situations I guess it might, but I doubt many people would notice. So many people carry smart phones and other items on their belt most folks would just assume it was that.

Last edited:

Uncle Malice

If I want to, I can conceal just about anything. It's not always comfortable... but I've concealed my USP 45.. .and that thing is a tank.

I've actually been carrying my Gen4 G21 for a couple of weeks now and have no problem with it. Granted, I'm in Arizona and open carry is completely legal, so I don't have anything to worry about. Day to day use, I carry it in a high-ride DeSanti leather OWB. You can see it when I'm on my motorcycle and my jacket rides up a little.. but walking around, a polo or t shirt is enough to cover it.

If I'm not riding, I can stick it in the Uncle Mike's SideKick soft IWB holster and it disappears. I really like those holsters. They're cheap, and don't provide any retention really... but on comfort alone... there's nothing I've found that's better.

Regarding printing: You're over thinking it. That's how us gun guys are. Someone else who is CC'ing might notice it... but your average person does not pay that much attention, and even then, they rarely think "THAT'S A GUN!" Most would assume it's a cell phone clip or something.

I was paranoid about printing at first too... but then I realized that most people are blind.

TunnelRat

I carry a P229 in a Galco King-Tuk, a cheap Crossbreed ;). I carry it in about the 4:00 position. I wear shirts that are one size too large, an XL in this case, and can get away with a t-shirt. Do I have to be aware of my movement? Yup, sure do. Tend to do a lot of bending at the knees and when I set I tend to avoid open backed chairs and I sit with my back flush. When I stand up I usually just adjust my shirt, but I do this without wearing a gun anyway. It also helps that my state allows open-carry and doesn't have laws against printing, so if a peek happens well I am still within my rights.

Tbh I now choose to carry an HK P2000. Still a medium sized pistol, Glock 19 size, and I find it works fine. I find the difference in width though, as opposed to a P229, to be easier, as well as the lighter weight and less pointy corners.

The trick to carrying a larger gun is to just be mindful of it, but to also realize that 90% of people aren't looking. I am sure some on these forums can spot us, but for the most part people don't stare at you and when they see a bulge scream, "GUN!".;)

Mrgunsngear

Either in a Theis, Crossbreed, or RKBA holster; usually at the 4 o'clock.
Having two clips helps distribute the weight.

pax

In my experience talking to trainers, range officers, and otherwise people who carry for a living, the most common choices of CCW for these people has been the Sig P229 followed by the Glock 17 or 19. I've never seen one of these people carry a Glock 26, XDm Compact, SR9c, Walther PPS, etc. They all seem to carry what I consider medium-sized 9mm, but large for concealed carry. And it seems like they choose it year round.

I am a professional-level trainer, and I carry a Glock 26 on a daily basis. I have taken the little Glock through hundreds of hours of firearms classes, including many advanced classes, and have used it in competitions.

I do usually demonstrate in classes with a Glock 19 because it is easier for me to show the "ideal" hold versus the somewhat-compromised hold required by the short grip of the little gun.

When I carry the Glock 19 -- which is uncommon but not rare -- I am most likely to carry it behind the hip in an OWB holster, with a stylish and attractive cover shirt over it. I don't wear "shoot me first" photographer's vests, but I do wear appropriately-designed, feminine polar fleece vests sometimes. In the summer, I often wear a snug tank top or tee that covers the bulk of the gun, topped with a loose, summery blouse that breaks up the outline.

I also occasionally carry the G19 in a King Tuk or Crossbreed behind the hip. It's not as comfortable because it digs into my curves, but I can do it. When I do, I do use the tuckable feature but usually add a cover garment too because it does alter my silhouette a bit much for my personal comfort level.

My preferred carry methods for the G19 are quite different from my preferred carry method for the G26, which is appendix IWB in a tuckable holster. I have a lot more flexibility with AIWB / tuckable than with anything behind the hip, and it stays much more discreetly concealed. I have carried the G19 AIWB, but the G26 works more comfortably in that position and my shooting skill is equal with both firearms, so I tend to choose the more comfortable gun for daily use.

Of course, I do have some advantages being a woman. Women have much more flexibility in our clothing choices, which makes concealed carry much easier for women than it is for men.

pax

ScotchMan

Thanks for the replies all. OWB sounds like a common one, I just can't make that work to a level I'm comfortable with most of the time unless I'm wearing a jacket. There are few scenarios where I can comfortably rely on the jacket to not come off at any point during the day, and I'm just way too tall to have sweaters and the like be long enough to cover an OWB holster. Finding shirts that will appropriately cover IWB is hard enough.

