hot, humid climates and concealed carry...

lonegunman

How do folks living in hot humid conditions carry your concealed weapons?

Down here in Florida it gets on average about 100 degrees during the summer. Very humid also. Typically I wear chinos or shorts, with a light weight shirt. Wearing a coat is out of the question.

In that kind of situation what would gun would you carry and why?

Keiller TN

I carry a Tarrus .38 titanium. I use to stick it in my back pocket, but it shows a little. I don't think there is a good solution for the hot/humid climate. Maybe somehow in a hat. :)

riddleofsteel

MK40 in a Kramer pocket holster in my left back pocket. left front pocket standard K40 extra mag in a Kramer sleeve. right front pocket Gerber E-Z Out knife. Light is a Scorpin in a Strong scabbard i wear on my belt.
nJ77879.jpg

RikWriter

lonegunman, I have lived in Florida most of my life and I carry a full size 1911 year round. How? There are a few ways. First, get a good quality inside the waistband holster---I use a Galco Summer Comfort. Second, and most important, get a good, thick belt designed for concealed carry. Wear the IWB holster with a tucked in tank top and you can use an untucked polo shirt or an unbuttoned and untucked button-down short sleeve shirt as a concealing garment. Wear it with a tucked in T shirt and you can use a lightweight athletic vest or, again, the untucked button-down shirt. It is really quite doable.

croyance

Well here in Georgia, it still gets hot and humid in the summer, but there is no afternoon rain to cool of in, and often no breeze.

Given this, a Kahr with smooth grips and a Commander-sized 1911 with thin, smooth grips would be fine. Again, it is in how you wear. A handgun is meant to be comforting, not comfortable, still, the above choises would not be bad.

M16

Lonegunman, The proper procedure when picking something up is to squat, not bend over when carrying concealed.

gringo5

When living in Florida i carry either a 1911 or Glock 19/32. I normally use a Kydex IWB under a beach type shirt or polo. Though my favorite shirt is a custom Guayabera made by Ramon Puig of Miami, Florida. It's cut a little bigger on the right side to aid in concelment.

I also use a Sport Holster by Active Body Holster CO. out of Oregon. It holds the pistol in the small of the back quite comfortable. I've done 1000 mile + drives wearing it,plus horse back riding, hikeing, ect.. I wear a x-large t-shirt and it conceals well. Here in Central America the weather is not unlike Florida and i carry 7 days/week without fail, so i'm always looking to be comfortable when i carry. The more imput from members the better!

Jesse H

smart carry

can you run with it? Seems like your gun would smack into your, um, guys with each time you landed while full sprint.

RikWriter

lonegunman, M16 had it right. No matter what covering garment I am using, I bend at the knees to bend over, I don't bend at the waist. If anyone looks at you funny, groan and grimace and tell them you strained a back muscle working out.

jwise

Lonegunman,

Yes, the grip will always print through the shirt, no matter how expertly trained you are. However, certain shirts (thick materials) and certain prints (not solids) will hide this 'print.' In addition, if it's legal, who cares? I know this is grossly unprofessional, but as long as its physically covered by a garment and not exposed, I don't get a ticket for brandishing.

"Concealment is in the eye of the beholder, not the one who's wearing the piece." Only those who regularly carry concealed will even notice the 'slight' bulge, or the 'frequent' check, or the 'stiff arm.' I've actually hugged my sister (and didn't worry about her arm laying on my holstered firearm) and later asked her if she knew I was carrying- her response was that she didn't even notice. It's amazing what people don't pick up on. I wear a jacket because I'm cold (which is infrequent in Texas), not because I'm worried about someone noticing a legally carried pistol.

This entire post should be completely thrown out for those who are forced to carry against the law of the land in which you live. If the law is not on your side, take special considerations.

J. Wise

EricM

Jesse H

I have run while wearing a smartcarry, P11 and spare mag. A 1 mile run at the gym. I think it would depend on the size of your . . . uh . . . gun. I would not want to run with my Beretta 96. For me it's better than running with the gun in a butt bag.

Runner

When I carry concealed my objective is for someone (anyone) not to be able to tell that I am carrying. So the largest weapon I ever carry for CCW is a Kahr MK9 . For Texas summer and or lightly dressed times I reduce to a KelTec P32 in a Don Hume Hip Pocket - 002 holster.

002.jpg

David Scott

I carry my Ruger P95 in a High Noon "Hideaway" IWB holster, just behind the hip. I cover it with a vest (I have several for different occasions) over a tucked in polo shirt, or with an unbuttoned guyabera/oxford shirt over a tee. Thin layers of 100% cotton isn't that warm, even here in Florida.

I have a fanny pack but don't care much for them, too slow to draw from and they are a nuisance behind the wheel of a car.

If I want to travel light I borrow Thelma's Kel-Tec P32, which rides comfortably on its belt clip in the "appendix carry" position.

ctc

Lonegunman..

My "normal" attire is khakis and a dress shirt of some sort. This requires a little more work than t-shirt and shorts but the principle is the same. First with whatever covering shirt I wear I always wear an "athletic" t-shirt (no sleeves) between my gun and side. This helps absorb sweat and protects my side. I carry my Beretta Mini-Cougar, 8040F, in either a Rosen ARG-Slim or a Talon by Alessi. Basically, after tucking the shirt in all around except where the gun is - I just blouse my shirt out evenly around my belt and over the gun and snap loop. Kind of like the look you get after you have been sitting for a while and then get up, the shirt is loose around the waist with material overhanging the belt some. All of this requires the shirt to be loose and a little big. When I first started this mode it took some time in front of a mirror to get the right look and it seams that every pair of pants are a little different and take a slightly different approach. Remember dark colors, complex prints (hence the Hawaiian shirt popularity) and loose.

With shorts and t-shirt the same guidelines apply – athletic t-shirt, then gun then covering t-shirt (the t-shirt should be a little big and usually not tucked in). Or use a contrasting colored t-shirt with a loose, un-tucked Hawaiian shirt

BTW – I’m in Atlanta, GA.

-- Chuck

RazorsEdge

Two comments. This is where the superb corrosion resistance of the Glocks really counts. I carried G 19 on Long Island Sound (salt air) for years in IWB and sweat like pig, no rust.

Also, we are starting to get a free ride because so many folks are carrying cell phones on the hip these days. A bulge don't have to be a gun.

Having lived in South Carolina for several years gave me experience in carrying with just a pair of dress shorts and an untucked t-shirt.

My Milt Sparks CC-AT (an OWB holster) for my Glock 17 worked just fine. This is an excellent holster, and with a strong, 1.5" wide, stiff belt, it disappeared under that untucked t-shirt.

These days, I alternate with that, or a Sidearmor OWB holster for my Glock 23.