How about brand new Webley .455's

garyhan

Webley has announced that they will produce brand new MK VI .455's if they receive 1000 deposits of $100. Not a scam (go to www.webleyand scott.com, click on" click here for gunmakers', look at bottom of page). This is a great classic revolver. I have an original (converted, as most were, to ,45 acp), and would be thrilled to have a new .455. Price is reported to be about $1000 (in the same range as a good S&W). I am sure production would be outsourced, but suspect Webley would demand good quality control. I consider this a great opportunity I never expected to see. Please check it out if you are a fan of Brit revolvers.

gary

carguychris

garyhan said:
Webley has announced that they will produce brand new MK VI .455's if they receive 1000 deposits of $100. Not a scam...
Just to play devil's advocate, the fact that the makers may be well-intentioned doesn't automatically mean that they'll actually deliver. Google "new Merwin Hulbert." :rolleyes:

garyhan

For sure, there are no guarantees. Besides Merwin&Hulbert, there are Bren 10's, and the constant rumor of new Colt DA's. Nevertheless, when a British company founded in 1834 announces they WILL produce the revolvers if certain criteria are met, I take it seriously. Similarly, there are no guarantees it will be a quality product, but it will be backed by a company of established reputation.

gary

Model12Win

Oh my God do I want one!! SO COOL!!! :D

Not sure about .455... haven't seen much ammo for that floating around. I might have to get some dies for it!!

lee n. field

Google "new Merwin Hulbert."

was my first thought.

.455 Webley? Maybe not so much.

A ‘plot’ was hatched amongst several enthusiasts to persuade Webley to make the .455 Mk VI Revolver and it was agreed that if 1,000 signatures backed up by $100 deposits could be garnered then Webley would start production.

Is $100,000 enough to get something like this going?

garyhan

The deposits would not be inough to fund new production. I think it is a way of testing the waters as to whether the gun will sell. Who produces it is very important. We really just have to trust that Webley will make a sensible choice.

gary

J.E.Walker

server not found

This one may be the exception but most "send us your money" deals are like the Merwin Hulbert and Bren Ten fiasco-s. They are either a scam or an exercise in irresponsible, cockeyed optimism or a combination of both. Would be nice to have an faithful re issue of the Webley (unlikely to come from England) or a Mauser c96 though making either the old way or even with cnc machinery would probably be quite expensive.

My guess is that we'd be looking at investment cast frames, MIM parts, and CNC machining.

That would cut the cost considerably, but it would still not be cheap.

And I think I'd rather have the real thing, not a modern repop.

44 AMP

Staff
My guess is that we'd be looking at investment cast frames, MIM parts, and CNC machining.

That would cut the cost considerably, but it would still not be cheap.

Cast frames, MIM parts on a Webley? They would make it "cheap". What they won't do is make it inexpensive.

And, no doubt, some brilliant fellow will get them to move the firing pin to the frame, because it is "better"....

And then, somebody will think it doesn't load fast enough, and get it cut for "moon clips", and since the .455 is a rather weak round, they'll load it up to something "effective"....Heck, maybe even use .45ACP brass.....:rolleyes:

And we'll see tons of posts about "how I'd buy one, if only it was .357/.40/.41/.44mag/etc., etc.,etc...."

Its a neat idea, but I don't see it actually flying. And estimated $1000 a unit? Is that dollars, or Euros, or Pounds Sterling?

Personally, I think they'd get a bigger potential market if they brought back the Webley Fosberry. Now that, would be a really unique collector's toy!

garyhan

The decision to possibly offer new MK VI's was in part driven by the extreme popularity (in the UK) of airgun version of this revolver. You may want to check you tube to see the quality of this version. It's a long way from a BB gun to a .455, but I suspect Webley would not want to have their name on a gun of poor quality. There are no guarantees, but if some of us don't take the plunge, we will never know. I certainly understand those who don't want to make the deposit (which is not yet being collected). I have been taken in the past, too.

A company in Pakistan is reportedly turning out a repro of the Webley Fosberry, which they say will be available in the US, this year (british militaria forum has some info on this as does gunboards). I am personally more skeptical of this gun than of the proposed MK VI; but if it's good , I want one.

gary

I'm not talking about poor quality.

Ruger has MORE than proven that you can make high quality durable guns using investment castings.

Many manufacturers use MIM parts, and virtually everyone is using CNC machinery now.

James K

Member In Memoriam
In setting up to produce any new gun, $100k would be chump change, though solid orders might be enough to attract investors with megabucks. And remember, that $100 is only a deposit, not the full sale price.

My problem is that, skeptic that I am, I just don't see a large enough market. There is none in Britain unless they make the gun as a non-firing replica. The Webley fans in the U.S. are devoted but not numerous. The major replica market is for percussion revolvers, which have the advantage of being sold as "antiques" or "non-guns" in most markets and the historical background, in the U.S., of the American Civil War. There is no doubt about the historical background of Webleys, but that is not very significant in the U.S., the major market for any handgun.

Jim

Model12Win

I just wonder if 1000 people will actually give $100 each to even start the project.

I think it's kind of unlikely. The numbers of Webley enthusiasts, those who could even legally purchase a new Webley, are probably pretty few. Even less are those who would be willing to invest $100. Would the $100 deposit guarantee the person a gun? How many of these does Webley plan on making?

Wheelie_Fan

:)Does anyone actually believe that if MIM parts were available 50 years ago, that NO major gun maker would take advantage of the process/availability? Like the phone company would stick with copper vs cellular and satellites...?? or Detroit would stick with the carburetor and the hand crank start?? Yeah, I/we love that old crap (and I mean crap in the best sense of the word).

But, Jimminy H Cricket...... If that were the case, we'd still be looking down the barrel of a blunderbuss or some Damascus twist shotgun barrel.... And I'm a guy who LOVES Tradition and "things the way they were".....

Let's get past the bitching about MIM..... :) [edit: upon further review..let's replace "bitching about" with "consternation over"]

Last edited:

Mannlicher

the .455 ammunition is SO anemic, (and expensive) that I would be awfully reluctant to shell out that kind of money, for what is essentially a plinker.