The more I think about this the more I'm thinking my body type just makes carrying a larger gun unlikely. I don't think there's some secret I just don't know. I also live in a very anti-gun state, so my worry level might be justifiably higher. If the gun got seen, and the police called, I would not be at ALL surprised if I lost my permit altogether.

I agree with pax's comments regarding appendix carry. Appendix carry is my new favorite thing, and I can't see going back to behind the hip given the advantages. I'll experiment a bit more with it, but maybe I just need to get over the limitations of having less than 10 rounds on tap.

WVsig

P228, Commader/CCO 1911 and BHP all ride in Milt Sparks VM2 on a 1.5" Aker gun belt. They are as comfortable as one can expect them to be. I often wear a button down collared shirt over T shirt in the cooler months. I can also use this setup with a jacket or a sweatshirt. I do not worry too much about printing. To my knowledge I have never been spotted. LOL

I switch to a Kahr CW9 in the summer because I can wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and it dissapears. I carry this one in a Alessis IWB holster.

I used to carry a lot more in OWB holsters from High Noon and Kramer but I have move more and more to IWB. It conceals better and I find it is just a comfortable in a quality holster on a quality belt.

Not a fan of appendix carry but YMMV.

hoytinak

HK USP Compact 9mm in Galco summer comfort IWB holster and belt from TheBeltMan (a good belt makes a huge difference).

100_0666.jpg

pax

I'll experiment a bit more with it, but maybe I just need to get over the limitations of having less than 10 rounds on tap.

G26 is 10+1 in standard magazine, or 12+1 with a Pearce grip extension of the appropriate design. I use a standard magazine and carry a G19 magazine (15 rounds) for my reload.

pax

Mrgunsngear

PAX knows her stuff and is spot on. I teach CC and basic pistol classes as well and carry a 26 a good bit. I never use them to teach class though; for the exact same reason she stated. I almost always use my G17 or 9mm 1911 to more easily illustrate the basics of grip and draw. Just because you don't see people teaching with the weapon doesn't mean they don't commonly carry it.

DSC01384.jpg

RC20

O
f course, I do have some advantages being a woman. Women have much more flexibility in our clothing choices, which makes concealed carry much easier for women than it is for men.

Hmm, have you seen how some guys dress? (or women). Actually the public in general is pretty atrocious (yes I am an old fart!). You used to have to look decent, now anything goes.

There are a lot of pure slobs out there. Unless I am working its clean jeans, a public type T shirt (not sure what the right name is, but one of the colored types with some kind of Logo or operation, heavier duty that serves as a shirt) and maybe a regular shirt if its cold enough. Its not dress up, but its clean, fairy neat and decent looking.

One very viable option for a plain DA/SA is a vest. I wouldn't carry one of the stikeres that way. You can up that with a PX type with the safety if you feel the need.

BGutzman

Really??? I Carry a Sig P220 all day long with the occasional trade out for my new Sig P290 (upgraded from a Bersa 380 thunder, which I also find a great gun)

I have friends that carry full size 1911s...

ScotchMan

I know the Glock carries 10+1. I have a Ruger SR9c that is very similar in dimensions and also carries 10+1, but I find its a bit thick for appendix carry. I've switched to a Walther PPS and it carries very comfortably, feels better, and I like the trigger more. But it holds at most 8+1 and with the flush magazine, 6+1. So that is where my comment came from regarding capacity.

Maybe it's because I don't have any experience carrying yet... But anything outside my waistband doesn't exactly look concealed. Unless you guys are rockin' ganster tall tees, which just isn't my style :D.

Kreyzhorse

A good leather holster, I prefer OWB, and a good leather belt to start. Once you've got those, dress around the gun. A long, loose shirt, something with a pattern will help cover it up. I occasionally carry a Glock 22 and following those steps you can make it disappear pretta easily.

Hardcase

I carry a full size 1911 a lot, or an Officer's model. If it's cool, I wear some kind of sweatshirt or fleece pullover. If not, then a loose shirt like a polo or a bowling shirt (thanks, Charlie Sheen!)

I don't worry about printing, really. Like somebody said earlier, either nobody notices or else they must think that it's a cell phone. Either way, nobody has ever said anything and I've never noticed any stares. I think that it's a little like having a zit on your nose. You figure that everybody in the world can see it, but in reality, nobody cares.

I use a Galco Supertuck and carry just behind my hip. The exposed part of the gun stays right up against my side.

If it's an occasion that requires something more dressy, I usually carry an LCP.

Come on now...Look at my signature. I mainly CCW full sized guns. IWB @ 4:00 jeans and t-shirt sometimes. Usually a button up. :) Mid-sized gun must be cake.