How accurate (exactly) is a Glock 17?

Chris W

I've had a 3rd generation G17 for several months, and (though this may make me an idiot in your opinion, and if so fine, I'm clearly not asking you) I think it is a terrific gun. I've probably got 3,000 rounds of various factory 9mm through it without one failure of any sort, and I'm confident of many more thousand ahead.

I've done mostly action shooting, and training for action shooting; IDPA for the most part. I'm not a bullseye shooter, but I really would like to know what kind of accuracy I should hope to be able to get out of my 17. I realize Glocks aren't made to punch paper at 25 yards, but I'm hoping someone out there will have done it and will share their results. How small a group, and at what distance, can you produce? Freehand, or with a rest? Using what ammo? With a stock 17, or with modifications, and if so, what?

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I'll be able to get out early this week and give it my best, and see what I can do. I've never measured, but I think I've been able to put 10 rounds in 6 or 8 inches at 25 yrds, and I fully expect I'm the limiting factor in this equation. How much better shall I shoot for?

Chris W

Popsicle

At 15 yds., I can shoot into about 2.5 to 3 inches from the isoceles stance. I have never really tried for groups at 25 yards, but can hit soda cans consistently at that distance, again shooting offhand.

Pat Brophy

JohnKSa

Administrator
We had an informal competition awhile back.

It was set up to mimic the TX CHL qualifications, but to make it interesting we shot the entire course @ 15 yards instead of varying the range.

It consists of firing timed shot strings of 1 to 5 shots on command. The way the times work out you're allowed about one to three seconds per shot IIRC.

My resulting group of 50 (fifty) rounds at 15 yards was 5.25"

That was using a completely stock 3rd gen Glock 17 and Winchester Wally World 100 pack white box 9mm FMJ.

I think that if I weren't being timed, and if I could mess around until I found ammo the gun really likes that it would be possible for me to shoot 5 shot groups around 2" at 15 yards.

Chris W

John,
That's pretty impressive timed shooting; and not hard to believe with a G17. It just seems like this is a very easy gun to shoot with reasonable accuracy right out of the box.

cw

larryw

Oh sure, there we go again. Another Glockster coolaid drinker making wild claims. One hole one shot groups? Uh huh...

Maybe with match ammo using the "Bayoob single-shot ignore the worst "method. :p

(John and Pat, that's some good shooting, I'd be interested in hearing what these will do from a rest)

Bob Locke

I've never measured the groups for size, but I've also never had any trouble hitting the "0" ring of an IDPA target at 20 yards with my G19. I figure I could get 4-5" groups out of it at 25 yards shooting offhand with no timer.

Similar results from a G17 wouldn't surprise me.

As you say, not a competition target shooter, yet still plenty good.

Handy

Shot from the bench with decent ammo, I've seen just under 3" at 25 yards for 5 rounds in several 9mm Glocks. That's mechanical accuracy, working as hard as I could; and I'm pretty good at rest shooting.

The 9mm Glocks are pretty decently accurate. There are better, but the majority of combat autos are not as good.

Navy joe

I'm seeing about 3-4 inches at 25 yds with my new 34. Over a stock 17 its got a longer barrel and sight radius and a better trigger. 10 rd groups fired slowly. Off-hand. Still getting used to it, stock Glock sights suck, can only get better. Soo much fun to shoot fast though, don't do much 25 yd shooting. After competing with a .45 the recoil is a joke, makes you want to fly.

SDC

A couple of weeks ago, with my Glock 22, I had an IPSC stage that required 6 shots from the prone position at ~35 yards; I was able to keep all 6 rounds in a tight A zone pattern that you could cover with your fist. Glocks are plenty accurate, but some of the bashers out there just can't learn the trigger control that they require.

M1911

The 9mm Glocks are pretty decently accurate. There are better, but the majority of combat autos are not as good.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Without a ransom rest, I'd guess that my HKs are just as accurate as my Glock 17 and my Sig is more accurate.

Glocks are plenty accurate, but some of the bashers out there just can't learn the trigger control that they require.
I resemble that remark :(

M1911

Lennyjoe

Dont know about the G17 but my G19 didnt do too bad after not shooting anything for about 51/2 months. Not my best group but it was nice to shoot again. Normally when I shoot weekly my groups are alot tighter.

Glock+19.jpg

Last edited:

Handy

HK and Sig are the type of pistols that are a hair more accurate. The ones that are less are S&W, Beretta Cougar, Daewoo, etc. All combat accurate, I've just found 9mm Glocks to fall out in the middle. Not perfect, but darn good.

LiveWire

Freehand, with my stock 17, I'll do 6" groups at 15 yards, 3 seconds per shot, using PMC, S&B and Federal FMJs (115/124 gr).

However, my groups are considerably tighter with Gold Dots and Hydra-Shoks. On a particularly good day, not too long ago, I was able to make a 3" group (with one flyer) on a highcap snuff with Premiums.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Agree that H&K USP is slightly more accurate.

Disagree that the Beretta 92 is less accurate.

I've owned two Beretta 92FS pistols which shared the top spot in the history of my arsenal for 9mm pistol accuracy.

I don't know if I could shoot this well anymore, but here are a few groups I recorded. All groups were shot standing with a two hand hold. Pistols were unmodified.

Groups @ 50 feet.
15 rounds into 2.5" Fiocchi 115gr FMJ
5 rounds into 0.75" Fiocchi 115gr FMJ (one ragged hole)
4 rounds into 1.0" Fiocchi 115gr FMJ

Groups @ 25 yards (75 feet)
5 rounds into 1.5" Fiocchi 115 gr FMJ
5 rounds into 1.5" Winchester 115gr FMJ

I suppose it's worth mentioning that my eyesight during this time period was 20-15. It's not that good now (even corrected).