Hot cases on cold skin! Ouch!

carpfisher

So I decided to use my Comp-Tac Shirttucker for the PPC course the other day for the first time. I am just amazed how much faster a plastic(sic) holster over the leather on I have been using, but that is not the point.
At some point in the course of the 1st or second string I feel something hot on my leg. An ejected brass from my Gold Cup in .45 had managed to hit the hole of the holster and go sliding down my leg inside of my jeans! And then it happened again, and again!
It's not so hot that it burns ot anything but it is funny! The guys on the range got a real kick of it. I guess I need to either add or subtract a few grains to change the trajectory of the ejected brass!

Greg

jimmy

Sounds like your Gold Cup has a commendably consistent ejection pattern! Not like the last Colt I fired, which sent brass all over the place. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the hot-brass-in-clothing scenario is always a hoot at the range. Like when the bottom ejection on my Browning .22 semiauto sends hot cases into my shirt cuff. For some reason, everybody who sees this really enjoys it. For the shooter, I guess it's a lesson in not breaking one's concentration. ;)

gb_in_ga

Sounds sorta like what I went through while I was in the Army: I'm a lefty, and for a goodly part of my tour in Germany I was issued this 1 particular M-16, which had the annoying habit of ejecting just about straight back. Straight back, as right down the neck of my T-Shirt -- OW! That hot brass smarts!

abelew

The absolute best hot brass experience, is on a military firingline, firing 3 round bursts, in prone position, when all sorts of hot brass was going down the back collar of my BDU top, yowza! After a while, those things can get hot!

gb_in_ga

abelew:

Sounds pretty similar. There wan't any such thing BDU's back then (mid 70's), but down the front of my fatigue shirt is what I was getting. We were issued M16-A1's, so we either got standard semi-auto fire or we were training our trigger fingers for 3 round bursts. It wasn't hard-wired for 3 round bursts like the newer models. Even then, that was for all practical purposes the same brass and it was just as hot as you describe.

Edison

I caught a fired casing between my eyeglass frame and the bridge of my nose one day at the range. It lodged there while I did a jig. I don't mind the usual cases in my shirt pockets, but this one burned like you know what. Mind you, I still had a loaded pistol in my right hand. I left the range with a nice burn mark on the bridge of my nose. I also have a Ruger P97 which loves to toss cases back at my forehead. Those can be painful, but nothing like the shot between the eyes.

edison

ScoutMac

Military Brass

We were training as a squad in a trench line training area with blanks and while I was shooting around a corner the sixty gunner was providing covering fire on top of the trench line and the brass was raining on me and my kevlar. Now it was also raining and cold so when a 7.62 casing went down my back I demonstrated a new meaning of flexible by reaching down my collar and retreaving that casing which was stuck at about belt level. And screaming to everybodies delight.

LawDog

Staff Emeritus
My partner in the Academy was very definently of the female persuasion.

During the firearms training, the partner who wasn't shooting was supposed to be watching the pistol to correct any developing bad habits.

Anyhoo, we're in Texas, it's August and the berms are blocking any hint of a breeze that might come our way.

Yeah, y'all ladies know what's about to happen.

Shelley is about to poach in her own perspiration, so she starts tugging on the collar of her shirt, trying to get some ventilation going out of habit.

About the time I unzip my paper opponent. 15 rounds, rapid, starting just above the navel and ending up betwixt his beady little eyes.

Two of those 9mm cases went right down the front of Shell's shirt.

I'm here to tell you, folks, I learned me some new cuss-words that day. :eek:

LawDog

gb_in_ga

"Empties can't possibly be that hot can they?"

Try it sometime. I can attest, from firsthand experience, that they will raise blisters. Ok, if they just bounce off it isn't so bad, but if they get trapped in your clothing up against the skin they will burn you.

longspurr

Scoutmac
I can well appreciate your predicument. One of my 308 cases landed on the neck of the shooter to my right. He was all strapped in for prone with a leather shooting jacket. The horizontal watusi he did trying to get that brass off totally blew my score - I could'nt stop laughing. The hot brass fused to his neck and left a red welt about 2" long.

armabill

I got a hot casing down my back while shooting next to my son.

I learned a few new steps to an Irish jig!! It was tricky trying to move the casing around and watching and keeping the gun muzzle down range at the same time.

foghornl

A fresh .45ACP empty down the back of the shirt will convince you that they WILL burn.

Never mind HOW I know, I just know :eek: :eek:

Andrew LB

I've had ejected casings go in all sorts of places, down my shirt coller, in my pocket, banked off my head, off my arm, off my glasses. Never had a real burn from one though. Just a little heat. ;)

smithyman

I was shooting a buddy's ruger semi-auto out on the farm. It was pretty funny, damn near every casing hit me right on the head.