Hottest load for Marlin 45-70

Alex Johnson

I'm interested in 45-70 loads for the new Marlin 45-70 carbine. What would be the hottest load I could safely run through this gun?

Rmouleart

If your not reloading, I would say Garrett or buffalo Boar for hot factory loads, the others are limited due to trapdoor pressures in the old type 45/70's. BuffaloBoar&Garrett is very costly Ammo, around $50.00 and up for a box of 20, if hot loads are what your looking for they have them, A little over kill for most of our game here unless your hunting Moose, also good if your hunting brown/griz/cape buffalo etc...very large animals over 500 Pd's, now if your reloading the sky is the limit, read about Elmer Keith's loads, He got a few hot ones that he developed in his time, I like H4198 powder using 350-405 jacketed bullets there is some really hot loads using H4198, this is a Hodgdon powder. Stay within the spec's and you can find many hot loads for the 45/70. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

cheygriz

Check the Lyman and Hodgdon manuals.

I've had my best luck with heavy loads with H-322 from Hodgdon. I'm loading 350 gr Hornadys to 1700 FPS, and I'm nowhere near maximum pressure.

However, that load is just a bit above the maximum that my shoulder will tolerate.

kdubya

Alex - A kindly word of advice -

If you're going for hot loads, rip the factory pad off that guide gun and put a good, 1" thick minimum recoil pad on it. The Pachmyer Decelerator pad is one most folks are installing. You may get lucky with the Pre-fit job they sell of this rifle, but most people find it really isn't "pre-fit" at all. I got the brown SMALL pad from Pachmyer, ground it down to fit with a belt sander, then finished off with wet/dry fine paper wetted with some light weight gun oil.

You'll remember this posting the first time you fire a HOT load out of the Marlin and didn't install the pad!

Paul Fitz Jones

45/70 loads

As the 70's top sales rep for California Saeco and owner of 1895 Marlins, I decided I did not like the common "500 grain recoil flinch" or the 500 grain "Sore Shoulder Syndrome" so I developed and sold hundreds of 300 to 405 grain 4 cavity molds with handles and my most popular was my 344 grain bullet that would take any North American animal including moose and bear with up to 53 grains or IMR 3031 but the most accurate load that won in competition was only 48 grains without any shoulder punishment or flinching.