How are Ishtapore Enfields in .308?

Dave R

Local gun store is going out of business. They've got an Ishtapore Enfield in .308 marked at $150. I may be able to get it for $125 or less. Bore looks good.

So how are they? Is it a good coversion? Any durability issues converting an Enfield action to the higher pressures of .308? Anything specific to look for? Jump on it or back away?

Davis

They aren't conversions but purpose-built for the 7.62x51 NATO, even though India was not a NATO supporter and indeed tended to side with the Soviets in the world. The receivers were supposedly stronger than the British recievers, but they certainly are cruder. Overall, these were police rifles and by many accounts are sturdy, accurate bolt guns (if ugly).

Davis

Handy

My brother has one. It is VERY accurate with standard ammo.

It would be a great base for a Scout conversion.

MK11

Speaking of which, does anyone know what happened to scoutman308.com? They use to advertise Enfields (and Mausers) that had been tweaked into Scout rifles. I always wanted one bad.

esldude

No conversion as already mentioned. Made in the 60's in India. Have had a couple. Had a couple 303 Enfields. The Ishy's were a good deal more accurate. Commonly the magazine will wear enough it will pop out when fired. Try grabbing the bottom of the mag and give it a good hard yank. It shouldn't pop out. If it does, a good chance it is worn enough to matter. If you can find other mags however you are in business.

For actual use, I much prefer them to the 303's. Barrels clean up easier, though the bolt isn't as slick it is slick enough. 308 is widely available too. All in all a nice package.

Limeyfellow

There are two versions of them. The 2A and the 2A1. The 2A was built between 1963-65 and the 2A1 from 1965-1970. They both were built from scratch involving better metalurgical techniques of the time to handle the higher pressures of .308 ammo. Thousands were bought by Gibbs in the 70s who sold them on the US market, though alot were modified afterwards were Gibbs tried to pass them off as things they were not (Gibbs do this alot especially with faking No5s).

They tend to have a 12 round magazine. The 2A1 had a different sight marked only to 800 yards while the 2A goes to 2000. The 2A1 has has more stamped steel parts. Over all they are reasonable rifles, rather accurate but lack the beauty of other Enfields. For the price they are going they are well worth it, just on the money you will save on ammunation.

Other .308 Enfields you might want to look at are the DCRA match Enfields made in Canada, though these tend to be single shot rifles, they are very accurate and if someone wishes to buy me one go ahead.

There is also the L42 and L42A1 which were used as sniper rifles in the British military and around the world up until the 70s. They have the barrel cut down and looking more sporter like to reduce weight, scoped and such but are much harder to find, though not as hard as the Canadian one.

packa45

I got one from centerfire systems a couple years back. I put on a synthetic stock and 3-9 power scope. I've taken 3 bucks and two does with it out to 175 yards. Accuracy is very good. An extra mag was hard to find but I got one at a gunshow 2 years back for $30.

Dave R

Great info. Thanks, TFL. So, sounds like I need to check the sights to see if they go to 800 yds or 2000 yards, to see if its an 2A or an 2A1. Any other way to tell?

And it sounds like the 2A1 is slightly preferable because its newer?

And yank the mag to see if its worn.

Anything else?

If its still there tomorrow, its mine.

jefnvk

Yeah. They will be stamped with either 2A or 2A1, on the metal band at the wrist, where the rest of the stuff is stamped on Enfields.

BillCA

I picked up one of the "Ishy" 2A's that Navy Arms imported a few years ago that was modified to look like the "Jungle Carbine". Nice little rifle, if somewhat homely. But can't complain about it's accuracy when you can manage to see that teeny rear sight notch. Mine was about $150 and it's a good knock about rifle.

Most of the ones I have heard about have issues with malfunctions, often related to the magazine.
This isn't a big deal for most people.

308Enfield

I've got one that I picked up at a Rose's store of all places pretty cheap and refinished. I'm a big fan of it (not that my screen name was any tip ;) ) The one caution I have is to be sure and check the safety. Its a little lever on the left hand side of the rear of the bolt that rotates forward and backward. Mine was missing and when I had it replaced the gunsmith said the parts were extremely hard to find. It wasn't too expensive, but this was several years ago, so I don't know how hard it would be to find parts now.

Dave R

Update: she's mine. A 1965 2A1 (800M sights). Checked the mag. Fits tight, and could not remove without using the mag catch. Checked headspace at the store. Would not close on the .308 'no go.' $126 out the door. "Score!"

Thanks for all the help. Probably won't be able to shoot it until next weekend. :(

esldude

Dave,

I think you will be surprised how good this is. My opinion, obviously not shared, is they are better than the 303 Enfields for field guns. Just don't have the history of the 303 is all. Headspace is good, mag is good, you have a nice rifle.

I don't think the 800 meter sites are any disadvantage. Though the drop from the site is pretty close when you use Nato surplus ammo to what you really get.

Limeyfellow

The thing I like about it is the one problem I dislike with the .303 round. Its that horrible having to stack rounds into the magazine properly to avoid jamming from the rimmed ammo. Damn world war 1 stopped Britain from adopting rimless ammo. Of course that does make it far easier and cheaper to adjust headspace.

Dave R

Brief update...

I couldn't wait till next week to shoot it (I have no self-control) so I stopped at the indoor range on the way home from work. Gave it a quick cleaning and a test-firing. The range only goed to 25 yards, so I couldn't really check accuracy.

Trigger was good. A bit stiffer than my K-31, but a nice clean break. And better than my Rem700 was out of the box! Ejection was inconsistent. Some rounds just kinda rolled out. Others ejected properly.

Pix below. On the target, first group (circled) I was just checking zero and sight picture. 2nd group (cloverleaf) was concentrating on accuracy.

Looks like I'll have to adjust windage. Anyone know how?

Attachments

• Ishy.JPG
    Ishy.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Ishy Target.JPG
    Ishy Target.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 35