Hot barrel and wandering zero?

RedneckFur

I've got a love/hate relationship with my marlin 982S .22mag. Somtimes it will shoot a .75 group at 100 yards, other days its more like 4 inches :eek:

I think it may be that i'm getting the barrel a little too hot at times.. but i dont know just how hot a barrel has to be to move the zero? I've never got it so hot its uncomfortable to touch.

I dont have a lot of experience as a bench rest shooter, so I need some advice. The rifle has a standard stainless barrel. How long should i wait in between shots to allow for barrel cooling?

I'll admit i have a bad habbit... When i get frustrated with bad groups, I loose paitence and shoot faster, making my groups worse... and so on.

RedneckFur

Seems to do both. The center seems to rise a bit, and somtimes vary slightly to one side or another, and the group opens up a lot.

I'd be tempted to blame the scope, but I dont want to give up on it just yet.

Right off the bat, I'd say the scope is fine. If it goes out of zero, chances are it wouldn't come back in at another time...

I'd just be more patient. I fire five rounds in approximately 10-20 second intervals at 200yds. Rest for five minutes, get a drink, get my breathing back to slow, smooth rhythm, and start up again.(This is a bolt action .22-250, so it may not be helpful to you).

Has it been hot and humid? Where I'm from, the humidity really slows down my firing intervals...

jlmurphy

Rimfire rifles tend to be picky about ammo preferences. The barrel dynamics are different when it becomes warm. The level of fouling in the bore can also make a difference. I would say, buy as many different brands as possible, try each one on multiple targets, completely cleaning the bore between each brand. Also make sure the action and scope are both tight.

RedneckFur

With winchester Dynapoint, it has done 1.5 to 2 inch groups.

Winchester hollowpoints have done similar groups.

PMC predator does 3-4 inch groups, but it feels like a more powerful round.

Remington V-max has given me sub 1" groups, but there are times when it groups 3 inches or worse. I'm going to start cleaning more often, and slowing down my rate of fire.

Today, when i started out and zero'd my new scope, i got a few groups with touching holes... it rapidly opened up to much larger, but would seem to close up if i let it cool for a miniute. after about 3 shots though, it would get back eratic again.

bobn

are you also changing your hold or grip on the forearm and how tight you plant it to your shoulder without realizing it? bobn

DWARREN123

May need to be bedded. Sounds more like the stock may be affecting the barrel. Make sure all action to stock mounting screws are tight but not over tightened. Does this rifle have a tube or box magazine?
If box magazine try running a thin card down between the barrel and stock, sure not have any tight/loose areas but be about the same down to 2-3 inches from action.
Being a .22 WMR it will react like a cenfire rifle in that the bullets have jackets.