How about a 9mm Makarov for CCW

hgmeyer

It just reaches 100fps w/100 gr in a very small package. About 15% better than a .380 and about 80% of a 9mm...

I am considering it for those T-shirt and Shorts days for pocket carry

Valornor

Sure why not? The only down side is that your choice in carry guns is limited, and the choice in ammo can also be kind of limited.

hgmeyer

Lots of Radom P64 are available. Hornady offers Critical Defense ammo which is reasonably accurate and reliable... 95gr at 950-1000fps... in ballistics gelatin it mushrooms to .500+ so it fits the bottom end of the envelope

Nick_C_S

Makarov (9x18) sits between 380 (9x17) and 9mm Luger (9x19); and people carry 380s. So it seems logical enough to carry to me.

twhidd

I carried a Russian Makarov IJ70 for a few years. It's a great gun and a great shooter. I still have it and carry it from time to time loaded with Hornadys.

Skadoosh

Shooting my P64 can be very painful. It kicks pretty hard.

cid_0010.jpg

CWKahrFan

I love my CZ82... Have been using it as my permanent car gun for a long time
so it gets occasionally carried playing that role... Very trustworthy gun.

JimmyR

Late to the party

My Bulgarian Mak is one of my 3 CC options that I pick from (as well as my CZ75 and my S&W 642). It's perhaps one of the most accurate small guns I have ever shot, even with those tiny little GI sights. I can get the ammo for about $20/50 for brass FMJ, and keep 3 mags loaded with Hornady SD ammo. I currently have it tucked away in the car, since I work in a GFZ

hodaka

It is one of the only carry guns that I load with FMJ. I think with the Mak, as well as with .380, penetration trumps expansion. I prefer to carry a 1911 but I don't hesitate to carry a Mak and did so for years. The first time I used it to qualify no one could believe the accuracy.

Oppy

I really like my Bulg Mak for carry. For lighter weight clothing I use my P64. Both in OWB as I find IWB uncomfortable. I am looking for a more modern replacement for my P64 carry days, such as Shield or P290 but will keep the Mak :)

Snowdog

I also carried a P64 for a while and loved it.
Don't forget Underwood offers a "+P" load that pushes a 95gr XTP to 1150 fps (probably from a makarov).

They also offer a 115gr lead RNFP rated at 1000 fps.

CCWBeliever

Safety of P64?

All,

I recently read a thread (that I cannot locate at the moment) where an individual who was using a P64 as his carry gun had an accidental discharge. He claimed that then re-holstering the makarov with the safety off, the rail caught on the holster, pulling back the hammer enought to cause it to fire accidentally.
(he was unhurt)

I'm thinking... if you carry with a round in the chamber, but with the safety on, wouldn't that protect from an accidental discharge? Then if you have to use your gun, you simply flip the safety switch.

thoughs?

emcon5

I have a CZ82, Been debating using it for a winter carry gun, aside from the weight, I think it should be OK.

My biggest concern is that you can't decock it without pulling the trigger. Seems silly to carry a double action pistol cocked and locked.