How About Some 265 Yard 44-40 Shots?

Savvy_Jack

Before proceeding, make sure you note the difference between loads for the Winchester 73' and stronger action Winchester 92's and Marlins.

I never thought in a million years I would even be attempting to shoot at long distances with the 44-40. One reason is that I never had the opportunity, lacking a range long enough. Another reason is that I just didn't think I could do it...not that I can now!

John Kort already proved it could be done with Black Powder, at least out to 300 meters as he has so proven with great accuracy...at least with a scope. I am sure most everyone has seen his video from Oct 2011: Row 2, Column 7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbxvlQUkQfU&t=57s

After I got deeply involved in the history of the cartridge, it's myths and legends, I decided to give it a shot with smokeless powders. I did well with a scope so it was time to try the open sights with both the Marlin flip up sight and the Winchester 73' Buckhorn sight.

Since I can't see where I hit unless the target moves or I stop recording and review each shot...I decided to just shoot ten shot group barrages and just see where they grouped. Sometimes, as in the last video, the flip up sight began to bump up one notch after each shot or so. Gotta keep it tight I guess.

With the Winchester 73, I could hit close enough with 6.4gr of Trail Boss traviling at a brisk 900fps (I need to chrono that load again). Video starts at the 4:22 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0rpQsSVUH8

If you watch the whole video, please forgive me for failing to catch that I spelled warrior wrong...and just poor editing...as is with most of my forum posts.

I also decided to fill the mag tube with ten rather than one at a time as I had been doing.

I again decided to try different bullets and sizes. I figured I'd start off with ACME's 44-40 .427 that went very well. I would like to try a barrage of these later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndcpdnUSmFc

Then on to ACME's 44 Magnum .431 resized to .429, not much difference but could be a tad more accurate. Don't forget this is me shooting and I am using open sights....a bit to be desired!! The flip up sight bumped up from the recoil after the forth shot I think it was. I did see some dirt splatter so I aimed a bit lower not knowing what had happened until after I watched the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-nAQiNvFhM

I also tried some 431, resized to .429 powder coated bullets as well as some 431 resized to .429 44 Magnum 240gr SWC powder coated. Both did well but those two need to be revisited. The 240gr SWC did better than expected for a 1/36 twist.

Feel free to give opinions about bullet sizes, bullet hardness, powder coating, twist rate...and even my poor marksmanship!!

eastbank

my hunting load drives a 200 gr JFP bullet at 1600 fps in a baby sharps and my 1892 Winchesters and my plinking loads drive a 200 gr cast bullet at 1100 fps and I use it in my 1873 rifles also. I should take my marlin cowboy and try lone shots with a scope mounted.

Jim Watson

I think the first thing to do is to get that sight fixed.
A full power load of 1200-1300 fps will probably help.

Savvy_Jack

Nothing wrong with the sights any more, but there is still a problem with my eyes! No glasses the front sight is clear but the rear sight is blurred. Glasses on it is the opposite. With the peep hole glasses, I can see good but then the target is a tad smaller...weird but true. I can put the scope back on but I don't wanna!! I cant see where I hit so I just aim for the same place and then watch the video.....I am having fun!!!

1,600fps is just fine and replicates Winchester's "High Velocity" loads. Nothing wrong with them one ioda for the Marlin....love the 1,200fps - 1,300fps in the 73' though.....

There is no fixing my markmanship.....some things just can't be fixed...LOL

ndking1126

I am very much ignorant on these types of rifles, so I apologize if this question seems off-base.

The sizes and velocities you mention a lot like shotgun slugs. Is there an advantage to shooting these older calibers over a shotgun slug?

Savvy_Jack

No no no, when I say slug, I am referring to "slugging" the barrel with a soft lead "slug" to measure the bore of the barrel. For example, if a person uses a .soft .440 "round ball", and force it down the barrel, when it comes out, measure the diameter/grooves/lands.

Savvy_Jack

My Grand Finale! Marlin 1889 and 1894CB 44-40, Paper targets and Golf Balls @ 265 Yards

This morning was the morning I have been looking forward to for a long time! After all this load testing I finally got the scope back on the CB and opened her up on that illusive GOLF BALL at 265 yards. The Below is some detailed handloading information for this Group II rifle.

Marlin 1894CB 44-40
Bore: .429

Starline Brass trimmed 1.300"
CCI 300 Primers
26gr IMR-4227
200gr Acme Magma sized .430

1,650fps @ 19,000psi
This should closely replicate Winchester's "High Velocity" 22,000cup loads intended for the Winchester Model 92'

RCBS "Cowboy" Full resize
Lyman 44 Magnum "M" expand die
RCBS "Cowboy" Roll Crimp

Lee Perfect Powder Measure

I made a few shots to get the scope sighted in @ 100 yards
Top shots

I then adjusted the sights POA @ 265 yards
https://youtu.be/4exkGBF_yq0

My friend Wes was there so it made it even more fun!

This morning was the morning I have been looking forward to for a long time! After all this load testing I finally got out the ole girl and opened her up on that illusive paper target at 265 yards with open sights. The sights, with my eyes, are even more blurry in the photo when I try to aim. Below is some detailed handloading information for this Group II rifle.

Marlin 1889 44-40 (button mag) manufactured in 1891.
Bore: .429

Starline Brass not trimmed 1.295"
CCI 300 Primers
25gr Reloder 7
200gr Acme Magma sized .427

1,300fps @ 11,000psi

RCBS "Cowboy" Full resize
Lyman 44-40 "M" expand die
RCBS "Cowboy" Roll Crimp

Lee Perfect Powder Measure

https://youtu.be/fPFtishn0DA

eastbank

I like unique for 200gr cast loads at 1100 fps for 1873 safe loads and 2400 for JFP for the hunting loads at 1600 fps+ in my Winchester 53 and a marlin 94 cowboy along with a CD little sharps.