How accurate is your 44 MAG Ruger Super Blackhawk?

j.chappell

I am torn on which 44 to buy, a nice 4" S&W Mountain Gun or a Ruger Super Blackhawk.

I would like to know what kind of accuracy to expect from the Ruger. So all of you Ruger owners out there let me know what I could expect from a Super Blackhawk.

Thanks

J.

44Magnum

It's the most accurate gun I own (at least for me). Groups are very tight, even at ranges around 100 yards. It's a fabulous gun that fits my hand exceedingly well and is built like a brick poo house. Try it with the Buffalo Bore 340 grain +P+ and wood grips - holy sheet! :D

My other handguns include a S&W 686 .357 mag, Ruger Redhawk .44 mag, and a 1911 in .45.

CraigC

I probably just got lucky but my 629MG, 4 5/8" Super and 7½" Bisley .44's will all do 2"@50yds if I hold my mouth just right. Expect most good factory sixguns to do well under 2"@25yds wtih preferred loads. The .44's tend to be more accurate out of the box than .45Colt's due to ambiguous dimensions and tolerances.

jhenry

Both will be at least adequately accurate and probably quite a bit more than that. They are different animals though. One is shorter and lighter simply because that makes it easier to pack on your belt for extended periods of time. The Ruger is heavier and longer, a bit more of a drag on the belt but it has a longer sight radius and will give you a tad bit more velocity.

If I was going to carry one for protection and not as a pure hunting rig I would choose the Smith. If I was going to carry one as a hunting tool I would certainly choose the Ruger.

Dr. A

I've got both guns. The 629 is a 4 inch and the SBH is a Hunter Bisley model. I really like both, but because of the configuration, the hunter gets shot much more. With a good rest, 2 inches at 50 yards are possible, and now with a scope, I've done 1.5 inches with 3 different loads. I usually shoot the Smith downloaded. Its very accurate, but not quite the shooter. ( shoot my own cast lead). The Ruger is a big honkin gun. Not something to carry around for any reason other than hunting.

I've got a 5.5 in. Ruger 45 Colt/acp as well, and as far as I'm concerned, its my favorite all around gun for carry on the farm .

stevieboy

It depends. A SAA in .45 LC certainly represents the state of the art in revolver design and function prior to the 20th Century. A Model 10 may well set the standard for nearly the next 100 years. But, for the post 1980 era, the 686 seems to me to incorporate all of the most important technological changes that dominate modern revolver production and sales. These include: the beefed up albeit medium sized L frame; the gun's versatility (since its introduction it's appeared in dozens of incarnations); its longevity; the fact that it was introduced just as Smith began its phase out blued revolvers in favor of SS models; and, whether you like it or not, the use of MIM internals and trigger locks. My guess is that, eventually, something else will come along to set the industry standard. Meanwhile, for me, the 686 epitomizes the dominant trends in revolver design and production.

Steve in PA

I don't have a more recent picture but this is from my SRH. While not a SBH, I think the accuracy would be the same.

The circle is 3" in diameter. I always shoot 5-shot groups and you can see how that one round opened up a rather nice group. This group was shot from a rest at 100yds using a 2-6x scope.

240HP-XTP44mag-1.jpg

j.chappell

Well I really dont now which way to go. I really dont have the mad money at this moment to get both the S&W Mountain Gun and the Ruger SBH.

I think I am going to get the S&W as I can get the SBH anytime in the future.

J.

Steve in PA

If I was looking into a 4" model I would get the S&W Mountain Gun. Nothing wrong with the Ruger, but its a S/A revolver. Not something I would want as a defense against critters, two or four-legged.

cornbush

i have had both, my 629 was slightly more accurate with the right load. the ruger will shoot anything you put in it about 2 inches at 50 yards.

j.chappell

Well, just got back from the shop......the freaking S&W is gone. The owner said it sat there for 2 months before I started looking at it last week. Someone bought it yesterday, oh well, I lose more firearms that way. I think and think and think and then they are gone.

Now I really dont care too much about a 44, it kind of took the wind out of my sails. I had made up my mind and it was just a little too late.

Thank you everyone for yoour input.

J.

22-rimfire

I often use a shop's layaway plan when I'm not 100% sure but the price is very good. You can always sell it. Honestly however, I sell very few guns any more and usually 75% sure is good enough for me. Saving for my retirement.

ffffg

My opinion, some guns shoot well, some you have to work your butt off to get to shoot well, some never shoot well . from what ive seen in revolvers in the stores these days, be prepaired to shoot a few before you get a good one.. if yo want a shooter, like with a shotgun, i recomend you buy a used one out of the newspaper or from a friend that will take it to the range and show you how it shoots. talk is cheap, especesially from a motivated seller in hard times like these.. I sold a truck to my neighboer for 300 bucks, told him it had bad transmission, bad front end, bad engine the cab was loose from the frame, my sone had taken of the manifold and carberator, the starter was out and on and on,, my neighbor sold it on ebay for 600 dollars, stated it was "a good project truck".. It was a project alright, ready for the dump after you put 1000 bucks into it to find out its worthless.. I thought he wanted parts.. some guys are just plane crooks so let the buyer beware.. dave..