Hot load or sloppy pistol ?

Archer1440

I helped a good friend, who is a relative beginner, set up his new Springfield Champion "Loaded" 1911 this weekend with factory ammo, and something came up that has me puzzled.

Many, but not all, of the primers had the strikes expand back out during cycling to the point where there's just a shiny flat "cap" where there should be a dent. Seems that the dented portion of the primer rebounded HARD against the breech face before the weapon cycled.

Is it overpressure ? There were no other bulges or signs of that.

Well, then again, these rounds he's shooting are the relatively new Remington UMC "Lead Free" rounds in the greenish box. Maybe these lead-free primers have thinner walls ?

Could it be sloppy headspace ? Have heard some Springfields may have that.

He had two dud rounds in the box of 50, even a second strike by my HK failed to ignite them. Makes me wonder about these lead free rounds.

Any ideas appreciated.

MP-5

Remington usually makes a quality product. The duds could be a bad batch or packing grease might have "deadened" the primers. Oil will do that to primers ya know. :eek:
How did the primers look when you fired them out of your HK? That will explain alot. Also this Springfield "Champion" was new? Sometimes the manufactures coat the barrels with a rust inhibitor. This "might" explain the excessive pressure. Did your buddy clean his new pistol before taking it out to shoot? Might want to tell him to stop shooting so much arrows and start picking up a bore brush. ;)

Common sense = safe shooting :confused: Any questions?

C.R.Sam

Clean weapon.
Degrease chamber.
Try different ammo.

If still same thing, gun broke.....call manufacturer for further instructions.

Sam

Archer1440

Well, the reason I went along with him was to be sure he started out right. I know that SA ships weapons dripping in lube/rust inhibitor, and I didn't want him blasting away with a brand-new pistol without cleaning that up. :eek:

I walked him through a field strip and thorough cleaning, bone-dry chamber and breechface, lubrication (militec) in the appropriate places, then a reassembly and function check.

I didn't fire any of the cartridges through my HK, just tried to get ignition of the two duds. The rounds were in a new box and I don't think oil could have gotten to them. I do think the non-lead styphanate primers are less reliable.

MP-5, how'd you know my friend shoots arrows, lucky guess or good assumption from my handle ? :)

Also while I'm at it, I must say that Rangemasters in Springville Utah (which did my friend's FFL transfer, since he purchased the weapon direct from SA) has got to be the nicest, cleanest and best set up shop range I've ever shot in, and I used to shoot quite a lot at the now-defunct Beverly Hills Gun Club (LOL for those of you who have shot there).

Nice people at Rangemasters, too ! :cool:

Blackhawk

Primers bulge after firing even if I'm just igniting a primed case, so that's definitely not over pressure. 9mm, Winchester white box, FMJ.

MP-5

Lucky guess! Anyone named Archer I assumes shoots Bows and Arrows! :) Those compounder bows are somthing else. I guess you could shoot a crossbow. The only thing I could suggest on the situation is change ammo! If you're dead set on lead free, try Win-Clean by Winchester. ;)

P.S. Mil-tec is the way to go. Not a bad choice for an "Archer"!

James K

Member In Memoriam
It could be excess headspace if the whole primer is flatening, and a good point to check. Of course high pressure is a good possibility. If the dent is just being ironed out, the firing pin spring may be too heavy or the pin too light. The pin's inertia should keep it in contact long enough to keep pressure from ironing out the dent.

Jim

Archer1440

Jim,

Now that's a thought. I believe these SA Champions are equipped with titanium firing pins, in which case you might be on to something.

I'll let you all know what's up with different ammo.

Jim Watson

Apparently all SAs are fitted with titanium firing pins, no matter where sold. A friend recently bought a Loaded SS 9mm with one here in the Old South. He is getting primer extrusion and shearing. He doesn't think it is a big problem, he hasn't got enough flakes of primer cup in the firing pin hole to cause a misfire... yet. I would not have expected it to happen in a .45 with about 40% less pressure. Maybe the unleaded primers are contributing.